The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
myco

rooting out variegated lophs

hi guys got a bit of a question I've been trying to root out some variegated caespitose lophs

and its just not happening

the pups were removed about 2 weeks before a bunch of other non variegated lophs

everything threw out roots its now been about 2 and half months and the variegates still have not thrown a single root out

im starting to consider grafting them so I don't lose them as im beginning to doubt theyre even going to throw roots at all

my question is is it harder to root out variegates does their lack of chlorophyll make it harder for them to grow roots ?

the pups I took are really variegated containing a lot of yellow tissue

should I be taking the more greener pups to root out ?

I think that's exactly whats going on,... less chloro means less effort to produce roots.

The problem now I think it is that trying to root them now as they have been off lifesupport so long has slimmed down your chances for succesfull grafting considerably.

I think you should look at how healthy they look and then base a decision on that. It can go either way. My hunch based on what you describe your situation to be. is that you should try and graft.... but when you do so,... make sure all conditions for the graft are right. So right graft stock diameter, and have a humidity tent and watch the light conditions.

may the graft Gods be with you Myco!

• Like 2

cheers mate I thought this must be the case

I was also a bit worried about the success of grafting after so long

I've got 2 little little clumps so I think i'll try with one clump atleast

I might even dissect it they've both got about 4 small pups hopefully something takes

the grafting gods have been very good to me so I may aswell give it a go :)

Dame I was hoping to see some photo's :BANGHEAD2::),

I'm sure you will do just fine with your grafts mate :wink:, good luck & please keep us updated.

Cheers

jox

:worship: :worship: :worship: Thanks mate :drool2::worship::worship::worship:

• Like 1

myco- do you have a picture of the soil you are using to root out your variegated pups?

I think your chances are pretty slim if they're just in that top dressing mix you show.

I'd put them in bone dry potting soil, no rocks or top dressing, and mist them lightly with a spray bottle every week or so.

Do that, give them all the time they need & you'll eventually get new roots.

• Like 1

cheers zelly i'll give that a go and see if I have any luck with that

what you see is what theyre in its just a tray wich contains nothing but coarse rock and some crushed brick

the idea was to get them started with some roots in this before I moved them to a better mix

I haven't had any trouble with the rest of the lophs throwing roots in there but the variegates have done nothing

heres some of the other lophs in the same tray

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=6649'>gallery_7473_655_340490.jpg

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=6650'>gallery_7473_655_542830.jpg

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=6651'>gallery_7473_655_31046.jpg

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=6652'>gallery_7473_655_499271.jpg

and one of the little variegates not a single root

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=6653'>gallery_7473_655_414215.jpg

• Like 1

subcutanously inject some rooting hormones........ then zapp em with some high voltage or some reiki.... just some outside of the box think here.... :wink:

Some nice cacti Myco!!!

Edited by woof woof woof
  • Like 2

haha cheers woof :)

Any chance you are planning on selling/trading variegated pups :D

• Like 1

Beautiful man! I love it. Makes me very sad what happened to these plants.

• Like 1

I'd put them in bone dry potting soil, no rocks or top dressing

agree... even though I have not rooted a variegated one...

I have found that degrafted pups are best rooted (quite fast) , as they are pump and all.

like zelly said dry potting soil is the thing

• Like 1