The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ZooL

Free plant id apps

Anyone have any good free plant id app or site suggestions?

The place i live has a big garden, like 1.5 acres kinda things with many different plants and trees. Who every used to live here must has been a really avid gardener or owned a nursery or something because there are probably more than 1000 different plants, I have used a couple plant id sites but end up getting through a couple meters and then they want me to pay before i can more, some i could use proxies to get a few more free ones before being asked to pay again but that was just a mess around.

Are there any free ways to do this or am i gonna have to pay?

I have found that plantnet struggles with cactus identification - it ask for leaf, bark etc when you add a photo for identification and no matter which one I pick it cannot seem to identify cactus. Says cannot find anything.

However for random plants it seems to do a good job.

Never tried plantnet on a mushroom, I have a paid app for  mushrooms. Not happy to pay but it is the only app that has any success picking mushrooms.

Edited by Ishmael Fleishman

Fair point. I've never even dreamt of using pl@ntnet for cactus ID. But it's a user-driven database, so those experts among us could upload new data. I guess "spines" are vestigial "leaves"? But you often need to see the flower, in any case, to ID some cactus spp. 

Are you sure plant https://identify.plantnet.org is unlimited free? I have a memory of using that one and having to use a proxy after hitting some weekly or monthly limit. But i likely never made an account or used an app and would have just used the web version so may have just been that, it was also a few years back so may be different now.

I've only used the iPhone app, without any limitations (so far). I don't even have a registered account. But I only use it every now and then. 

I recently installed iNaturalist - might try it on a few things to see how it does & report back.