The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Requesting help with blueberries

Hi there,

A few months back I re-potted two of my four small blueberry trees. The mix used was bunnings fruit mix, bit of washed river sand, and some 'soil fix' organic compost. From memory the mix they were in originally (and the mix the other two plants are currently in) is just bunnings fruit mix and some sand. They're fed approx once a month.

Since transplanting, the two trees began losing leaves. I assumed this to be transplant stress. A few months have passed and they're on their last legs. My assumption was wrong & I'm here to ask advice as I need to take action, although I may be too late already. Note the two which weren't transplanted are thriving. All four plants receive the same amount of sunlight, from approx 10am-2pm. Any ideas how I can save them?

I've attached some pics. Have only included one of each as the sick plants look identical, as do the healthy plants :)

Healthy plant.

post-13898-0-20105000-1424591175_thumb.j

Sick plant.

post-13898-0-24772000-1424591191_thumb.j

Would love to hear your advice. Thanks :)

post-13898-0-20105000-1424591175_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-24772000-1424591191_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-20105000-1424591175_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-24772000-1424591191_thumb.jpg

Haven't tested it. You're thinking it could be too low?

More likely too high - they prefer acidic soil.

Is the new potting mix holding too much water? Lift the pot - is it heavier than you expect?

pH would definitely be the first thing I'd check - blueberries need a more acidic soil than most other plants. You can lower the pH by adding sulphur, but this takes time to have an effect. For your really sad plants you may want to repot immediately into an azalea potting mix, which should be the right pH for blueberries. I'd probably cut them back a bit too & let them re-grow from those lower shoots. Mature plants can be pruned quite heavily to maximise yield, so I think you've got a decent chance of them bouncing back. But even your "healthy" plants are showing signs of chlorosis on the new growth, so I'd deal with this asap. They can't absorb nutrients properly when the pH is too high, so even if they don't die they won't thrive & you won't get any berries! If you don't already have some (or something like it - eg. ammonium sulphate), elemental sulfur is pretty cheap from Bunnings - you'll only need a small amount & then you can use the rest for dusting cactus wounds. Well worth it IMO - a few happy blueberry bushes are a great thing to have! And once they're thriving you can start making cuttings each year when you prune them and expand your collection and then eat blueberries & more blueberries until you feel a bit ill from eating too many delicious homegrown berries... and isn't that basically what we all want from life? :lol:

• Like 2

Apparently mulching with pine needles is good for them (meant 2 help lower ph). Mines been sick for couple of years. I just recently chopped it right back and put pine needles around. Couple months later it's looking heaps better.

Oops yeah I meant could it be too basic, mixed the two up hehe. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll swing past bunnings after work for the azelea mix & cut her back. Will also try lower the pH on the actively growing plants :)

Thankyou all. I'll update in a few weeks.

Pine needles does not make soil/potting mix more acidic, just a tale. but as other said i had mine in azalea mix worked a treat. Although I've now got them in the ground where my old compost pile use to be, the high amount of organic material should make the nutrients available to the blueberries