The Corroboree
DiscoStu

Sydney terrorism raid evidence has 'glaring error' in translation, court told

The intercepted call at the centre of a case against a man charged with a terrorism offence after a series of raids in New South Wales has a “glaring error” in the translation, defence lawyers have claimed.

On Thursday 22-year-old Omarjan Azari made his first appearance in court since the raids in September, in which police raided more than 500 homes across Sydney. Azari was charged with conspiring to prepare an act of terrorism.

Azari’s counsel, the criminal law barrister Winston Terracini, told magistrate Greg Grogin errors had been identified in the translation of an intercepted call that was so far the key evidence disclosed in court.

He also told the court Azari was being held in the high-security Goulburn jail and has not been allowed visits by family and friends.

“There are inaccuracies in the translation,” Terracini said. “We’ve already had one look and there is at least one glaring error.

“There is no explanation why he is in Goulburn. We’ve asked for a review by correctional services and they haven’t even deigned to reply.”

Azari appeared by videolink from the prison and did not speak during the hearing.

Terracini said there had been no further evidence beyond the intercepted call, but the prosecutor, Karen Leavy, told the court more telephone intercept material was coming from the federal Attorney General’s Department.

“There’s further telephone interception material we’re waiting on release from the Attorney General’s Department,” she said.

She said 182 electronic devices had been seized as part of the counterterrorism operation.

Court documents allege that Azari “did between 8 May 2014 and 18 September 2014, conspire with Mohammad Baryalei and others to do acts in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist attack”.

The next hearing will be on 19 December.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/nov/13/sydney-terrorism-raid-evidence-has-glaring-error-in-translation-court-told

well i'll be dog gonned,

I still dont get the aussie hysteria over terrorism.

Last time I checked (admittedly, a few years) there had never once been a terrorist attack within australia.

This, according to rigorous scientific statistics, literally puts the probability of dieing of terrorism even with: spontaneously vanishing and reappearing in Berlin, machine elves exiting hyperspace and causing mischief in the streets, or being involved in a government verified space alien attack.

Even in my country one is more likely to be struck by lightning rather than be killed by terrorism, and pissing off foreigners is one of our national pass-times. Is your government just manipulating peoples irrational fears to control them?

Last time I checked (admittedly, a few years) there had never once been a terrorist attack within australia.

I can't decide if this is correct or not. Do you think the actions of the British against the original inhabitants count as terrorism, or as acts of war, or both? They managed to carry that on for quite a while

But lately, yeah. I think the hysteria is because most of us don't have anything to compare it with in our own experiences, so we rely on a drip feed from an hysterical media largely bent on keeping us distracted, stupid and scared

Possibly if this had happened in the US, it would never have made the news because the alleged perpertator was locked up in a shipping container somewhere and no-one knew why. Maybe this is a case where our comparatively low population and relative suspicion of authority makes it harder to keep quiet

Not having a dig at you Auxin, the suceptability of our population to complete spun bullshit alarms me too

I can't decide if this is correct or not. Do you think the actions of the British against the original inhabitants count as terrorism, or as acts of war, or both? They managed to carry that on for quite a while

My first impulse was to say war crimes, but I'm not sure war is a proper term when one side has no hope of fighting back in an organized and efficacious manner. Also not terrorism, because terrorism uses psychological pressure as the predominant tool to do the work of bringing down or disrupting a society.

So, 'colonial genocide'.

• Like 1

I would say burying children in gathering places up to their shoulders & kicking their heads until they came off as a deliberate psychological tactic wouldn't you?

Or hanging bodies from scared trees along trade routs?

Or, do i need to go on?

• Like 2

We are sociopathic species. It sickens me that things are only getting worse due to the clouded visions through monetary gain.

That's really horrible shortly :( :( Was that against the Aboriginal people in Australia?

Our country's ridiculous lack of perspective when it comes to our own history is fucked right up

When I was a kid I was taught from a book that said Captain Cook 'discovered' Australia, and there at the top of the page was a pic of some wigged out Pommy bloke walking off a boat towards a bunch of dark skinned people who were already camped.

Every day I hear stupid shit, like "Autralia's worst serial killer is so-and-so" when, to date I think the record was some bloke called Billy Fraser in QLD who killed scores of Aboriginal people during the resistance in the 19th century we never hear of. There were prolly ppl worse than him, maybe on both sides, but the killings were both govt. sanctioned and remote

More recently we've forgotten the lessons of history from 50 years ago- the stupid ugly of the McCarthy era, reds under the bed, yellow peril, the control of information flow by the government for our own good, and the sheer dumbarse revelations of the Hilton Hotel bombings. And now we're in for a new crop

Hardly surprising then that Australians are easy to manipulate and play wedge politics with. We're taught to do it from a young age. By the time we vote it's innate

• Like 3

We are sociopathic species. It sickens me that things are only getting worse due to the clouded visions through monetary gain.

That's really horrible shortly :( :( Was that against the Aboriginal people in Australia?

I dont believe that we are a sociopathic species, but the dominant culture undeniably is.

The death cult of crapitalism.

On the bright side it is rapidly consuming itself, and everything around it unfortunately.

It could quite easily be seen as a collective mental illness. We seem to be extraordinarily good at ignoring the obvious and justifying the unjustifiable.

And yes it was against the first australians.

It hasn't really improved a whole lot either, now they just use lawyers slight of hand instead of small pox ridden blankets and blue uniforms instead of red. The outcome is the same.

• Like 4

Is your government just manipulating peoples irrational fears to control them?

I would say it's more the media manipulating people, then the government giving the people what the media tells us we want.

I think it's amazing the amount of otherwise intelligent people who get caught up 'hating' 'boat people' but can't tell me how their lives are changed/affected.

The only terrorism we have here is the media telling us we should be afraid.

• Like 4

Definitely agree with the media setting the agenda but it is interesting that supreme sith lord murdochs ideologies always seem to weld amazingly with those that come to power and the esoteric like ability to pick the winner of pretty much every federal election since he was spawned way back in 1900 lol

• Like 1