The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Idon'tstudydinosaurs

How long for Brugmansia arborea seed to emerge?

I have the seeds in seed raising mix, keeping them moist. The seeds are barely covered (I've heard they need sunlight to germinate). It's been about 2 weeks and they haven't emerged. Should I cover in plastic to increase humidity or am I just being impatient?

In my experience can take a few months.

some people say cut of the woody bits, but has only ever ended in rotting seeds for me.

I plant my seeds and then leave them. i assume fungi and microbes break down the coat and remove any germination inhibitors present. and then 'bang' you'll have so many you wont know what to do :wink: - i give them away, then it turns to begging - 'please take some'

lol

Cheers, Ob.

cover pot with a plastic zip!! put the pot inside near a window for 2 hours morning sun<. i remove the cork like cover on the seeds and mist spray everyday . dont let the soil get soaked!!! if the seeds r fresh they should pop up in 2 weeks.

Edited by bullit

Thank you both. I have removed the corky covering. Might try the zip lock bag idea and see how that goes!

Ob, I have heard it can take months but I didn't want to believe it. I'm terribly impatient!

I've tried zip lock with very limited success, most times they just rot.

Best plants always grow with patience, trust me, its been a life lesson for me too and very well worth it. I just need to adapt that philosophy to the rest of my life and it'll be all good.

Better not try Psychotria then lol, takes six months for them to germinate.

Cheers, Ob.

hey perthshaman u need loads of humidity 4 these babies to pop up! seeds need to b supa fresh aye!! if u remove the corky cover it should only take 2 weeks !!!

OBTUSE u must be giving them too much water??!!??!!!

i have 4 new hybrids of my own and sum exciting new crosses on tha way

Edited by bullit

Huh...I gave up on my attempt way back after about 10 weeks...had a gander at the lightly covered seeds, and saw that nothing was going on. I figure maybe cold stratification could be worth playing around with? I'm probably gonna have a crack again sometime soon, with seed from a few different sources.

Yeah I'm still waiting for them to emerge *sigh* They were from eBay after all, so maybe not fresh enough. I ended up just buying a couple Brug hybrids and the guy gave me some fresh triple purple datura seeds so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Yeah, mine were from eBay too. Reckon I'll keep an eye open for fresh seeds on here...

• Like 1

If you pick them fresh, then you'll notice their change and morph during the 7-14 days until they sprout. I throw all my brug seedon the surface of potting mix and know before they sprout, as to if they sprout, based on observation.

The main thing is freshness and removal of the cork coating as BR suggested. Anything over 6mths old in the brug realm I wouldn't sow, but then again I don't grow what I don't personally harvest when it comes to brugs. If its a sort after CV then wait, if its random seed that hasn't germed in 4 weeks then search for more... This time of the year their is plentiful seed wanting to be germed ;)

• Like 1

On the datura note perthshaman, I recently had 7X more success with my datura seeds by disturbing the soil in my germ pots with a fork, as compared to not disturbing the soil. Just a quick observation if you don't notice much success with those seeds

Edited by thed00dabides

Cheers thed. The datura seeds are straight from the plant so I'm more confident with these. The brug seeds have only been in for three weeks so there is still hope; wishful thinking probably.