The Corroboree

Question

Hey all,

I don't ask for many ID's these days but thought I would throw this one out there and see what people think. I don't want to add too many details about where it came from however a few points of interest.

1. I didn't grow the plant, I personally grow nearly all my plants but this one was through a trade.

2. I was told it was seed grown from seed sourced OS. I have been told the species but I want to hear your opinions first.

Last but not least I think I have a pretty good idea of the ID myself :)

Please your thoughts ?

HN

13480679374_6fefe65f22_c.jpg

Edited by Hellonasty
  • Like 3

14 answers to this question

Hi Nasty, nice Plant. Would assume it´s a seed grown Trichocereus Crest. Peruvianus or Bridgesii. It could as well be a Cereus crest because the spines are very similar, especially at that age, but I´d rather lean towards a young Trichocereus. You're not sure if it´s Tricho or cereus?

• Like 1

looks like that one that has been in mass circulation in Australia in the last two years or so.. sold as T. peruvianus crest. i don't know where the original comes from or how they got the id..

Ok thanks for your input. A little more info, the grower (who some people may know, but I will keep anon unless he wishes) stated the seed was labelled Trichocereus Pachanoi and it was grown by him in the last couple of years. As far as I'm aware it is not a clone of the original T.Peru crest doing the rounds.

EG has hit the nail on the head when it comes to why I'm asking opinions. This could well be a Cereus crest rather than a Tricho, I was promised it was definitely a Tricho and I do have some faith in the trader.

The best way to tell now I guess is graft a few sections and see how it progresses, it should become much larger once grafted for a while and then left to root.

HN

Edited by Hellonasty

on that same token, this common T.peru crest thats doing the rounds could be a cereus also. ive always wondered about it. whats the origin of the id on that one?

Edited by paradox
  • Like 1

on that same token, this common T.peru crest thats doing the rounds could be a cereus also. ive always wondered about it. whats the origin of the id on that one?

I have thought the same thing myself, I don't have that one in my collection, lets call it the "ebay clone" LOL. I remember visiting a nursery in western Sydney about 5 years ago and they were selling a few different crests, now my memory isn't the best and I didn't take a photo, but there were two crests right next to each other both about 15 bucks.

The plant on the left was most definitely the the one below which is pretty common. The plant on the right I can't remember as clearly it was a little bit bigger in rib formation and spines but didn't strike me at the time as a Trichocereus, Maybe I was wrong?

The first plant was labelled Cereus "Thai Crest", however I always thought it was Cereus Validus Monstrose Crest. Interesting looking cactus but nothing special for me :)

Cereus_crest_green_540.jpg

Here are some other crests from the web just to completely confuse everyone. Remember the ID's on these may not be correct !!

Lemairocereus (old name)

phoca_thumb_l_lemairocereus-stellatus-cr

Pilosocereus

PilosocereusglaucascensCrest-vi.jpg

Pachycereus

Pachycereus_schottii_f._cristatus_4771_m

Echinocactus

crested.w__22533.1374607529.1280.1280.jp

• Like 3

Hellonasty. The old guy that owns the biggest cactus nursery around here calls most trichocereus "Lemairocereus"

He's only convinced that trichocereus are member from the fatter girth trichos

Hey Philo,

These days I believe the most accepted name is Stenocereus :)

I have a seed-grown plant that looks really similar to the OP. The seed was sent to me labelled as Trich peruvianus crest...

When time allows I will post a piccy.

:unsure:

Very interesting.

• Like 1

Hellonasty, thanks for the info

But we're stenocereus and trichocereus ever clumped together at some point or is that old guy from the nursery full of shit?

That Echinocactus crest looks near identical to the Myrtillocactus geometrizans miniature crest I have. Not saying that mine is labeled correctly either but looks more Myrtillo to me than not.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's Myrtillocactus geometrizans.

~Michael~

• Like 1

My bet would be that it's a tricho, do a couple areole grafts and it will show its true form :)

• Like 1

That Echinocactus crest looks near identical to the Myrtillocactus geometrizans miniature crest I have. Not saying that mine is labeled correctly either but looks more Myrtillo to me than not.

Yes sorry that was my mistake.

for clarification the plant is believed to be Trichocereus Pachanoi hybrid which originated from SS

• Like 1