The Corroboree
faustus

my 1st sensory deprivation tank

(check out the pic :D )

images aren't working for me in IE or Firefox and I'd *really* love to see what you've done! :(

I notice they're externally linked, any chance of reposting them? Pretty please.

An interesting experience that was reported by my sister was that her dickey back problem was releived for a few days after a session - she was floating about in the tank and just moved slightly and felt a click/crack and when she got out her back was right! She put it down to the complete weightlessness in the water relieving the pressure on the vertebrae.

Has anyone else had any similar experience?

Also if anyone knows of a reputable one in Melbourne (my sister is interstate) could you please post it here or PM me?

Cheers!

FNF72

aww why did you have to say that? now i want what i can't have.

Also if anyone knows of a reputable one in Melbourne (my sister is interstate) could you please post it here or PM me?

http://www.extradimension.com.au/

I've been here a couple of times and found it great. It's a combined tank/massage service run from a backyard in Melbourne's northern suburbs.

bump

Faustas, any chance of reposting the pics???

I'm dead keen to see what you've done as I've been dreaming of doing this for a while now.

Cheers

Bump!

It would be good if you could repost pictures man. They dont work for me either. Can you tell us about your experiences with it? I've got John Lillies The quiet center waiting to be read. I read a little bit the other night in which he talks about meeting 'Beings' and overhearing a telepathic conversation they were having about him. Very cool. Have you had anything like that happen?

Where did you get the blueprints to make your own tank, or did you start from scratch?

cheers

seconded,

your a cool cat faustus jealous

Bump

Pictures?

your a cool cat faustus jealous

that's what my mother tells me all the time, so tell me something i don't know :wink:

so here's the deal.

home made sensory deprivation tanks are a complete hassle CUNT to maintain. you need to test the water quality regularly and administer liquid bromine (cholorine evapourates too quickly in higher temperature for some reason). and you gotta filter the solution on a weekly basis. i haven't touched the tank in over a year, and it's pissing me off. so if you want a tank, you need to be really good and disciplined in maintaining it.

right now, in my life i have multiple side-projects running simultaneously. research-wise, uni-wise, personal growth wise, exploring ideas, films, fire poi etc. and in all honestly, there's so much shit going on that sometimes my brain feels like it's going to explode. my ambition far, far exceeds my motivation.

thinking about the tank that i'm no longer using but spent like an entire year carefully designing and constructing makes me feel like shit, because i never fully explored this to its full potential. i have underlying anxiety problems and it took a long time to "let go" but i found that after a month daily 1hr use of the tank was extremely refreshing, and after consistent use i would get quite distinct simple open eye visual "simulations" in the tank. these visions remain to this day, but are nowhere close to the sort of things john lilly has described in his books.

over time, it got to a point where me even looking inside the tank in daylight would evoke these simulations in my visual field. sometimes simply entering a dark room will evoke similar visuals.

from what i've been told, getting into a sensory deprivation tank after banging up 150mg ketamine I.M. evokes quite unusual states of consciousness. i recommend a sitter (cf DM turner) although the silly cunt who banged it up with out a sitter, engages in reckless, self-sabotating behaviour on quite a frequent basis

so, does any cunt want to buy my tank for a reasonable price?

it has an extremely good thermostat accurate accurate to .1 degree. when the water reaches 34.5C, the heaters switch off . there's a few structual things that you might need to change, like the roof, which really pisses me off. but the base structure which is the most important part of the tank, is sturdier and pervious to all.

my work with sensory deprivation is by no means over, but i think i need to revisit this at a future date when i have more time and more money. there's just so much other shit going on in my life right now that i need to confront the fact that i'm better off selling it to someone who will use it.

+ i need money to get to EGA :wacko:

so, in a desperate attempt to earn some coin, PM me if you are interested in buying the tank from me and i'll give you the full specs and pics and all the info that you need to do to get it operational. you may or may not need to buy some titanium submersible heaters which from last inspection several months ago appeared a little corroded, but these are quite cheap -- good quality german made quality shit. the good thing is that insulation is quite good, and once the temp is at 34.5 degrees, the heaters will flick off and the heat that your body generates will be sufficient to maintain it at the proper temperature.

i'm in sydney. i have a lot of books and research papers on this topic, and have various ideas for self experiments that i can pass onto interested parties.

so what's the market rate for sensory deprivation tank? i dunno -- PM me and we can come up with a price that we're both comfortable with (i really can't give an estimate right now, i have an exam tomorrow and am trying to think of ways of slipping in the word cunt before the end of my post.

and no -- the cunt i used in the above sentence certainly doesn't cunt.

laterz.......... B)

• Like 1

You obviously spent a shittonne of time and effort into making it, so why not just rent it out? Give a discount for a regular user who lives locally so they can maintain it to take the pressure off you. Lets you keep it for when you do want to use it, but still gives you some side-coin. I guess you might have issues with insurance if something goes wrong so I'd probably just keep it amongst friends and acquaintances etc.

hah, thought about that except one detail... you need a shower right next to the tank!

the tank water is close to saturated with epsom salts... in fact, depending on the temperature of the water, crystals will form. as soon as you step out, the water evapourates and your body is completely covered in fine salt ... hence the need for a shower right next to the tank!

epsome salt is great for the skin though, it's got a really soft soapy feel to it.

Ahh yeah that's right. I'd forgotten that from the one time I went in one. If you're just inviting people you know/know of, let 'em use the garden hose biggrin.gif

Maybe give it to a center with tanks, for free, with the condition you get to use it for free? Because yeah, all that money, it'd be worth exploring further..almost indeffinately. Or just keep it untill you do have the time to explore further.

Thanks for that though man, i was seriously considering building my own and had even started (lazily) researching the idea. Sounds like a lot of piss farting around, and even more with the finished product. Deffinately something i want to experience and if i had the money i could see myself wanting to make it a regular thing. I'm quite sure, the more far out things John Lilly described in some of his books were aided by drugs. Although i cant be sure, but i doubt sensory deprevation alone could elevate a person to those states. Just my opinion.

So, what sorta visual simulations? Patterns? Objects etc?

cheers

bump.

so i REALLY wanna get rid of this mother fucker. it's taking up space and the sight of it depresses me re constantly seeing a completed project, the spoils of which i never full got to appreciate. the key components of the tank, and which make it dope are:

- an insanely powerful mother fucker of a pool pump

- thermostat accurate to .1 C

- loads of fucking salts

i'm close to just saying "name your offer" ...

actually fuck it. anyone interested, and i'll give it for dirt cheap. just PM me to discuss.

Although i cant be sure, but i doubt sensory deprevation alone could elevate a person to those states. Just my opinion.

i agree, i don't think most people would be able to go that far.

however, i recommend you read his book "the deep self" ... essentially he argues that in the absence of sensory input the brains of ALL people will create sensory output, if only just random firing of sensory neurons, as an attempt to deal with the "boredom" of no sensory input. bah, too tired to write something more detailed -- but i highly recommend reading the deep self.

So, what sorta visual simulations? Patterns? Objects etc?

simple open-eye patterns e.g. two colours, taking up say the area of half of your computer monitor in my visual field. i have underlying anxiety issues, so had to spend a lot of time just dealing with that e.g. fidgeting, but eventually things started to come together. however, summer drew to a close, and because i didn't have a shower right next to it, i progressively phased out my use of it in the warmer months.

i regret it, but when i've got a stable full-time job i definitely intend to buy a new tank

Edited by faustus

arrrgghh

i so would

except for the 'requires maintenance' bit.