The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
prier

Bayer's Initiator

So we got a free sample of Bayer's Initiator the other day. http://www.bayercropscience.com.au/es/products/productdetails.asp?id=282
It's basically little tablets of slow release fertilizer and the insecticide Imidacloprid. I've never used this stuff before and am curious what peoples thoughts are. It seems like a great idea and means less spraying, which is time consuming. The idea of it killing off the bees doesn't sound to good though. Then we'll just have to spend all our time hand pollinating instead of spraying.
Anyone have any experience with the stuff?

:unsure:

Science triumphs over nature again :devil:

Edited by SallyD

Hmm, I'm really, really, not a fan of ham-fisted applications of noxious chemicals in stead of good cultural practices. Poor cultural practices oft creates/promotes the problems which then need these chemical treatments in the first place. Pesticides certainly do have their applications, though they should be seen as a last resort when all practical steps have been taken to minimise their need.

My 2c.

• Like 2

I have seen this stuff advertised at the hardware store and wondered the same thing prier. I was going to post here about it too. :). As a general rule I would prefer not to use pesticides but when you have such an unnatural environment as a greenhouse - with lots of plants you don't have time to individually tend to. I think pesticides are a god send. It could be the end of root mealys? I haven't tried it yet but will be trying it pretty soon I think.

I have a 20kg bag of Diatomaceous earth I have been wanting to try too.

I use Initiator tablets on ornamentals in a private garden setting. Mostly Magnolia, Murraya, Japanese Laurel and Plane trees. Have 3 years experience with these. I don't really like to use them but it's part of the intergrated pest management program we have in place.

I personally wouldn't use it on anything for human consumption although it is used commercially, so you've probably eaten it already.

Anything specific you'd like to know?

Here's a link about Imidacloprid and food crops>>http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2012/3-21/imidacloprid.html