The Corroboree
hostilis

New cactus book supposedly comparible to The New Cactus Lexicon

Hello everyone. I wanted to get your opinions on this upcoming cactus taxonomy book. I think it looks pretty cool just because it has tons of pictures (which I love) and information about a ton of cactus species. The rumors i heard are that it's comparable to The New Cactus Lexicon, but yet it's a lot cheaper and more obtainable.

http://cactus-aventures.com/Taxonomy_of_the_Cactaceae_ENG.html

Have any of you seen this? What do you think? Will it really be a good alternative to the cactus lexicon?

Thanks!

hostilis

• Like 1

personally i think it would be disingenuous to suggest that the above book is comparable to The new Cactus Lexicon, it seems to be classifying cacti by dna sequencing.

First classification of cacti based mainly (although not only) on the molecular genetics (DNA) and explained.

Read the 4 page pdf here:

DNA Sequences & Cactus Classification - a short review

http://http-server.carleton.ca/~rgorelic/Publications/Bradleya%20(2002)%2020%3B%201-4.pdf

For me, its just another book to have (or not)

• Like 2

im pretty sure thats the guy who was selling terscheckii as validus last year and probably before too... ya know ...

and dang!

the price tags on these books are more jaw dropping than a 50yr ole validus

they should at least come complete with a full genus of your choosing (or Gymnocalycium if left blank) of plants

...or a few choice rare crests ....at that rate , and 1005 aztekium valdezii seeds :innocent_n:

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

The new cactus lexicon is such a poor work, any book compared to garbage taxonomy is insulted.

So you think the new cactus lexicon is shit? Lol. Now I don't know what to get.

And thunderhorse, validus IS terscheckii!!

Edited by hostilis

Validus is not terscheckii...

I am not convinced, terscheckii certainly is not werd...

Validus sure looks different to me.

• Like 1

I'm just teasing thunderhorse. But I do think that validus is basically a terscheckii variation.

• Like 2

t validus has me a little confused...it doesn't come up on most reputable data bases ...except

Echinopsis valida - Desert-Tropicals

though there's lots of discussion of it on general sites.......

hostilis I listed the pdf of this book earlier, I have a lot of respect for the author, he's a friendly guy who lives & breaths cacti...& is out collecting seeds from remote sources....(has a seed house for obtaining rare seeds)..that said I've yet to get around to reading it..so I can't comment.

• Like 1

Where did you post the pdf?

• Like 1

seems like an interesting book

• Like 1

aye that ^^

I'm just teasing thunderhorse. But I do think that validus is basically a terscheckii variation.

validus man B)

, validaceous validity validating virtually the most voluptuous Validocereus validus ssp' vagalidustardo x]

and one day my valid-ass is gna be a baddass :wub:

Where did you post the pdf?

Cacti & Succulents

I had a search for it...but the search here sucks...so its out there buried in June July region.....if I come across it I will forward it on...TH checked it out hence the validus thing........

http://cactus-aventures.com/Taxonomy_of_the_Cactaceae_ENG.html

e$ 169.00 ...big investment

I might have saved the file...but my filing sucks...& couldn't locate it ...yet

Edited by Dreamwalker.

I am interested in buying the book, if the author did testing work that is new.

Is it based on old testing?

I worry it might only be mitochondrial work that fails to give a clear picture of taxonomic relations.

• Like 1

Most people are using chloroplast dna right now on the notion it mutates slower than nuclear dna. I don't know what these people are looking at or if they draw from the larger body of published work. Ideally the published accounts would come into alignment with each other rather than so many seeming to repeatedly re-invent the wheel. My favorite line heard so far in the halls of academia "You're not still using data from that old ROCHE sequencer are you?"

The name validus contains one of the most interesting trichs but at least three (or more) different plants get called T. validus so discussions are aided when the conversationalists can be clear that they are really discussing the same plant.

• Like 2