The Corroboree
-RC-

To Pan or not to cube?

Question

Any thoughts? Got over 100g drying, so I'd rather turf them if they're not what I think they are. :unsure:

Cheers :wink:

IMG_1364_zps85f65dfa.jpg

IMG_1365_zpsfb9942ae.jpg

Edited by Responsible Choice

19 answers to this question

Panaeolus cyanescens. It's usually easier to ID mushrooms if they are not all piled up together! :)

• Like 1

Sorry about that. These ones should make it easier.

IMG_1366_zpse98a06e7.jpg

IMG_1367_zps71af7fe4.jpg

IMG_1368_zps4703d26d.jpg

All are P. cyanescens. Very nice!

• Like 1

Hang on a second, are you sure about that?

What features make you say you are 100% sure they are cyans Tangich?

Looks more like Panaeolus foenisecii or papilionaceus or something to me, or at least its a mixed bag.

Main reason I suggest that they arent all Cyans is because they should be stained dark blue/black after handling/picking, no two ways about it and those are mostly of a more red colour.

I would suggest you spore print them all before deciding they are cyans.

Edited by AndyAmine.
  • Like 5

Spore print is black as. See below with cap responsible. The images I've seen of foenisecii look nothing like the ones I have here, and they don't have that skirt, veil or super domed shape of the papilionaceus.

IMG_1377_zpsd03fa5b1.jpg

I have been very careful picking them, so most are slightly bruised blue on the caps, but are blue ink where I pinched the stem to pick them. Maybe the flash is making them look red?

A little bit more detail - they have all been picked out of cow poo in SE QLD in low lying pastures after heavy rain and very high humidity.

Here's one I found this morning - 6.51

IMG_1376_zps8ca1dd28.jpg

Well were 1200km away so I'm sure there environmental differences etc but I'd say that's a mixed bag too. Just based on this pics, but your judgement in person would be better than mine is based on pics, just be safe there ain't much in a paddock that'll kill u, but u could get a bit sick... I've found countless weird pans that all bruise a bit blue!

• Like 1

just saying this as a general statement, not personal or directed at anyone.

If i picked mushrooms and was not 1000% sure exactly what EVERY one that went in my mouth was eg spore print ALL. then thats a pretty good way to fuck up a good trip, you don't want ANY doubt in your mind that something you ate wasn't what you thought it was!

Goes for ANY psychedelic. remember it'll change the way you think and you can very easily mind fuck yourself.

Edited by C_T
  • Like 3

Well if the stipe is white and they are staining black/blue at the core of the stipe/stem and where pinched then they should be Cyans and that last close up photo looks like the goods its just that some other stipes/stems looked quite red in the top photos and the ones that had black looked like they were more from spore staining than bruising.

If the stipe is red/brown its not a cyan and paps do grow amongst cyans.

papilionaceus are easy to mistake as they are extremely variable in expression and covers a few sub groups as well I believe.

Most deceptively they also have a black spore print (unlike foensecii) so IMO the main way to tell the difference in the field is the red colour of the stem/stipe with a bit of darker bruising compared to the white stipe with almost instant black inky staining when cyans are bruised.

When I first started hunting I found lots of them and some strained quite dark but it was a dark red/brown to black not the classic inky black/dark-blue.

If there is any red/brown, or anything else close to questionable I ditch them.

post-824-0-51393200-1396059297_thumb.jpg

On a side note, there have been TONS of pan. subbs around lately in the new estates being built around the coast. Im guessing there is myc in the top soil or turf they are laying.

Edited by AndyAmine.
  • Like 2

Cheers guys for your help. I'm 100% they are cyans. Probably should say it's not my first time picking, but in a new area I just wanted to put it out there. I have been very careful and selective, now I just have to dry some 200gs.

Thanks again :)

• Like 2

Hey guys, online mushroom IDing is kinda my full time hobby, so I'm very carefull with what I say. I would NEVER give a positive ID if I wasn't 100% sure.

Anyway, these are either P. cyanescens or one of the very closely related species in the Copelandia subgenus, which can be separated with very subtle macroscopic characteristics, and microscopy. Sadly, those are not much studied in Australia, and most finds get the label P. cyanescens. I see blue bruising on all of them, and the stipes can sometimes have reddish tinge. I'm on my phone right now so can't list all the characteristics that separete them from P. papilionaceus and P. fonisecii, but they look nothing alike, and don't share the habitat.

On a related note, spore prints do absolutely nothing to separate various Panaeolus species, as they are all black, only to differentiate P. subbalteatus from Panaeolina foenisecii. And no Panaeolus or Panaeolina are toxic (if you don't count psilocybin), so there is absolutely no danger if two Panaeolus species are accidentaly misidentified.

Thanks for your concern tough, I know I haven't been here long, but believe me I would never give a wrong ID, if I'm not sure, I keep my mouth shut!

Cheers guys! Always be safe! :)

• Like 8

I used to see hundreds of similar ones around the sunny coast, but was never sure what they actually were. I'm now wondering if they are Panaeolus antillarum. A cosmopolitan, non-active species said to be edible but not very tasty.

Got any new information RC?

• Like 1

Still picking mate, super blue cyans though as they've been out for a bit. Easy to spot though. To be fair they are mixed in with very similar others, which don't bruise blue, but a quick pick soon provides conclusive evidence :wink: Funny but the cyans darken heavily with age, but don't seem to break down as quickly as I would've expected, and they retain their turgidity pretty well too.

I actually expected to find more cubes this morning, but I have a feeling I was beaten to it :huh:

Anyway I got another 50 odd grams of cyans so I can't really complain :lol:

• Like 3

Still picking mate, super blue cyans though as they've been out for a bit. Easy to spot though. To be fair they are mixed in with very similar others, which don't bruise blue, but a quick pick soon provides conclusive evidence :wink: Funny but the cyans darken heavily with age, but don't seem to break down as quickly as I would've expected, and they retain their turgidity pretty well too.

I actually expected to find more cubes this morning, but I have a feeling I was beaten to it :huh:

Anyway I got another 50 odd grams of cyans so I can't really complain :lol:

Choice youre making me jealous as shit.

did i beat u to it?? choice

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

I'm now wondering if they are Panaeolus antillarum. A cosmopolitan, non-active species said to be edible but not very tasty.

P. antillarum is quite easy to identify, they are always at least 3X larger than the average P. cyanescens, and always pure white, both the cap and the stipe, which is also much thicker than in other Panaeolus species relative to their size. I've seen a couple reports from people that have eaten them saying they are quite good, not choice edibles, but far from the worst tasting mushrooms..

• Like 3

did i beat u to it?? choice

Aha! :o

All good if you did mate, I'd be hogging it a bit if no-one else was receiving some mushy love as well :wink:

• Like 1

Aha! :o

All good if you did mate, I'd be hogging it a bit if no-one else was receiving some mushy love as well :wink:

i went out and saw cuts from a knife?? but i found loads up on the hill were no 1 could be fucked to look. here was loadss of meanies ?? but im the same i dont wanna pick if i dont know?? there r soooo many that look like meanies i stick to tha golds

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

for what is worth, papilionaceus have 4-5 different subspecies so they're very varied and yep they are bigger and look nothing like those.

The second pics showed the blueing clearer inded .

subbalteatus or P. fonisecii wouldnt have so tall stipes, and various other differences

but the blueding isn't always well shown in pics

• Like 1