The Corroboree
☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

What's your top 5 Australasian fishy species? (or other aquatic life)

ok mine are so far

1# Barramundi - Lates calcarifer

4628124660_979bc4706d.jpg

2# Port Jackson shark - Heterodontus portusjacksoni

requin-port-jackson-heterodontus-portusj

3# Striped catfish - Plotosus lineatus

MKA-01%20Striped%20eel%20catfish,%20Plot

4# Mahi mahi - Coryphaena hippurus

mahi-mah-dolphin-fish.jpg.jpg

5# Murray cod - Maccullochella peelii

MaccullochPeeliiPaddyRyan.jpg

• Like 2

i reckon for me maybe the freshwater saw fish, Pristis mircodon

then the freshwater whip ray Himantura dalyensis

then maybe the desert goby, Chlamydogobius eremius

Lake eachem rainbow would have to be up there, just as a good one to pick for the conservation story. There really are lots of pretty good rainbows

Cant forget the alligator gars strongylura krefeti either

Id really like to do some propper exploring up north before i get too old

• Like 1

*quote El Presidente with added piccies - tried to find the nicest ones , hope they'll upload ok*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i reckon for me maybe the freshwater saw fish, Pristis mircodon

tumblr_lzrx8yuxpX1qmyzzpo1_500.jpg

then the freshwater whip ray Himantura dalyensis

047-gw-321.jpg

then maybe the desert goby, Chlamydogobius eremius

2_ChlamydoEremiusRKweb.jpg

Lake eachem rainbow Melanotaenia eachamensis would have to be up there, just as a good one to pick for the conservation story. There really are lots of pretty good rainbows

M.eachamensis%20%5BLake%20Euramoo%5D.NA.

Cant forget the alligator gars strongylura krefttii either

Strongylura-krefftii-01.jpg

Id really like to do some propper exploring up north before i get too old

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow ! beautiful fishies these thank you kindly :)

I added pics to your quote so folk wh might not look em up can see em cuz they're so awesome !

-we get some rainbows here in aquaria but not many , - fascinating genus indeed!

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

1.Murray Cod

Pieces of art really, incredible in their design and camouflage. Glad to see them making a comeback. You where eaither reminiscing about a bygone era or bullshitting if you said u caught a cod when I was growing up on the Lachlan river. Now people are going out catching 40 or so. Unsure how I've heard a few theory's. Everyone respects them out here, hardened rednecks and testosterone pumped tense boys always stick to bag and size limits of they do keep any at all. have a lot of significance in aboriginal dreaming as well im pretty sure a giant one was meant to have made these river systems here. It's a cool story of I can find it I'll post it.

2. Coral trout. Look amazeballs and taste even better than amazeballs.

3.black drummer fish. "Pigs" powerful lil fish that live in all that hecticness of crashing waves. Can fight!

4.European carp. Out here they are big, dumb (or are they?) I give em credit they came out and here and just went nuts. Gotta give em credit as a species for adapting and surviving. They have had a rapid decline here as well which is all tied in with one increased cod number theory but that's a whole nother thread. Used to catch em on flys "the mud marlin" is another name for them on light gear. Much fun.

Ah number 5, so fish hey? I'll offer two- great white shark? Are they fish? If so defo no.5 pick. They scare shite outta me and I swear there's one waiting for me to take up surfing or go into the ocean beyond the point where my feet can't touch the bottom. Them jumping great whites in Sth Africa are pretty hectic!

If a great white ain't a fish then I'm gonna go withhhhh

A stonefish. What bastards. What point do those barbs serve ? To fuk shit up that stands on u? Is that evolution? Why not swim into deeper water, why lie on the bottom in shallow water. Is this darwins theorem working in favour of a really lazy fish? I don't get the stonefish at all. It's an enigma. Looks pretty cool would be good in a tank but would kill u after an hour with boredom. Nope I'm gonna sit here and wait for something to fall in my gob fuked of im gonna move to actually go get it and if something falls on me or touches me they are going to die or be writhing in pain. Shazam the universe provides- go stonefish. If I am to reborn as a fish I want it to be a stonefish.

• Like 1

I've caught both a massive Barra (102cm) and a huge Murray cod (88cm) and man did the cod kill me. It was a fuckin killer hey, 2hrs of hell. The Barra honestly had nothing over the muscle ball cod. Ill have to hit the olds up for photos!

Silver perch are fun if you have a stocked dam and bass are shit hot an hour from here in cicada season. I got a 45cm golden perch once that shook a barb straight thru the webing in my hand too. Aussie fish are tough as guts, wish I still loved me fishin

• Like 1

striped trumpeter (Latris lineata)

Tasty :wink: - you get sore arms on these usually...lol... fish for them in depths of 100's of metres.

1239893_503780549713137_1276119268_n.jpg

Spotted Handfish (Brachionichthys hirsutus)

little freak of limited range

id0992-p-SpottedHandfish-l.jpg

Flathead ( a coupla species THOUGH)

Tasty... fresh caugh "lizard" is best

flathead+fish+lizard+australia+Platyceph

Australian grayling (Prototroctes maraena)

yes, they do smell like cucumbers :wink:

grayling.jpg

Short-finned eel (Anguilla australis)

short-finned-eel-gs-311-copy.jpg#

• Like 1

@incog come for a weekend down the Murrumbidgee I'll show you some monster private holes! My family still has Land on some great remote spots. The cod love it. Trout cod are there seasonally too but never see em over 30cm

• Like 2

Great white shark is definitely a fish but have 6 if you want cuz your fishies are superb!

#2 is on fire!

*added pics for incog quote cuz it's easy and fun to find em with superspeed here- hope i get em right tho*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Murray Cod Pieces of art really, incredible in their design and camouflage. Glad to see them making a comeback. You where eaither reminiscing about a bygone era or bullshitting if you said u caught a cod when I was growing up on the Lachlan river. Now people are going out catching 40 or so. Unsure how I've heard a few theory's. Everyone respects them out here, hardened rednecks and testosterone pumped tense boys always stick to bag and size limits of they do keep any at all. have a lot of significance in aboriginal dreaming as well im pretty sure a giant one was meant to have made these river systems here. It's a cool story of I can find it I'll post it.
murray+cod+australia+big+huge+world+reco

2. Coral trout Plectropomus leopardus. Look amazeballs and taste even better than amazeballs.
8175038525_2400d39178_b.jpg

3.black drummer fish Girella elevata. "Pigs" powerful lil fish that live in all that hecticness of crashing waves. Can fight!
maxresdefault.jpg

4.European carp Cyprinus carpio. Out here they are big, dumb (or are they?) I give em credit they came out and here and just went nuts. Gotta give em credit as a species for adapting and surviving. They have had a rapid decline here as well which is all tied in with one increased cod number theory but that's a whole nother thread. Used to catch em on flys "the mud marlin" is another name for them on light gear. Much fun.

common-carp.jpg

Ah number 5, so fish hey? I'll offer two- great white shark? Carcharodon carcharias Are they fish? If so defo no.5 pick. They scare shite outta me and I swear there's one waiting for me to take up surfing or go into the ocean beyond the point where my feet can't touch the bottom. Them jumping great whites in Sth Africa are pretty hectic!

6d9e438f806d538b83e8e23ba8d3416c_large.j

Incredible+images+jumping+great+white+sh

If a great white ain't a fish then I'm gonna go withhhhh

A stonefish -Synanceia genus. What bastards. What point do those barbs serve ? To fuk shit up that stands on u? Is that evolution? Why not swim into deeper water, why lie on the bottom in shallow water. Is this darwins theorem working in favour of a really lazy fish? I don't get the stonefish at all. It's an enigma. Looks pretty cool would be good in a tank but would kill u after an hour with boredom. Nope I'm gonna sit here and wait for something to fall in my gob fuked of im gonna move to actually go get it and if something falls on me or touches me they are going to die or be writhing in pain. Shazam the universe provides- go stonefish. If I am to reborn as a fish I want it to be a stonefish.

stonefihs2.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:wub:

p.s. oh yeah cyprinids are smart (carps) should see the rigmarole and skills folk have come up with over here for outwitting em ... some are pure genius and some : milliatary precision

zig rigfloater2.gifkd-rig.jpg360-rig.jpgTB-rig.jpglong-hair-fishing-rigs.jpg

i like em because i can use them for indigenous cyprinids like tench [Tinca tinca]

tench.JPG

and very very smart chub [Squalius cephalus] but they're even more fun on lures [espesh' surface poppers].

golav%20new.jpg

and also large perch [Perca fluviatalis] but then spinners rawk for them ,and bass lures too

Perca%20fluviatilus%20Rudie%20Kuiter.jpg

• Like 1

@WB - love flatheads , they would've been 6th on my list cuz i've seen so many of them caught on t.v. over the years,

almost decades..

and what a beauty in that pic too!

-love graylings never seen one of those though!

used to these ones over my way

grayling.jpg

yeah I've got the tench and redfin perch down this way. I've caught some monster tench before.

Both or those are not to be returned back to water by law here.

• Like 1

@ artist dood

sounds awesome!!!

I've never caught anything that took longer than 25 mins to fight !

and I feel ya too

I fished for 20/1 years solid [lol even at 4am before school] before switching to aquaria for the 12 years since then... would defo recommend that though.. very therapeutic..

and if you do fancy a bash at aquaria [if you haven't already], give us a shout if you need anything knowing ;)

eat the perch mate so long as they're good 'uns , they're absolutely beautiful food, mind you, I'll bet you probably already know ..

Defo my fave eating fish of all.

- could just demolish a bag of perch and chips right about now :drool2:

1) Synchiropus splendidus

2) Rhinomuraena quaesita

3) Cromileptes altivelis

4) Neoceratodus forsteri

5) mantis shrimp

see if you can find some nice pics of those species thunderhorse :)

• Like 1

*image modded quote coolname*

1) Synchiropus splendidus

5584429.jpgstock-footage-mandarinfish-synchiropus-sdsc2226s_by_sekundkvadrat-d63djlv.jpg

2) Rhinomuraena quaesita

4f6f5cf1b12b1.jpg497_2.jpeg6671195095_2261ff2201_b.jpg

3) Cromileptes altivelis

Cromileptes_altivelis.jpg5489.jpgCromileptes-altivelis1.jpg

4) Neoceratodus forsteri

0058_Neoceratodus%20forsteri.jpgrogozyb08.jpgLungfish3OpenCage.jpg

5) mantis shrimp
87770252.jpg?w=600&h=600&keep_ratio=1&we3390061_orig.jpgmantisshrimp_infographic_final.jpgPeacock-Mantis-Shrimp-8-910x1365.jpg
see if you can find some nice pics of those species thunderhorse :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gorgeous selection !

there's plenty of warnings about these "pistol shrimp" in the aquarium forums , they tend to come in on live rock n stuffs

but wow I didn't realise just how beautiful they were!

thanks!

• Like 1

Eating wise:

Garfish

Mullet

Whiting

Trevally

Spanish Mackeral

Queenfish- pickled or salted

Threadfin salmon

Coral trout

• Like 1

*image modded Teo' quote*

Eating wise:

Garfish

euleptorhamphusviridisd_big.jpg0210gtfishgarfish_434.jpg

7504e25b7aed03fa1814447e70c95e7b.jpg

Mullet
Diamond scale mullet - Liza vaigiensis

swimming_mullet.jpg

Myxus elongatus -sand mullet

MyxusElongatusRLing.jpg

Whiting

King George whiting - Sillaginodes punctatus

SillaginodPunctataJKF.jpgWHITING-KING-GEORGE-2.jpg

Trevally

bluefin trevally, Caranx melampygus

Caranx_melampygus.jpg

giant trevally, Caranx ignobilis

GIANT+TREVALLY+(Caranx+ignobilis+biggest

Spanish Mackeral Scomberomorus maculatus

Scomberomorus_maculatus_in_Madagascar_Resierra_pacifico2.jpg

Queenfish- pickled or salted Seriphus politus

queenfish_walt-conklin.jpg10674323395_d50d96a841_b.jpg

Threadfin salmon Polydactylus macrochir

9-1677118-gla240113fish4_fct1024x630_t62

FishingEarth-Threadfin-Salmon-11.jpg

Coral trout

seapic03-13_se01.jpgcoral-trout.jpg?w=780

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beautiful fishies Teo Thank you

I love seeing mullet :wub: reminds me of sunny docks in france n spain

hope i got the right ones :P

some freaks...lol

Pouched Lamprey (Geotria australis)

*these things give me nightmares..lol

GeotriaAustralisRK.jpg#

lamprey-llj-164-web-copy.jpg#

Giant Freshwater Lobster (Astacopsis gouldi)

worlds largest freshwater invertebrate

web_giantcrayfish_image2.jpg#au012a.jpg#

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 2

Leafy sea dragon

Black Marlin( Billfish in general, once you have caught one fishing is never the same again!)

Cobia

Yellow fin tuna ( pull a marlin backwards)

Grose Valley Spiny freshwater crayfish (Red form)

Leafy sea dragonleafy_seadragon.jpgLeafy-Sea-Dragon_Sea-world_5190.jpg

Black Marlin( Billfish in general, once you have caught one fishing is never the same again!)

N33_1045-750x498.jpgjt04.jpgmarlin-6.jpg

Cobia

Underwater-cobia.jpggirls-cobia.jpgcobia3.JPG

Yellow fin tuna ( pull a marlin backwards)

IMG_3287.jpgyellowintuna1.jpgyellowfin_tuna_ISSF_MUIR_IMG_1730.JPG?13

Grose Valley Spiny freshwater crayfish (Red form)

spec-2804-jagabar-021a-300x225.jpg

austral-005-001-300x225.jpgEuastacus_spinifer.jpg

*fell in love with yabbys on that hunt too, thankies!

and what an awesome top 5!

and i hope I got the right spiny Crayfishes :)

I've caught both a massive Barra (102cm)

barramundi+Lates+calcarifer+++biggest+fi

and a huge Murray cod (88cm) and man did the cod kill me. It was a fuckin killer hey, 2hrs of hell.

trim-and-mod.jpg

The Barra honestly had nothing over the muscle ball cod. Ill have to hit the olds up for photos!

Silver perch are fun if you have a stocked dam

BidyanusBidyanusGSchmida.jpgimage002.jpgSilver-Perch-023.jpg

and bass are shit hot an hour from here in cicada season.

Australian_bass_2.jpg1_Macquaria%20novemaculeata%20%20Tarmo%2

Australian%20Bass%20230202%20Bell.jpg

I got a 45cm golden perch once that shook a barb straight thru the webing in my hand too.

mambigua_big.jpgpic_golden_perch.jpghqdefault.jpg

Aussie fish are tough as guts, wish I still loved me fishin

sorry dood , how did I forget to add pics of fish you mentioned..

'love your fishies long time!

still soooo in love with threadfins !!

and your bass look cooler than ones I'm used to seeing!

and loving on anything with stubby/glassy noses too across the pacific already for years..

Red Freshy, only from one valley in the Blue mountains, in a national park so therefore illegal to own. I've been through that valley many times and it's crazy,they can be seen from a distance they are that red they looked cooked. I caught a very large one at the base of the falls at the Staircase that gets you into the valley. GO do this valley of you can. Certain days at the top the valley is full of cloud, it's like looking outa a plane.Grose valley.

post-6697-0-61219900-1433926356_thumb.jp

post-6697-0-61219900-1433926356_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-61219900-1433926356_thumb.jpg

Edited by nut
  • Like 1

Oh and I never told anyone God exists as I really don't freakin know, I always knew that even as an alter boy and the odds really where in my favour catching a fish at some point was just an impeccably times coincidence.

Any other take on it will see me medicated and incarcerated and really distance myself from other people.