The Corroboree
Alienteaparty

Cacti seedlings turning Purple and dying.

Hello everybody!

I seem to be running into a few problems with my cacti seedlings. They are 7 months old and have been doing perfectly fine until about a month ago when i put them outside. They are not in the sun. actually they receive about 4 hours of filtered light daily and the rest of the time they are in full shade.

I have taken the lids off the containers that they are situated in and i give them daily sprayings, but by the end of the day the soil is all most dry. I cant seem to figure out whats wrong with them but they are turning purple and red and rotting away.

I have tried not watering them for a while, i have tried putting them in full shade and i have tried giving them more sun. To be honest i'm stumped, I have successfully grown cacti from seed and have never ran into these problems before. One observation i have made was that the larger seedlings are not as affected as the smaller ones.

So if anybody has any idea of what might be going on, please help a brother out!

All answers and questions are welcome!

here are a few images of my troubled seedlings:

sickScopseedlings.jpg

sicklophseedlings.jpg

sickcactiseedlings.jpg

PEACE!

Looks like Sunburn. Probably in combination with fungal infections caused by the sun damage. I dont expose seedlings of that size to direct sunlight at all if they arent used to it.

Thanks for the quick response.

They really aren't exposed to very much sun at all, but they definately get much more than when they were tucked away in the safety of my room.

Do you think that they could recover if i put them in full shade for a few days and mist them moderately?

Cheers Evil Genius!

They're not dying, just move them to more shaded place.

Agreed. Get them into deeper shade and don't let them get too dry and most will recover - those seedlings can be tougher than you think.

they'd probably appreciate a repot and to be buried a bit deeper since they are falling over like that. Might be worth checking for root mealy bug too.

Purple is pretty normal, dnt stress.

No matter were or when I move my cacti seedlings out of my cupboard from under there light they stress a bit changing colour. When I do move them I still keep them in a humidity chamber for a while & use shade clothe rated at 50%, also adding gravel as a top dressing will help keep your seedling upright & keep moisture in the soil. Good luck!

Cheers

jox