The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hostilis

Rooting a single bromeliad "leaf"

So I was at walmart tonight and I noticed some awesome bromeliads. There were no species names on them so I'm not sure what species this is. Anyways I saw a fallen "leaf" so I asked a worker if I could take it and they said yes. Anyways I'm not sure how to go about rooting this or if I even can. If anyone can point me in a direction to turn this cutting into a plant let me know!! I would love to grow this plant (without buying one) Hehe.

Here's a picture.

post-12824-0-01158500-1396686915_thumb.j

post-12824-0-01158500-1396686915_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-01158500-1396686915_thumb.jpg

good luck

ill put 20 on it wont happen

Looks like a sansevieria leaf to me. If so it will root and grow if it is in fact a bromeliad leaf then it won't happen. In fact if it is a sansevieria leaf than you can actually cut it into several 2in pieces and each will root and produce new plants

• Like 4

Yeah, I saw that the plants they were selling were growing out of little sections of what looked like leaves. And thanks for the ID. I could have swarn it was a bromeliad, but this is definitely not my expertise.

EthnoGuy beat me to it, I would agree with everything he said. It looks like S. trifasciata, common name Mother in-laws tongue. Be careful if you plant it out in the garden as it can spread like crazy.

Cheers

Jox

• Like 3

the reward for growing this particular sansevieria is the most awesome honeysuckle fragrance you can imagine when the plant flowers.

• Like 1