The Corroboree
EthnoDan

High Thujone Absinthe

Hi all,

does anyone have any recipes they would like to share on how to make a high thujone absinthe as i am looking to make my own after i harvest. 

Highest thujone content possible is the goal, taste is the second priority.

Thanks

Dan

Edited by EthnoDan

absinth has thujone? isnt that a chemical found in Salvia officinalis?  

On 14/04/2020 at 11:35 PM, sagiXsagi said:

absinth has thujone? isnt that a chemical found in Salvia officinalis?  

yeh its found in wormwood and mugwort and a few other plants as well

I have been doing a bit of brewing over the last few months and although I am not attempting absinth my brews have been sage rosemary and wormwood based instead of hopped and I am liking the difference from hoppy beer.

Anyway, from a vague recollection in my head, I may be wrong but my memory tells me that sage has a much higher thujone content than wormwood, so if thujone content is the goal, maybe sage rather than wormwood as the base.

Wormwood is way bitter, it is very easy to overdo it and be left with something quite undrinkable, much harder to do with sage, it gets a sweet tang that is hard to drink but is easier to down than the too strong bitter wormwood that cuts the tongue down the middle.

Try using Sage for the thujone and the other ingredients to adjust for taste when you have the strength you like under control, is what I would advise, but try lots of different things if you have the space and time, you might discover something outside of your expectations that works for you, I have had lots of flops but some great ones too, and those are the ones we do it for!

• Like 1

Absinthe is easy to make (and delicious). NOt sure why its not more popular here because it is refreshing on  a hot summers arvo.
If you wanted to up the thujone you could soak the wormwood in the neutral overnight before cutting it down to 50%

A lot of the stuff about absinthe is propaganda from the wine industry.  At some point in time France (Europe as well?) had a a pest that decimated their wine crops. At the same time french soldiers were getting a little bit of medicinal absinthe in their ration packs.  Returning soldiers didnt have any wine so they started drinking absinthe, as did a lot of other people.  After a while the vintners developed a strain of grapes immune to the disease but everyone like the absinthe better. The wine industry set about starting a smear campaign against absinthe. This is where many of the myths of absinthe come from.  After the ban another drink was created which is pretty similar, its called Pastis. Its still pretty popular in the south of France and amongst french kids who want to get drunk for cheap. 

This is a tried and true recipe:

5L neutral @ 50%
135g star anise
60g chopped wormwood
8.3g crushed fennel seeds
1 stick cinnamon
6 cracked cardamom pods
2 pinches of white and black pepper
1 nutmeg, cracked
8 cloves

Just chuck all these herbs in a little pot still, chuck 100ml of heads and then collect about 2.4L. My final alcohol content was 78%.

This is an absinthe bleu so its clear instead of green. To make it green you'd soak some melissa and petit wormwood for a day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1