The Corroboree
mindperformer

Psychoactive and other botanical PERFUMEs

:P

there are evidences that selenides are also a component of the scent of the sea, especially to the smell of some beach sands, to my opinion. I made an absolute of beach sand from norway. Extracted it with 80% alcohol, let the alcohol evaporate (it was green because of the phytoplankton) and dissolved it in a tiny bit of alcohol again.

Selenium compounds have an odor of rotten horseradish and in small concentrations a metallic garlic smell.

Dimethyl selenide is an analogue of Dimethyl sulfide, produced by bacteria and phytoplankton.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0012821X01003703

Edited by mindperformer

last year planthelper wrote about his real Ambergris,

now my research in the scent-area is very intense, I made an ocean of extracts, also from many psychoactive plants and the Ambergris was one of the last famous things I didn't have in my collection, now this changed.

this is very old Ambergris (over 10 years) from South Africa:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2wcofww.jpg[/img]

x24 (microscope):
http://i58.tinypic.com/w1bs3n.jpg[/img]

My valuation of the Ambergris-tincture:

not very strong because of the high age, but much better in quality than young Ambergris,

Organoleptics (descending strength):

fresh ocean-air – stone-beach-sand – sweet-soft (like old paper) powdery – indolic-faecal (like DMT)

By the way: Ambergris is not Amber!

...but amber has its own scent if it is powdered, roasted and tinctured.

a piece of Amber from the Dominican Republic:

http://i60.tinypic.com/3039v1h.jpg[/img]

x24 (microscope):

http://i61.tinypic.com/2z9i74g.jpg[/img]

My valuation of the tincture (in 80% pure food-grade grain-alcohol)

from the roasted Amber (descending strength):

Headnote: denatured alcohol – resiny – smoky-waxy (lit candle)

Heartnote: Citrus – resiny

Basenote: dry – Labdanum – sweet – citrus

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 2

yayyyy , sorry i remade a perfumes thread, its because i couldnt find this , saw a post tho on the main page just now

*hurries off to excitedly read it*

you're also a natural perfumer?

I will take a look at your thread...

I was offline a long time until now

• Like 1

^^ Welcome back Mindperfomer - I have missed your posts a great deal. I hope you will continue to post your fascinating ideas, links, knowledge and endeavours.. They all totally rock...

• Like 1

yeah man we missed your interesting & original threads!

you're also a natural perfumer?

I will take a look at your thread...

I was offline a long time until now

no just an ambitious (but very enthusiastic) noob at perfuming :)

and I want to make safe fragrances too with my children (as a personal priority) , as well as for my own fun to be had finding fragrances and capturing them

Nice to digitally meet you, and thanks for starting a fantastic thread!

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

the scent of some psychoactive plants:

Pukatea (Laurelia novae-zelandiae)- leaves from New Zealand:

Organoleptics of the absolute from the leaves-tincture (descending):

green-leaves - sweet - woody - waxy - fresh-citrus, basenote: sweet - floral (chamomile) - musty

Pituri (Duboisia hopwoodii)- leaves from Australia:

Organoleptics of the tincture from the dry leaves (descending):

pungent - tobacco - hay - dry - waxy - sweet with a nuance of pandanus-leaves in the basenote

Brandy-Bottle - waterlily (Nuphar lutea)- flower from Austria:

Organoleptics of the tincture from the fresh flowers (descending):

waxy-creamy-sweet with the following accents: fruity-fermented - honey-chamomile

White / Mexican Water Lily (Nymphaea ampla)- flowers:

Organoleptics of the absolute from the tincture of the dry flowers (descending):

sweet (caramell) - creamy - balsamic - fruity (strawberry) - soapy

• Like 1

now I finally found time for posting again

Taique (Desfontainia spinosa)- leaves:

Organoleptics of the tincture from the dry leaves (descending):

sweet - fruity (Davana) - tea - green-cucumber-fresh - waxy - herbal and a pungent nuance, especially when touching with the nose

Coca (Erythroxylum coca var. coca)- woody stems:
Organoleptics of the tincture from the woody stems (descending):

wintergreen (methylsalicylate) - sweet-phenolic (salicylic acid) - balsamic - medicinal - woody - dry - stone

Dwarf Breedseed Poppy (Papaver setigerum)- leaves:

Organoleptics of the absolute of the tincture from the dry leaves (descending):

sweet (honey) - fruity (lychee,plum) - floral (rose) - herbal - dry - tobacco basenote: herbal - tobacco - earthy

Iboga (Tabernanthe iboga)- rootbark:

Organoleptics of the tincture from a 16,5x -multisolvent-extract from the rootbark:

indolic (but with a much less pronounced faecal nuance) - white-floral (jasmine) at equal strength

with the following nuances (descending): phenolic (plastic) - fresh (Methylsalicylate)

...on the contraty to DMT, the tincture of the iboga-extract didn't smell musty and very less faecal.

the indolic-phenolic scent highly possible stems from degradation products of the ibogaine-like alkaloids.

We can only smell molecules, which are not too big, Ibogaine is too big, cocaine and mescaline also.

There is the information in the internet, that there are no molecules with a scent, which exceed a molecular weight of 294 g/mol.

However, the number I found was 384,8 g/mol for decamethylpentasiloxane, a strange synthetic, as biggest molecule with an odor (mild).

Although there are other factors too which determine, if a molecule has an odor or not (relative volatility and our sensitivity), there are only a few molecules with a scent, bigger than 18 C-atoms,

and there are definitely no natural odorant molecules with more than 21 C-atoms.

The biggest natural odorant molecule is (10)-Gingerol from ginger with 350,5 g/mol and 21 C-atoms.

For checking the odor of a substance, search the name of it + http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/

there you find the odor under the "Organoleptics"

they have a great database, but not very much psychoactive plants

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 3

some may ask, "why the woody stems and not the leaves of coca,

and why the leaves of Papaver setigerum and not the pods?"

answer: because the latter of both are

1. too precious for a scent-only-extract

2. illegal in some countries

By the way: Papaver setigerum is not the ancestor of opium poppy (although this is stated on some pages in the internet).

According to newest research P. setigerum is the nearest relative of P. somniferum and both had a wild ancestor in the western mediterranean (France, Italy), which is now extinct.

P. setigerum is more close to the wild ancestor and P. somniferum is a cultivar since over 4.000 years.

However, the species cultivated by the cypriots 4.000 years ago (and exported by them to egypt) is P. setigerum, which is now also a common wild plant in cyprus.

• Like 1

the indolics (some of the few alkaloids with an odour because they are small and volatile):

Indole itself smells at 10%: animalic - floral (jasmine) - phenolic (plastics) - faecal - gasoline

DMT smells similar but less animalic but more floral and phenolic

AMT smells much more faecal and phenolic

Iboga: look at the second last post

the indolics share some similarities (also in a chemical sense) with the Anthranilates:

Methylanthranilate, the most common, smells sweet - heavy-tropical-berry (concord grape) - musty-earthy - juicy - floral - phenolic/plastics (like DMT but less faecal and more fruity)

Dimethylanthranilate smells sweet - fruity - anthranilate-like - clean-floral

Anthranilates are the major odor-compounds of the aroma of concord-grapes, wild grapevine, Cestrum nocturnum- flowers, Saponaria officinalis- flowers, orange flower (neroli), Viburnum x burkwoodii- flower, Mahonia bealei- flowers, Schisandra chinensis- flower, Hesperis matronalis- flower, Wood-strawberries,

Nigella damascena-seeds (contain Methyl 3-methoxyanthranilate), and others

So does ethanol and isopropyl alcohol work for most extractions of scents?

Also how would I ensure when using a flower Brugmansia not to have any residual alkaloids. I love the scent of Brugmansia.

• Like 1

@ doxneed2c-me:

I don't take Isopropanol for tinctures because it has its own strong smell, only sometimes for dry concretes, when evaporating all of the solvents.

Around 50% of all my extractions are tinctures with 80% grain-alcohol from the supermarket. You need at least 80% for extracting essential oils and other lipophile compounds (to which ~ 99% of all odorant molecules belong).

Grain alcohol has much less odor than spirit of wine or denatured alcohol.

Sometimes a simple tincture could not extract some unstable scents or fragile flowers.

In this case I make an enfleurage:

1.) mazerate the material (flowers for example) for 3-12 hours, sometimes longer (depends on the material) in

pure liquid paraffin, this is a total unreactive, scentless and perfect solvent for enfleurages.

2.) squeeze the liquid paraffin out of the material (with a stuff or curtain-textile)

3.) Add about half of the amount 80% grain-alcohol, shake it and leave it standing for at least 1 week, shaking sometimes

4.) Separate the two fractions: first separate / siphon the alcohol with a wash bottle (like this: http://www.rapidonline.com/science/rd-wash-bottle-with-cap-500ml-14-2024) and then filtrate it through a coffee filter ...I also tried separatory funnels but they don't work perfect when separating the

down-layer of liquid paraffin. With the wash-bottle you can siphon directly and completely the alcohol-layer.

If the smell of the tincture or the alcoholic solution from the enfleurage is too weak you can make an absolute:

Put the greater part (7/10-8/10) in a wide pyrex-bowl and let it evaporate on e.g. a heating mat until only a very small amount liquid is left, now you have the absolute

then combine it with the rest of the tincture for preservation and to keep it in a pourable solution.

However sometimes a distillation is more suitable, like with lemongrass, because the enzymes degrade the scent in an extraction very fast.

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

@ ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ:

The safety strongly depends on what you want to do with scents. As also some naturals can be hyperallergenic, don't spray them on the skin, except they are made for this purpose. Spray your scents on the clothes or in the hair.

The essential oils with the highest safety:

German Chamomile, blue (Matricaria chamomilla syn. Matricaria recutita, also for sensitive skin),

Italian Everlast (Helichrysum italicum, also for wounds, one of the best for regeneration),

Gallic Rose (Rosa gallica, the best comes from the Georgian Caucasus),

Lavender in small concentrations (the best is Wild Lavender from 1.800m altitude in the french alps)

Rosewood (= Bois De Rose, distilled from the wood of a rainforest-tree, also buy oils from sustainable cultivations, contains mainly the allrounder Linalool)

Sandalwood in small concentrations (also only from cultivation)

Palmarosa (distilled from a grass, which contains mainly the allrounder Geraniol)

Jasmine in very small concentrations

Geranium

Basil (with low Eugenol-content)

• Like 2

Had my first go at enfleurage in spring - I just laid fresh jasmine flowers on a thin layer of extra-virgin coconut fat in a sealed takeaway container, then changed the flowers a day or so later when they started to wilt. I started near the end of the season, so maybe only four or five changes in all. I though that wouldn't be strong enough to overcome the coconut aroma, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked out - a few drops on the skin is like having a bunch of jasmine flowers in the room. The coconut smell is still there underneath, but it blends very nicely with the jasmine. I'm sure I could find a less-coconutty-smelling fat, or you could try the traditional way using animal fats like lard, but in this case I liked the combination.

post-313-0-14946600-1423724622_thumb.jpg

This is a very easy low-tech method to preserve delicate scents.

• Like 3