The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gerbil

The simple plant isoquinolines

In about a months time, dymocks in melbourne (lower ground 234 colins off top of my head) should have a few copies of this book by sasha shulgin (and another author aswell, i can't remember without looking it up). They will be shipped from the states late this month. I think they said they are getting 7 copies.

I put an order in for this, and am pretty sure it will be hardcover as the isbn i gave was for the hardcover version.

I've been told it's $59 AU, so anyone interested should book one now before they are gone.

I've also seen pihkal and tihkal also advertised for good prices, pihkal was about $35 i think. now thats a bargain if it's the real price.

(or you can donate a large amount to erowid and get them all signed )

[ 04. March 2004, 12:27: Message edited by: gerbil ]

the new books is not at all the style of tihkal or pihkal, so don't be disappointed when you get it. It is a collection of scientific data so dry even I needed a beer to wash it down with

Sasha was talking about qihkal (or a different title) some time ago, so I wonder if this is just a taste of things to come... anyone know?

hey torsten,

I was aware of the different style, thanks for mentioning it though :) If i can't take it in at first, one day it'll make sense.

I hope your right about another book, i also remember something said about another one being done in the same way as the last two.

torsten,which plants does the book mainly relate too if thats a viable q ?

thanx

t s t .

Unlike the previous two books this one covers a much wider variety of families - about 25 or 30 of them I think. So, short of listing the family index I don't think this is an easily answered question.

On flicking through it last night I read the forewords for the first time. It confirms that this is not the 3rd book in the series, but rather just a technical appendix to it.

I thought PIHKAL was banned.

Heres the link just search for pihkal and tick the RC material box:

http://www.oflc.gov.au/content.html?n=46&p=35

I mean generally books listed like this are seized by customs when they are found. I've had books seized by customs before and it just sucks to have hundreds of dollars of information destroyed.

Edit: I included just the database search link instead of the specific link so as not to ruin the page format, as it did.

[ 05. March 2004, 21:21: Message edited by: Benzedrine ]

that's a bit of a bold statement theo.

I can't imagine sasha working on hundreds of boring compounds if only two of them have potential....

The book deals with the chemistry of plant isoquinolines and is not devoted to entheogens in the least.

They are mentioned only if they fall into the iso. category, and then only as compounds with no reference to any activity.

Nuciferine and related apomorphine alkaloids are isoquinolines.

Sasha and I discussed Blue Lily over dinner and looked up some of the compounds in the book, but he had no further information to impart.

The other author is Sasha's daughter.

At first, Sasha said that kt's book on sacred cacti and oterh succulents removed the need for him to do a cactus book, but he is reportedly working one one now.

He had found some interesting and as yet unmentioned compounds in various Tricho species, last I heard.

[ 06. March 2004, 04:10: Message edited by: friendly ]

Different people have different iodeas of what is interesting, Torsten. There are plenty of chemicals I like the look of that I would never bother anyone about unless they were as obsessive as I am.

Thanks, friendly. I thought he was only dealing with the very simple isoquinolines. With the lotuses and poppies involved things become far more intriguing.

:rolleyes:

[ 06. March 2004, 08:14: Message edited by: planthelper ]

wow,... would'nt that be great to have sasha as a dinner friend...

Sasha was kind enough to forward me a signed copy of this book. I think I took it out of the box once or twice. Otherwise I don't have the slightest idea what to do with it.

~Michael~

..."got any 'E' bud?"

"Got...? Come over Saturday night,and I'll introduce you to the maker!!"

WOW :cool:

Gerbil, you said you have seen PIHKAL advertised, was this on a website that would ship from the US? I have seen this on Dymocks, Collins and A&R websites. I wonder why they wouldn't have first checked the status on shipping it into Australia, and still advertised it.

Jon

You should see his lab. :cool:

I have some photos of us in the lab, smiling away.

Quite innocently, of course...

The Isoquinoilne book deals with the changes made to the two ring structure of natural iso-alkaloids by adding an orthodox hydrogen molecule to different positions around the ring structure and the resulting compounds created thereby with no attention paid to potential activities, as was done in PiHKAL and TiHKAL.

"...the final compromise was to establish separate entries for all the known two-ring isoquinolines that are from natural sources,including those that carry a third ring as a substituent (such as a benzyl group) at the 1 position. And within each of these entries, there are included all natural alkaloids that can be seen as products of a hypothetical attack of an ortho hydrogen molecule on this substituent on some other position of the isoquinoline nucleus."

(The Simple Plant Isoquinolines, intro, pg. ix).

[ 07. March 2004, 12:45: Message edited by: friendly ]

I found the easist way to get a book you want lik etha is to go to a big book cahin and order it - seem they dont care about customs, it just gets shipped in with the rest of their bulk orders.

And ive bought things from amazon that i found out later would prob have been nicked. Like the mushroom cultivator by stamets and chilton.