The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Nailthesnail

What would I be able to grow with this grow light?

http://www.amazon.com/EnviroGro-4Ft-Tube-Fixture-Bulbs-FLT44/dp/B005H1C7NA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393025790&sr=8-2&keywords=t5+light

So I have been thinking about getting a indoor growing setup going for pereskiopsis,cacti seedlings,seedlings and maybe even some mushrooms.

Would this do the trick so I can do grafts with pereskiopsis, do some small scale mycology, germinate and keep alive seedlings?

Note I am on a budget of $150 as I have another project underway atm.

• Like 1

grass

• Like 3

I have a 6 lamp HO same length, works great for pereskies... I use shorter t8s for starting seedlings too

i've been cutting their time to less and less under lights and while it does give them a healthy start, once they

get going the ones acclimated to sunlight quicker seem to do better ... i also have some variables with soil and

stuff ... but its obvious to me that sunlight is a better choice after while... but since I can control the enviroment

better, I like to start them under fluoros.... it's also right next to where i sleep! :P

with pereskies you'll have to chop them down alot lol mine grow sometimes an inch in a day or two if i fert'd

them that week.. .but my plug socket went out a couple days ago and now I get to move the whole project... whoopee...

indoor grown pereskies tend to be more fresh stemmed while outdoors they get 'woody' quicker but they appear more

natural outdoors...

all in all those lights can come in really handy especially over the wintertime at least here anyways.. also great if you

want to start some things early like tomatoes or w/e... or even for overwintering frost sensitive plants that arent too huge..

also nice for rooting cuttings of lots of different plants... fluoros can't shake a stick at broken sunlight tho in terms

of lumens eh

• Like 2

Cheers spine for the helpful answer. If it isn't going to be very useful all round I will have to find a better light. I would like it to be useful for indoor use for plants that I can only have out in the warmer months. Like syrian rue or Caapi. As well as mushrooms.
And maybe a very small mj plant

• Like 1

Man I have been thinking about leds they look sick but it's a very shady area and I have heard of many people being ripped off.

That setup would work fine for what you want but it's 120 volt, so you'd need a transformer to get it working on NZ mains voltage. If you factor in shipping & the price of a transformer it's going to cost you a lot more than $150

• Like 1

Yeah, I have not thought of this. I had a look at these today and was wondering if maybe a DIY setup would save me $$$ plus it's free shipping and very cheap, only problem I can see is that it's made in china. I have a solder machine and don't mind getting a bit technical.

I also like the idea of LED as it apparently creates higher yields, and better spectrum, I would plan on getting a couple different colors. And just solder it all up. But I am afraid to say I have no Idea how to control the watts. Thank you sally for the help :) Mucho Apreciato

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-3W-Red-High-Power-660NM-Plant-Grow-LED-Emitter-Light-with-20mm-Star-Base/320867389761?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D5029390225216094748%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D161177236460%26

Edited by Nailthesnail

have you checked out the local hydroponics shops...................I suspect even bunnings would have grow lights and fittings (or get fittings from demo yard)

there's also an led that operates in the high infa red end of the spec...(I think)..............can't even see if its on.......but it promotes growth..........

its high 'lumen's' your after

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 1

Yeah but they are very expensive, HPS is not on the list as I have mixed views about it and the LED's look crap. Would rather risk it online.