The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

Hillbilly grow log, of sorts

Yep... The rabies

So today a couple of the astros have popped, i took a pic, but again my photography skills are not so good LOL

11987062_10206735111530761_6941653073468

I also noticed the some of the icaros have developed a bit of fuzzy mould on the seeds themselves. So ill leave the lid off that one and see how they look in the morning. If that dont knock it back a bit i might try and spray them tomorrow with some fungicide

• Like 2

Well, the fungus dried out without any chemical intervention, that was really my hope all along. so this makes me happy.

Pretty much everything is up now, i really need to figure how to take some pics as my phone just aint upto the job.

Some interesting observations i have made so far are, the icaro seed really was huge compared to the regular tricho seeds and they pretty much have gone beserk. Close to all of them up and powering ahead of the other trichos.

The fancy astro seed i bought from varigated and monstrose plants are powering along compared to the other astro seed. Its early days yet but there seems to be maybe 30-50% that could be varigated already too. I really should have had peres ready to go for grafts if needed

The watertrade pach seed i got from olive Has gone off. They were pretty fine seed but seemed to have swelled a lot more than any other trichos. They went from reasonable sewing rates to competing for room already. Theyre all up and fighting it out and are close second behind the icaro.

So now to figure how to take decent pics LOL

• Like 3

How do u keep them seperated in the tubs could lead to a disaster

looking good!

The icaro seed I got didn't seem any bigger than usual, been looking for Azetkium hintonii for a while,do you have a source? I think i'm going to go ahead and make a set-up like this one, did you use 6500k bulbs or 2700k?

Im not 100% sure but they are very daylight colour so i would say round the 6000k area

I did manage to get a decent pic though with the advise of a couple of members that pmed me

12000141_10206755120950984_591599833_n.j

I think icaro is a good collection!

Seems to display something akin to hybrid vigor compared to most straight species :)

• Like 1

they seem to be powering alone with watertrade pach a close second. The astros are pretty big too. Im kind of kicking meself i didnt have peres ready to go. there area few of what look to be varigates.

• Like 1

More pics please! :wub:

Ill do an update this weekend, i got a few more seeds to go in too and few peres to prop in one tub i think

• Like 2

Tick, tock, tick, tock

I think you're built up enough suspense. Come on already ;-)

ahh i been a bit slack with updates. The trichos are really doing well. I have lightly misted them with some weak seasol a couple of times as they start to dry out and they seem to love it. Ive done the same with the astros but a few of them have damped off since then so maybe they dont like the direct misting so much

Here are the trichos

Icaro,

12208697_10207053771537062_3917309190451

Top right is tig cross con, to the left of that is lance cross funkoid. Below those two is bridge, with icaro again on the left

12208677_10207053771097051_4798853519019

Way too much in this pic too mention i think lol

12189053_10207053770617039_1059142426220

• Like 1

The astros dont look as nice but still not a total disaster. I think i still have at least 90% of what actually germinated. Intrestingly the arios all survived in the same tub although not many actually germinated.

No Azetekums germinated at all

12189053_10207053770617039_1059142426220

• Like 2

I think the most important lesson so far is to make sure you have suitable graft stock ready to go before sewing seeds and not to mist onto astros.

the germination cabinet had another shelf empty so i made one tub of peres cuttings for future grafts and the final tub i sewed some more cacti. Ill make a list of whats in there when i get chance, so far some of those seeds have been pretty crap germ rates. But they were kinda dubious seeds, crested pants and stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Hillbillios.

The rabies has taken another good man

• Like 1

I about to start planting the veggie garden with cacti. My place is pretty trickey to have enough water fro plants and its getting worse every year. So im thinking to give up with veggies and just plant cacti in there.

Thats when you know you got rabies bad

Forgoing food for cacti.

Defently the cactus rabies

• Like 1

Well the astros have nearly all gone, at first i thought it was damping off. but i have just realised there are some kind of knats i there and i can see the tops eaten off some of the ones left. Im pretty dissapointed i didnt notice them earlier, there were some kick ass looking plants in there.

Oh well these things happen..

ON the pluss side the rest of the cacti are really powering along im starting to think about moving them out from under the lights and into a shady spot outside already.

What seed did you use, Hillbilly? Use a purely mineral soil and the fungus gnats can go fuck themselves. ;)

Edited by Evil Genius

I used zeolite so its is a pure mineral soil, Its funny the gnats seem to be just in that container that has the astros and non of the others. I guess it was a bit of bad luck and non-observance on my part. i did add a little bit of native fertiliser to the mix, maybe thats where they came from.

The seeds were from a few different sources. A couple of local sellers on ebay a couple from star astrophytum. The local sellers seemed to all have excellent germination rates and very fast too, but some of the seeds from star were a bit slow and less than 50%, some were good but others weren't. so i think maybe some of their seed is a little older