The Corroboree
planthelper

plant stake invention, PET bottle probagator & more!!

i'm sorry to ramble on about my dyslexia, but it's time the dyslexic's of this world come out of the closet.

I feel like I could be an educator about dyslexia...

dyslexic's are great inventors, it's rumoured xxxx (suddenly no re call, I mean the mona lisa guy, no re call is as well a dyslexia symptom) was dyslexic!!

here is my todays invention, a plant stalk ( later correction, should read "stake") for small leggy plants, whcich needs no tying up, AND allowes for lot's of movent so the stem will get strong and tough.

post-70-0-05414500-1380084836_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-06283400-1380084885_thumb.jpg

this could be as well scaled up, or manufactured out of other materials (wire)...

left all mistakes! :)

plant_stalk_invention.JPG

plant_stalk_invention_closeup.JPG

plant_stalk_invention.JPG

plant_stalk_invention_closeup.JPG

Edited by planthelper
dyslexic mistake, stake not stalk
  • Like 4

Right On planthelper. This stake is superior to ties in a gust & allows for some movement yet with stability. I like it!

how did you wright the caption under the edit

how did you wright the caption under the edit

most of the time you edit a post, a field comes up at the bottom, asking you, "reason for editing",

and what ever you write down in there, comes up as you see it.

the field shows up once you click edit.

but if you click full editor right away afterwards, you wasted your chance, as ther will be no such field using full editor.

if you want to use this field and you are in need of the full editor, you have to >click edit> than change the post >click save> than edit again>click full editor> change title or add pics > click save

more "small diy inventions", regarding gardening to come! :)

• Like 1

See if you can make different sizes out of Bamboo, Nice and renewable.

You might want to split the bamboo first.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

just a quick one...

this "invention" is a movable irrigation system, which takes, 30sec to build, but can solve some issues we face everyday in our gardens.

"the bucket irrigator"

drill a small hole into a bucket or container, and place it close to your plant which needs water, than fill up with water.

post-70-0-95602300-1380847689_thumb.jpg

the problem with ordinary watering can be that a lot of the water will just run off, and if you want to avoid this from happening, one has to water often, but in small amounts.

the bucket irrigator solves this problem!

to be the most effective, water the area to be irrigated, a while before, and than place the bucket irrigator, into the spot you want watered. this will minimize runoff and maximise absorbtion.

bucket_irigator.JPG

bucket_irigator.JPG

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 3

I edited the title a bit, so that more ideas can be brought into this thread, maybe you have something which could be added to this topic.

today added, the PET (soft drink) "bottle propagator"

1, cut open a soft drink bottle.

post-70-0-76759900-1381479458_thumb.jpg

2, use hot water to shrink, one of the two pieces so it will fit, very snug into the other.

try to make it, a perfect seal, so no water at all can evaporate, or get lost.

3, place small flower pot with hormone dipped cutting, into the bottle and close.

I like it if, there is a little bit of water present at the bottom of the bottle.

post-70-0-05932400-1381479260_thumb.jpg

4, wait till the cutting strikes, that can take up to 2 or 3 months, depending on the plant species and the temperature.

the warmer, the faster, some plants might get there roots in as little as 2 weeks...

5, once you got roots, you have to harden out the cutting, meaning you take the cap off the bottle, for a short time and observe.

post-70-0-94174300-1381479414_thumb.jpg

if the plant wilts, put the cap back on. if the cutting has taken well, than the first hardening out (bottle without cap) might take 2 or 3 hours not more. than next day, 3 or more hours without the cap, and increasing the hardening out period.

6, once the cutting has been hardent out, you can take it out of the dome, and re pot into a larger pot.

edit:

the plant in the pic is a finger lime, which struck roots in this set up.

place the dome, where it's warm, bright, but no direct sun (unless a little morning sun), and out of the wind (so the dome doesn't fall over.

this dome works very well as well, in indoor set ups, or even better! :)

pet_bottle_probagator_closed.JPG

pet_bottle_probagator_hardening_out_mode.JPG

pet_bottle_probagator_open.JPG

pet_bottle_probagator_closed.JPG

pet_bottle_probagator_hardening_out_mode.JPG

pet_bottle_probagator_open.JPG

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 4

previous post showed how to propagate a single plant,

now for when you take plenty cuttings...

just place all your small pots with the cuttings into a bucket and seal it with sheets of glass (you get them from the recycle station at your local waste dump).

post-70-0-25634300-1382489638_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-25634300-1382489638_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-69691600-1382489617_thumb.jpg

bucket_probagator#2.JPG

bucket_probagator#1.JPG

bucket_probagator#2.JPG

bucket_probagator#1.JPG

• Like 3

Great inventions PH :)

So commonsensical - yet so awesome!

I just set up a "bucket irrigator" next to my giant pumpkin plant, using a cracked bucket which was otherwise pretty useless.

Keep em' coming good sir!

• Like 1

here's one for you PH

post-8867-0-11464400-1382684724_thumb.jp

I also used a bucket irragator but I had it filled with dirt so it was a bit more of a "slow release". Now I put styro boxes full of dirt around my plants and grow things in the styro boxes. Whenever I water the boxes I am also wartering the plant :)

You know it!

Pet Bottle Sprinkler.jpg

Pet Bottle Sprinkler.jpg