The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hostilis

Correct time to put the plants outside?

Hello everyone. I am about to put my plants back outside soon. I have already left a few out and they did fine. I was wondering if you all think that this weather is okay for cacti to be out all night.

Here's the forecast for the next 10 days.

post-12824-0-99165200-1396909023_thumb.p

This is my first time putting them outside after being inside all winter. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!

hostilis

post-12824-0-99165200-1396909023_thumb.png

post-12824-0-99165200-1396909023_thumb.png

Should be fine just make sure to acclimate them to more intense light SLOWLY....

• Like 2

Yeah, I already burnt a few. I will put them under a covered south facing porch at first. Then move them out to full sun with some shade cloth over it.

I move mine out when it is a lot cooler than what your forecast shows and I find I can start them in a more intense sun area as the days are still short(er). And they acclimate to the sun's intensity gradually as the days/rays lengthen/strengthen.

I have my Tricho's In a lot more mineral mix than most do as I have high humidity year round and lots of wet weather. And terracotta all the way, so I don't worry about cool weather and rain most of the time

Edited by EthnoGuy85

Thanks for the advice. I guess as the years go by I'll find what works best in my climate.

I have mostly terra cotta pots for mine. I also have a lot of other non tricho plants. The climate I'm in is extremely hot and dry during the summer though so my soil mix for my trichs and even for my mexican cacti has some added water retentive properties just to help them stay well watered.

Weather Report in Celsius (°C) - ( Spring has arrived! )

AprilWeather.jpg

Edited by AZS
  • Like 2

I'm so excited!!!! All my big plants have relocated to my back porch., And a bunch of pereskiopsis too. I will soon be putting my other plants (under my lights) there as well and see how they do in the sun.

Jealous of your (relatively) warm nights!!! We are almost there but not consistently higher than the mid 30s at night and occasionally still dipping into the 20s.

Edited by Kykeion
  • Like 1

Thanks Kykeion It is very beautiful out here. I'm really loving it and I'm sure my plants will as well.

Greets Hostilis -

'though USDA zones are mutable, I'd guess that I'm slightly 1, poss. 2 zones warmer than you, so I thought I'd share my experiences anyway.

I also use Terracotta to wick up excess moisture - put mine out in late February, when we were unseasonably warm - it dipped down to below freezing only once, and obviously for a short time. I always keep mine under shadecloth (but where the sun's warmth gets to them), and I am also tentative about watering for the first few weeks. Had a few burn when spring winds lifted the cloth, but otherwise healthy. we are now in drytime, so I water once every other week even though it has only now lifted to 40s F at nights. we also get heavy summer rains (which they all love, that seems to be the climate at least for the SW & Northern Mexico species, but the Trichos love it too, as the temps by then are 80s F).

Happy growing!

Cool Thanks for the info. I did end up putting all my big plants outside and even some of my grafts. I'm trying to cut out my lights so I don't have to deal with them heating up the house while it's already 100+ degrees (F) outside. The plants only get 4 hours of morning light right now and the rest is shaded. I will move them to full sun under 30% shade cloth here in a few weeks.

Looks like its going to get right down to freezing in the next couple days. Do you all think I should put them back inside?

C post-12824-0-08730300-1397352619_thumb.p

F post-12824-0-44441900-1397352618_thumb.p

post-12824-0-44441900-1397352618_thumb.png

post-12824-0-08730300-1397352619_thumb.png

post-12824-0-44441900-1397352618_thumb.png

post-12824-0-08730300-1397352619_thumb.png

How many hours will it be at/below freezing? When were they last watered? How established/mature are they seedlings or mature plants? These are always factors I take into account. My Tricho's went through 28F/-2C a couple times after moving out but they were on the dry side. And it only dipped down to below freezing for a few hours just before dawn.

I agree with EG85, there are a ton of factors to consider. Another is how close to the house or other protective structure are they? How windy will it be and how exposed to the wind are they? My trich's experienced a couple freezes as well after being put outside, but I had to bring in many other species of cacti and succulents.

Also, consider that there is a chance that it will dip below what is forecasted; a bunch of my agaves took some frost damage a month or two ago when the temp dropped about 6 degrees below what I was expecting.

Edited by Myeloblast

I took them all in for the week just incase. Thanks for the advice. I had watered them recently and I had seedlings out three too. So I didn't want to risk it.

• Like 1