The Corroboree
goneski

Source for Good Sauce Containers - No-Pour Agar

Hey all,

I'm keen to start messing around with agar, however I don't really want to use proper plates and have to pour agar. I like the idea of a no-pour agar tek.

The couple of teks I've read use the really short ball/mason jars, however they're so freaking expensive ($17 for 4 -- I think they're classified as a 'collector's item').

So, I figured if I can pick up some Polypropylene sauce / take away containers, that could work and be heaps cheap -- probably a good thing if you plan on making up a lot

of plates, doing a heap of transfers, etc.

With that in mind, is anyone able to suggest some good, cheap sauce (or other) containers to use for agar plates? The hardest thing seems to be finding something that's relatively

shallow, but a large diameter. I'd be looking at a diameter of 70mm - 90mm or so -- the same as standard plates. I'm worried the standard sauce containers will be too small. Most web site listings

only show the volume of containers, and not the diameter of the top lip, which also makes it hard to know if they will be big enough.

Or, should I just not be lazy and get proper agar plates and pour them like any normal person?

Cheers

Edited by SYNeR

Don't get petri dishes, well glass is ok but ordinary petri dishes are a single use item. I've got a few tubes of gamma radiated sealed tubes of petri dishes if you did happen to want to buy some. You can't PC them though, as I found out...messy.

Why do you need big diameter sauce containers? Just pour a couple more smaller dishes, take less wedges from each. It's also better to have more dishes, meaning one contam shouldn't affect all. I buy the smallest take away 'sauce' containers I can, I get them from an asian grocer. A couple of bucks for 50, a couple of bucks for some lids.

When I say sauce containers, you know what you get take away soy, or sweet and sour or sweet chilli sauce in. Maybe 50ml capacity.

• Like 1

Woolworths where I am are currently stocking some PP containers that are stronger than regular take aways but still cheaper than proper containers.

I've used woollie's screw lid 250ml containers (3 for $5) with little breather holes made from pieces of filter patch.

My experiments with take away containers have been inconclusive. Keeping them well sealed is very difficult but contamination doesn't seem to appear as fast as one would think... let me know how you go if you choose than route :)

I guess they're probably more suited for agar than as half pint jar replacements since you can seal 'em up with parafilm etc...

• Like 1

I'm happy to try out the smaller sauce containers, my main concern is that they would be a bit awkward to work with in a glove box, and you don't get as much surface area to work with if you're isolating,

selecting a piece to transfer, etc.

I've checked out both the local supermarkets, but haven't found anything suitable yet. I'll probably just order something online and see how I go.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

get the take away sauce containers they are great and last in the pc i have been doing agar

in then for ages never had many problems

do you want some edible cultures snyer

• Like 1

I was discussing my ghetto flow hood with another member, it probably cost me about $150 all up, you can do it for less if you have some things lying around. It's basically two storage tubs joined and sealed with silicone with a small HEPA filter that makes for a relatively portable desk-top unit. I never wanted to mess around with glove boxes, they're a pain to work with.

How affordable does a $150 parts cost sound to people? If it's something a few would be interested, I'll write a tek up (although I don't have a lot of mid-construction pics). edit: in time for your comp of course, bigred

Edited by endorfinder

Hehe it would also be nice to get a second opinion on the design. I've spent a lot of time in labs but I'm more macgyver than engineer with my own gear.

do you want some edible cultures snyer

Maybe shortly once I get set up with the agar.. Thanks for the offer :)

I'm thinking I'll give the take away sauce containers a shot. I might consider using proper agar plates for anything I want to store long term or share around, just

so it has that more professional look about it.. And use the take away containers for transfers, anything short-term and intermediary.

Cheers

Edited by SYNeR

also look into a glove bag its basicly a a hepa fan in a clear garbage bag

works great

• Like 1

Oh and you can get bell/mason jars online domestically for much much less than that, and they're not "collector's items"... 12 for about $30ish, half pint or pint (didn't look at prices on others).

Brilliant. Thanks Psylo. I remember you mentioning that site before. I looked last night and *think* I came across those, but didn't see the measurement listed (70mm is perfect), and wasn't

sure if they were Polypropylene. I take it you've used them?

I also found these..

http://noarlungapackaging.com.au/genfac-220ml-container/

The dimension of the 220mL containers look good.. 117 mm diameter, 36 mm high.

Cheers

EDIT: it seems now, doing a google search for 220mL containers shows up a few websites selling the containers above.. awesome.

EDIT2: These look good:

http://www.genfac.com.au/products/round/cat/RB70.html

75mm wide, 30mm high.. You can buy small amounts from Officeworks. I think I'll get a few and test them out before I commit to a carton of 1000:

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Catering-and-Cleaning/Food-Storage/Takeaway-Containers/LERB70

$5.13 + $3.55 = $8.68 for 50 containers with lids.. Not too bad. I'll order some tonight and see how they go :)

Edited by SYNeR

@Therefore do you notice a higher rate of contams with the clip on lid containers? I've found them somewhat unpredictable.

I've just ordered some containers of different sizes (70mL and 220mL) to try out..

Next dumb question -- when PCing containers with agar, do you put the lid on the container normally? I'd assume this would be okay

as they probably don't seal very well anyway?

Also any thoughts on the best kind of scalpels to use for agar work? I think I'd prefer a decent stainless steel one I can flame sterilise

if possible.

Edited by SYNeR

Watch RR's video on the topic... make the agar in a bottle with a filter lid, and pour your plates in a flow hood.

Edit: #11 scalpels have always been my favourite, although that predates doing work with agar... I just find the sharp crisp shape manoeuvrable.

Edited by endorfinder
  • Like 1

Mmm I won't give up on my injection ported takeaway containers yet then :)

Sterilise them and the agar in PC for an hour every time. Then pour, no worries.

Is this even necessary? The whole reason I wanted to get containers (apart from price), was so I could load up agar into each dish/container, and pressure cook -- no-pour agar.

Does this work fine if you put agar in the container, snap on the lid and pressure cook?

I only have a glove box, and I'm not too keen on pouring agar inside of it.

i pour the agar into the takeaway jars then pc for a hour and let cool over night.

but i get a lot of condensation and just pour it out when inoculating .

cool agar vid from lets grow mushrooms

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help / suggestions.

Bigred: when you PC the takeaway containers with agar in them, I take it you leave the lid cracked, and put a piece of foil over the top?

I'll experiment around to see what works, but will also grab a whiskey bottle or something to pour if I need to.

Cheers.

Find a PC-able bottle that's nice to pour from... seriously, liquor bottles are usually pretty crap at their intended purpose. Any bottle neck up to the size of a filter disk (90mm usually?) is equally convenient. If you're using tyvek or something it's even more flexible I imagine.

• Like 1

snyer i leave them cracked a little and wrap in foil

try using vegimite or better yet ozemite for agar blends i love the stuff and provides

a lot of nutes for the mycelium

• Like 1