The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DiscoStu

dea concerned about loss of revenue, decries marijuana legalisation

not quite, but we all know the subtext

“Every part of the world where this has been tried, it has failed time and time again.”

yeah except everywhere that it hasn't

The chief of operations at the Drug Enforcement Administration on Wednesday called the legalization of marijuana at the state level “reckless and irresponsible,” warning that the movement to decriminalize the sale of pot in the United States will have severe consequences.

“It scares us,” James L. Capra said, responding to a question from a senator during a hearing focused on drug cultivation in Afghanistan. “Every part of the world where this has been tried, it has failed time and time again.”

Capra’s comments marked the DEA’s most public and pointed criticism of the movement toward decriminalization in several states, where local officials see it as an opportunity to generate tax revenue and boost tourism.

The Justice Department decided last summer it would not challenge state laws passed in Colorado and Washington after voters supported proposals to decriminalize the sale of marijuana for recreational use. The sale and use of marijuana remains unlawful under federal law, but the Obama administration has indicated that it will not prosecute ordinary recreational users in states where consumption is legal.

Sales began in Colorado this month and will soon start in Washington. Officials in several other states are contemplating similar changes to their laws.

Capra said agents have watched the early days of legal marijuana sales in Colorado with dismay.

“There are more dispensaries in Denver than there are Starbucks,” he said. “The idea somehow people in our country have that this is somehow good for us as a nation is wrong. It’s a bad thing.”

Capra said that senior DEA officials have faced uncomfortable questions from law enforcement partners abroad. During a recent global summit on counter-narcotics in Moscow, he said, he and the head of the DEA were at a loss to explain the loosening drug laws.

“Almost everyone looked at us and said: Why are you doing this [while] pointing a finger to us as a source state?” he said. “I don’t have an answer for them.”

Officials in the District are among those contemplating changes to local codes that could lead to the legalization of marijuana. The D.C. Council’s public safety committee on Wednesday approved a proposal that makes possession of a small quantity of marijuana a minor offense, punishable with a citation similar to a parking ticket.

Support for legalization among District residents has increased markedly in recent years. Anew Washington Post poll shows that nearly 63 percent of residents support decriminalizing pot. Four years ago, residents were evenly split on the issue.

Capra said he worries about the long-term consequences of the national mood on marijuana, which law enforcement experts call a gateway to more dangerous drugs.

“This is a bad experiment,” he said. “It’s going to cost us in terms of social costs.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/dea-operations-chief-decries-legalization-of-marijuana-at-state-level/2014/01/15/17af548a-7e38-11e3-9556-4a4bf7bcbd84_story.html

Edited by bot6
  • Like 1

I smell fear from mr capra.

Like like all western style corporate modeled government departments they are growth driven. That their revenue and or responsibilities could contract would be viewed as an unspeakable abomination. So of course any action that impacts on their income will be viewed as appalling, particularly when it stands to invalidate half a century of their hard work.

• Like 3

The thing I find most worrying about his comments are that he implies that he, and the government/agency he works for, should be the ones who have the say, not the people/voters.

Who the fuck does he think he is? :huh:

Also, as bot says, where has legalisation failed again? Oh, that's right, FUCKING NOWHERE you fear mongering piece of shit. :wave-finger:

Edited by Responsible Choice
  • Like 2

I smell fear as well....

its not good for the DEA business model

• Like 1

The thing I find most worrying about his comments are that he implies that he, and the government/agency he works for, should be the ones who have the say, not the people/voters.

The "our position is the ONLY correct one" is the predominate mind set within bureaucratic corridors.

To the point that if one does not follow the manta "you should consider ones position" ie. piss off some place else.

• Like 3

I believe that before the decriminalisation/legalisation can full take force in the US and really start to branch outwards, there need to be further decline in their GDP (extremely likely), a collapse in the stock market (which looks fairly likely) and further uncontrollable debt possibly leading to a monetary collapse (also very likely) . When they cant ignore the cost benefit and realise the only way out of complete bankruptcy is to become the dealer they will be the largest net exporter of recreational MJ, the fastest way to financial independence as it was hundreds of years ago but for a different reason.

• Like 2

"It’s a bad thing.”

Edited by ThunderIdeal

If marijuana with a state tax stamp on hits the stores in washington state I think I'll buy a packet.

I've got no use for it, but 40 years from now it'd be a valuable collectors item.

• Like 5