The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MrBumpy

Hmmm.... bug candy

Bugs are eaten widely in Asia , though i could never bring myself to eat them i saw plenty cooked and ready to (Good protien is the phrase !) anyway , once in Northen Laos we noticed one morning that all the kids were playing with those big black beetles with a horn on the front , seems a big load had landed inthe market. Anyway they tied string to them and had them flying around in circles having a ball doing to bugs what kids do , so it was a suprise when about lunch time Mum came and got the bugs from the kids and fried them up and gave them back , the kids thought it was X-mas as they ate them. Talk about kinda suprise a toy and a meal in one (and it's good for you !)

Originally posted by 2b: the kids thought it was X-mas as they ate them. Talk about kinda suprise a toy and a meal in one (and it's good for you !)

good one!

i sometimes ate the compost worms,

and might even explore some recepees, because if a super vulcano errupts, or a big meterorite/comet strikes, and the whole world is covered in darkness what else could we eat, lol.

insects i feel are not ony high in protin like prawns, but proly contain lot's of minerals & trace elements aswell...

time to start a snail farm...

If a comet or meteorite hits, I'm pretty sure finding food will be the least of your worries :P

dher PH dont u watch movies... there will be a huge wall of water with many cheesy effects in slow motion while some crappy aerosmith song plays

I know this is wrong, but the only way I could force myself to eat bugs is if they were totally unrecognisable in appearance and texture. eg dried and powdered and then made into tortellini

i wouldnt mind trying some japanese hornet saki i saw in a documentry once.

the hornet poison is meant to give a nice numbing feeling to your mouth :D

I ate snails in red sauce in Madrid , tasted good , sorta like sea food .It was funny as the bloke at the bar had to show how to get them out of their shells , the trick is you stick a tooth pick into the fleshy bit then twist/turn the shell off in the direction the shell grows. Simple and yummy :D By the way have you ever noticed how all shells grow in the same direction ? Doesn't seem to matter if they are sea or land based they all go the same way. I noticed this when i used to live in Port Fairy and my wife started to collect a certain sea shell and put them on the kitchen window sill. As the collection grew we had them in all sizes from big to small , running from left (being the biggest) to right being the smallest . This looked cool and being the freak i am i wanted to balence this out by having the other set going the other way , but search as i did i could not find a shell that grew in the other direction (possibly anticlockwise from memory) this stuck with me and the more shells i looked at the more i noticed that this was the case , i could find none that grew clock wise :confused:

[ 12. May 2005, 06:31: Message edited by: 2b ]

tried witjuti grub once...blecck. And have inadvertantly eaten weevils, moths and an ant or too. Love crustaceans though, but prawns reallyt are the 'cockroaches of the sea'...detritus eating filter feeders...insects and crustacean share common ancestry, arthopoda. apparetnyl tarantula muscle tastes like prawn. So why do 'sea-bugs' appeal, terrestrial bugs revolt? What is it about them that we find so disgusting?

as a kid i saw once a photo of a snail shell beeing the other way round, they must be extreemly rare, it was a culinary (vinyard snail) called the koenigs schnecke, this happend in austria.

Perhaps the snail shell growth direction is influenced by which hemisphere its in,like water and hurricanes are.I,ve noticed that all the twining vines all seem to grow from left to right around things here,anyone know if this is different in the northern hemisphere?

[ 12. May 2005, 23:54: Message edited by: Andrew ]

Actually the reason all shells grow in the same direction is because of the stereochemistry involved.

I'm not a chemist, so I can't explain it further, but when I asked a friend who has a degree in chemistry what the word "stereochemistry" means he said it's the orientation that the molecules or whatever go in, and used seashells as an example.

I'm sure a google would turn up better results.

quote:

Perhaps the snail shell growth direction is influenced by which hemisphere its in

That was my initail thoughts , this way in the south the other in the north and slugs come from the equator :D

has nothing to do with coriolis force...

and apo i think food would be on our mind if say a super vulcano erupts, because the whole world would get put in darknes. surviving the eruption or impact would be only a problem for a few million people, the rest suffers only because of the darkness. and if its dark nothing grows.