The Corroboree

Anybody do it?

Are you any good?

Any tips or tricks?

Im currently doing it :)

If i throw garbage at you, its not personnel.

Only kidding, i save all of that behavior for lib candidates.

Always start with gold coins in your hat ... Learn a few songs that will apeal to the masses like a footy song or drunken sailor ... Learn Kung Fu ...

• Like 2

I have a good mate who's been busking for years, he has said variously before:

1) Amplification. If you can't be heard, then you won't make much.
2) A permit is required to busk over here, check with your state to see if you need one. Otherwise the council goons may pay a visit.
3) Smile and eye contact
4) Make a mistake? Play on as if it was meant to happen.
5) Talk to other buskers, get to know them.

Edited by CβL

Anybody do it?

Are you any good?

Any tips or tricks?

Im currently doing it :)

Develop a 'stage' presence...easier said than done though. I used to busk a bit, and I'd happily just do my thing with a hat full of money and make a good $30-$40 an hour. But I'm fairly quiet and not very good a building excitement for an audience and would only have half a dozen people watching at a given time. I had a friend who was much better at rounding up a crowd and when we'd go busking together he'd often spruik for me while I was busking, gathering (I'd estimate) close to 100 people, and the most we ever made was about $300 in a couple of hours. That was during the Commonwealth games though, so there were heaps of people willing to part with their money.

Permits are technically required, and I wouldn't suggest you to busk without one, but they really only exist to stop beggars from pretending they're busking. So if you're good, you don't really need one. I've never had one, and I've never been asked if I have one.

I've busked in the past and made around $40 an hour, but I wouldn't call myself an expert.

What I learned anyway...I think image, vibe, and originality are really important. You need to make yourself stand out as more than just another random dude playing guitar on the sidewalk. Playing to your strengths is also a good idea - if you're not the world's greatest singer, maybe focus on older blues stuff where you can kinda just speak it on pitch and concentrate on wooing them with the guitar-playing..or if vice versa, concentrate on simple strumming songs that let the vocals take center stage.

The vibe you project is also massive - you don't wanna come across as another random dude desperate for coin who's kinda nervous and bitter about the experience. I always tried to look at it as trying to brighten people's day and bring something different, a bit of positivity. Smile at everyone, regardless of whether they give you money or not, and try as hard as you can to keep your own outlook positive.

My other secret weapon when it comes to busking is just a bit of fun - instead of a hat or guitar case in front of you for coins, mix it up and get creative. My favourite was a dog's food-bowl with bones drawn all over it.

EDIT: almost forgot, picking the right spot to busk is also really important.

Roadjunky also has a good article with busking tips here: http://www.roadjunky.com/guide/busking-and-street-music-guide/

Edited by gtarman

I'm not a musical person, but i do have a couple pointers on "busker etiquette"... I see people stuff up some pretty basic things sometimes and even if they are a pretty good performer, people seem to gravitate away from them like a bad smell.

Watch how much space you are taking up, its good to be noticable, but not in the way.

I walked down a busy alleyway the other day and this dude was slouched against the wall with his legs sprawlled out on the ground, taking up litterally half the foot path. Everyone just looked at him like "you dick" and he didnt seem to make any money.

Another thing which I reckon is important is to have a repetoire of acknowledgements.. I think its a bit silly when you give someone some coins and they instantly stop playing and talk to you. Its good to give the person some kind of signal to say thank you without stopping the rhythm of the song... a nod, a smile, a wink if its a pretty girl, and then turn your attention and full energy back to the song, giving the next verse a little energy boost, like your saying thank you but with your song.

• Like 1

^^ agreed busker etiquette is a must .... Dressing or acting like a sloth dont get you no where .... You never who is gonna walk by ;) .. How'd you go last night ?

made about 80 bucks

• Like 2

I was walking along Hunter St Newcastle one time and I saw an old dero playing a drum. The drum looked like an over sized tambourine with no metal cymbal things on it and he had a little stick thing with padded ends that he was banging it with. He didn't sing or do anything else except bang his drum.

I was in a particularly charitable mood, so I stopped and dropped a 50 cent piece into his hat. I stood there expecting him to break into song or do something entertaining.

Quick as flash the old the cunt stopped playing his drum and picked up his hat and then he ran across the road to a newsagent and bought a packet of cigarettes.

That was the last time I've ever been out witted by a dero with drum.

These days I only shell out for quality.

• Like 3

Haha atleast the old guy had a drum SallyD! Theres a old man who "busks" (dare i call it busking :P) all the time in my town and he just sways side to side, mumbling incoherantly while clapping his hands.

He really bugs me, because I know he makes a decent amount of coin from this act, people think he's crazy, but I can tell he's just seen an opportunity to make money by standing there clapping his hands and looking like a complete nut.