The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CLICKHEREx

Does smoking potent marijuana make you more likely to be addicted?

24-03-2014, 18:16

BitterSweet

Silver Member

24 y/o Female from Canada

Does smoking potent marijuana make you more likely to be addicted?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does smoking potent marijuana make you more likely to be addicted? Yes - but you might inhale less harmful smoke.

The theory is that when people smoke high-potency cannabis, they compensate for this potency by inhaling less smoke

But they also take in more of the active ingredient - THC

This means they are more likely to become addicted to the drug

There has long been a theory that smoking more potent cannabis is actually healthier than puffing on a less powerful joint.

The thinking is that when people smoke high-potency cannabis, they compensate for the potency by inhaling less smoke.

If this was accurate, it would mean they experience the desired high while doing their lungs less damage.

However, Dutch research has now revealed this theory is not accurate.

The scientists, who published their findings in the journal Addiction, discovered that people who smoke high-potency cannabis inhale more of the drugs active ingredient, THC.

They say that while these smokers do reduce the amount of smoke they inhale, they still take in more THC than people who smoke lower potency cannabis.

This is because of the higher THC content of high-potency cannabis.

As a result of consuming more THC, they are more likely to become addicted to the drug.

However, as they inhale less, they do take in a smaller volume of smoke.

Despite this, they still inhale harmful smoke.

To conduct the study, the researchers observed 98 cannabis smokers as they rolled and smoked cannabis of varying concentrations.

Those who made strong joints inhaled smaller volumes of smoke, presumably in an attempt to reduce the amount of THC taken into the body.

But these efforts were only partially successful, compensating for roughly half of the THC strength.

So, although smokers of strong cannabis alter their smoking behaviour to compensate for the higher potency, they don't alter it enough to make smoking high-strength cannabis the healthier option.

Author: Emma Innes, Daily Mail

Date: March 19, 2014

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...chemicals.html

Read more: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240713#ixzz2wwnLgARD

• Like 1

pots bad for u

Those who made strong joints inhaled smaller volumes of smoke, presumably in an attempt to reduce the amount of THC taken into the body.

:scratchhead:

• Like 2

Yeah they lost me at "more likely to become addicted". I think maybe their logic does not resemble our Earth logic.

• Like 3

A lot was smoked before this study was conducted, must have been strong.

Load of bollocks.

Getafix

Edited by Getafix
  • Like 3

That story is shit. :unsure:

Dependence does not equal addiction. I tend to subscribe to the idea that addiction, or the level of, can be measured by the severity of withdrawal.

In the case of cannabis, disrupted sleep patterns and general irritability for 1 to 4 weeks is sweet fuck all when compared to the likes of alcohol, crack and heroin; all of which can lead to fatalities when withdrawing from.

I can understand why those smoking higher potency strains might inhale less, perhaps due to thicker smoke, but to suggest that higher THC leads to addiction is a bit of a leap.

Also that shit about altering smoking behaviour not making smoking cannabis a healthy option is bizarre. Smoking anything isn't a healthy option, but are they trying to say that vaping high potency strains isn't a healthy option either? What about edibles then? Oils? :huh:

Generalisation and the same old rhetoric which sees cannabis smoking compared to tobacco smoking is archaic, ignorant, and actually serves to lessen faith in science, of which this study, imo, falls under the pseudo category. :scratchhead:

Next.

• Like 1

• Like 3

"Boo this man!!!"

Bahahahahaha.... :lol:

• Like 1

Of course it is more addictive... youre A LOT more likely to get addicted to dank than shwag or shitty bush weed. Bush weed doesnt even get you high.. AND THATS THE FUCKIN POINT.

To me thats like asking whether youre more likely to get addicted to Caffeine or Methamphetamine, or herbal ecstacy or actual MDMA. Its just a bit.. stupid.

In the case of cannabis, disrupted sleep patterns and general irritability for 1 to 4 weeks is sweet fuck all when compared to the likes of alcohol, crack and heroin; all of which can lead to fatalities when withdrawing from.

Actually no, only alcohol of those three. The only common withdrawal which can be fatal that I'm aware of are sedative-hypnotics (barbs, benzos, booze), withdrawing from all of which can cause fatal seizures in those highly dependant.

• Like 2

Personally the only thing that really stops me becoming a smoker again is the thought of stopping smoking again, but that's just me. I've got a particularly addictive personality and quitting anything is a rigorous battle.

I take exception to the "bush weed don't get you high" best erb I've smoked is outdoors grown organic "bushweed". Damn I feel like some cones, a comfy couch and game of thrones....

Edited by incognito
  • Like 6

I love weed

• Like 2

Of course it is more addictive... youre A LOT more likely to get addicted to dank than shwag or shitty bush weed. Bush weed doesnt even get you high.. AND THATS THE FUCKIN POINT.

To me thats like asking whether youre more likely to get addicted to Caffeine or Methamphetamine, or herbal ecstacy or actual MDMA. Its just a bit.. stupid.

fuck no.. u havnt had good bushweed aye.. fuck i hate kunts that havnt try all and can comment on them . theres loads of shit weed but done right the bush is bigger and better. to all the haters eat a huge dick .. i hate bush on gurls but lol

• Like 4

i like bushy gurls-always have.....big fat hairy muff bush gurls. :innocent_n: bullabulla(clap hands) to bulli because he hates bush on gurls;/boo for bullie :bootyshake: .....ooops fark no spam in the news and notices forum. apologies.........except ofcourse to bulliet... :P

• Like 3

i like bushy gurls-always have.....big fat hairy muff bush gurls. :innocent_n: bullabulla(clap hands) to bulli because he hates bush on gurls;/boo for bullie :bootyshake: .....ooops fark no spam in the news and notices forum. apologies.........except ofcourse to bulliet... :P

hahhahahah fuk k##t u make me laugh or mayb its the bush :bong: from ya mother bush :unsure:

ok i am gunna stop there :wacko:

fuck no.. u havnt had good bushweed aye.. fuck i hate kunts that havnt try all and can comment on them . theres loads of shit weed but done right the bush is bigger and better. to all the haters eat a huge dick .. i hate bush on gurls but lol

I get what youre saying, but ive smoked a good variety of the bushweed's here, ive only ever had 1, or maybe 2 varieties ever come close to getting me to a place i want to go when just smoking it (Some varieties can still be used in conjunction with breathing techniques and such though.. still not much use, very hit and miss).

Im sorry but the stuff i smoked in America totally SHITS all over most of the weed in Australia peroid. Bushweed is just like smoking hay to me.. Makes me feel pretty shite if anything. Dont get me wrong, there definitally would be some growers out there with legit strains of marijuana that actually know how to grow properly. But of all the shit ive smoked.. not even a quarter of it was worth the smoke inhalation. If you tried the dank i smoked in America you'd understand me... The strains here feel washed out.. like theres no good genetics left in them. Plus A LOT of growers dont flush properly which makes it unsmooth.. I dont have iron lungs soo to me smoothness means something.. and to the whole experience of smoking, quality marijuanas smoothness is half the enjoyment.

I would usually turn down a puff from a joint nowdays.. atleast here.. I never thought id say that, Its like bad etiquette.

Im not saying all weeds bad.. but even MOST of the hydro is utter shite. Most that is... I remember i walked past a house outside my area and i could smell that deep earthy (not piney) Indica aroma... Still.. Even the best bush weed i smoked didnt even get me high. Just a buzz. Comming from the best weed youve ever smoked to this stuff, im sorry if i sound bitchy but you wouldnt understand. Unless you do. Which i highly doubt.

Edit: I should add that the best bush weed i had (that only gave me a buzz.. which was atleast half decent) came from Nimbin. Idk if that means much anymore since i hear the place has turned into a heroin trafficking highway (Just what i hear).

Ive given up on getting weed in Australia. Ive seen the pictures of the legit Sativa though.. People saying the head high was like acid.. fuck maybe you have smoked the good shit O_o Still it would be at most on par with what i had in the U.S

Edited by Meditator

your argument in places really doesn't make sense aye?

why are you arguing aboot genetics when you actually say in your reply that it does actually ok.

yanky stanky vs oz wozzie mozzie///really mang. the argument i'd like to see is big pharma sucks and creates market forces for people to have a more harmonious relationship with nature instead of scripts for relaxeenowee pills. lol. ranty ranty

What O_o?

I said i have tried a fair few varieties of bush, for all you know that could be over 30 differant types. And only 1 gave me a buzz, not even a high. So your argument against my argument is flawed on assumption of automatic underestimation.

I get what youre saying, but ive smoked a good variety of the bushweed's here, ive only ever had 1, or maybe 2 varieties ever come close to getting me to a place i want to go when just smoking it (Some varieties can still be used in conjunction with breathing techniques and such though.. still not much use, very hit and miss).

Im sorry but the stuff i smoked in America totally SHITS all over most of the weed in Australia peroid. Bushweed is just like smoking hay to me.. Makes me feel pretty shite if anything. Dont get me wrong, there definitally would be some growers out there with legit strains of marijuana that actually know how to grow properly. But of all the shit ive smoked.. not even a quarter of it was worth the smoke inhalation. If you tried the dank i smoked in America you'd understand me... The strains here feel washed out.. like theres no good genetics left in them. Plus A LOT of growers dont flush properly which makes it unsmooth.. I dont have iron lungs soo to me smoothness means something.. and to the whole experience of smoking, quality marijuanas smoothness is half the enjoyment.

I would usually turn down a puff from a joint nowdays.. atleast here.. I never thought id say that, Its like bad etiquette.

Im not saying all weeds bad.. but even MOST of the hydro is utter shite. Most that is... I remember i walked past a house outside my area and i could smell that deep earthy (not piney) Indica aroma... Still.. Even the best bush weed i smoked didnt even get me high. Just a buzz. Comming from the best weed youve ever smoked to this stuff, im sorry if i sound bitchy but you wouldnt understand. Unless you do. Which i highly doubt.

Edit: I should add that the best bush weed i had (that only gave me a buzz.. which was atleast half decent) came from Nimbin. Idk if that means much anymore since i hear the place has turned into a heroin trafficking highway (Just what i hear).

Ive given up on getting weed in Australia. Ive seen the pictures of the legit Sativa though.. People saying the head high was like acid.. fuck maybe you have smoked the good shit O_o Still it would be at most on par with what i had in the U.S

You must move in the wrong circles.

• Like 4