The Corroboree
Philocacti

Lophophora head-splitting phenomena

While I read that head-splitting characteristic is known in some mammillaria species, I've witnessed this characteristic in at least 7 of my lophophoras.

I thought it might be cuz they're grafted to pereskiopsis and maybe I fertilize more than the scion can tolerate cuz I observed that, the 1st one that has done so, split right in the growing tip due to fast growth. The rest I only noticed when they already had 2 growing tips.

post-6382-0-51609600-1401436814_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-32219100-1401436871_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-07966600-1401436994_thumb.jp

What's weird is that I bought a specimen from Thailand and I've had it for 3 months and now it seems like it's displaying this characteristic as well

post-6382-0-57907800-1401437311_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-51609600-1401436814_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-32219100-1401436871_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-07966600-1401436994_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-57907800-1401437311_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-51609600-1401436814_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-32219100-1401436871_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-07966600-1401436994_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-57907800-1401437311_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Might be your fertilizer mate, I have had a grafted L.willi split due to to much ferts & a hard grown L.friccii split after to much fert. I have never seen grafted or hard grown lophs split without been over fertilized.

Cheers

Jox

Looks like over fertilization to me as well leading to dichotomous growth. When mammilaria split their skin does not break apart from what I have observed.

Your lophs look cool though whatever the cause may be.

Thanks guys

Jox - so it's common when fertilized a lot. I only fertilize my lophophoras (own rooted ones) once a month, the grafted ones I overfertilize thought

How often do you fertilize your?

Someone -But this thai specimen is showing it without any signs or injuries as well

The only time it has happened with my lophs is when I have over fertilized.

I was using liquid fertilizer at about 3/4 strength & applying 3 times a month. I only did it for about three months like this & only to a handful of my lophs. They were putting on nice growth & looking awesome (so plump), then one morning I noticed two of them had split & the others had tiny cracks forming (stretch marks), I flushed them with water & left them to dry, luckily the ones with the cracks never split, I will take some photos & add them here in the next few days.

I only fertilize my lophs 3 or 4 times a year now, normally at the start of the growing season then space the rest out to end a month before I stop watering for winter.

Cheers

Jox

• Like 1

Perhaps then it is something in your fert, soil, or water. It is definitely something environmental unless you have extremely good luck and all your lophs have this genetic quality haha. I do not believe dichotomy in cacti is fully understood yet so maybe you will unlock the key to its cause.

I do not grow lophs so I do not know how often they grow in this manner. But your pics are the first I have seen of it.

Edited by someone
  • Like 2

The only time I have had the luck to have dichotomous cacti form in my collection id when I have sown seed. I have never seen it happen to an adult cactus with out there being damage first. I would be interested to know if it can happen to a mature cactus for no apparent reason & if so why.

Cheers

Jox

Strange, I find grafted plants will split more but I've not had this happen often.

Many mamillaria spp. will often grow dichotomous both in the wild and cultivation when young and old. The cause in their case is most likely genetic. In other cacti spp. it can happen but seems less frequent. Apical damage is easy to explain but I do not believe the genes that cause it have been discovered.

It is the same case with fasciation and monstrose growth as well as the whole cacti family in general. The genetic studies just have not been conducted yet. But hopefully more studies will continue to be done as there seems to be more interest growing in cacti studies.

• Like 1

Perhaps then it is something in your fert, soil, or water. It is definitely something environmental unless you have extremely good luck and all your lophs have this genetic quality haha. I do not believe dichotomy in cacti is fully understood yet so maybe you will unlock the key to its cause.

I do not grow lophs so I do not know how often they grow in this manner. But your pics are the first I have seen of it.

I only had dichotomy when I germinated seeds, like Jox.

Since it's happening to some of mine with the thai one from a different genetic linage, so I'm guessing it's probably the fertilizer (what you guys said) plus the intense sun and the high frequency that I water.

If you had the time and interest you could test each variable to find out which it was. Personally I would just accept it and be super thrilled haha. Now if only we can force dichotomy on trichs without stalling them.

I personally prefer solitary headed lophophora, if I had 1 or 2 dichotomous one I'd be happy. However I don't want all of mine to be double headed. I'll fertilize much less and hope that no more will become double headed

Maybe if you are able to switch your lophs to an all mineral mix. From what I have seen it effectively slows down growth and promotes a natural appearance. It also looks cool when your lophs sink into the mix during dormancy.

I wish I could.....I only have 3 specimen in mineral soil with 10% compost, one of hitch is this thai williamsii (last pic).

The thing is, it gets really hot here during summer so the inorganic soil won't retain any water which I'm scared it will negatively affect them

• Like 1

I do not know the average rainfall for the lophs habitat but I assume it is on the low side. They have evolved to be drought tolerant after all. I would think the compost would help with water retention and using a drip tray could also help. But don't leave the tray full more than a day. I don't know just throwing out ideas. Your collection looks great either way and you clearly know what you are doing.

split grafts are usually from overwatering

cut back on the love to reduce splits

Edited by .dg

I get splitting if I over water/feed when the loph has gone into dormancy.
This doesnt only happen in winter but also when the lophie has been disturbed or moved. They are fussy like that,.

Edited by AndyAmine.

Here my mammalliaria that does this frequently

post-6382-0-38283100-1401685560_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-84660600-1401685707_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-38283100-1401685560_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-84660600-1401685707_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-38283100-1401685560_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-84660600-1401685707_thumb.jpg

• Like 1