The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
LikeAshesWeFade

Acuminata or Maidenii?

Question

Hey guys I was given this gorgeous little seedling from a very generous forum member and he said he'd been told it was either an Acuminata or a Maidenii. Now that she's grown a little I thought I'd see if anyone could narrow it down for me! :)

post-8096-0-24284100-1358743634_thumb.jp

post-8096-0-24284100-1358743634_thumb.jpg

post-8096-0-24284100-1358743634_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

My guess is Maidenii

• Like 1

Tis what I was thinking too!

I'd say maidenii, someone correct me if i'm wrong but I think acuminata has a slight curl on the phyllode tips.

This is a Maidenii of mine

2013-01-21160157_zps56ebf9e7.jpg

Hope that helps, maybe someone else can post a baby acuminata pic to help

Yeah I've been searching for pics of Acuminata seedlings.. bloody hard to find!

• Like 2

I have 3 maidenii and they look exactly like the above and your plant too. I read that Acuminata wood has a distinct rasperry jam smell, but I suppose your little seedling is too young to have this trait. There's a tiny gland on my maidenii's phyllodes, about 6mm-8mm from the base. No hairs.

This description from World Wide Wattle mentons acuminata's have minute hairs (cilliolate) on the leaf margins - there's no hairs on my maidenii

Tall shrubs or small trees with 2-6 main stems arising from or near near ground level.

Branchlets light grey. New shoots invested with a dense, yellow, appressed silky

hairs. Phyllodes rather long and narrow, flat, dark green, finely multi-nerved on each

surface, margins fringed with minute white hairs (especially on the upper half of the

phyllodes), narrowed at the apices into delicate, curved points; pulvinus distinct and

orange. Spikes sessile. Flowers 4-merous.

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/descriptions/kalannie/acuminata.pdf

Either way - you have a lovely plant!

• Like 1

Thanks for that Indian! Yeah I'm definitely starting to lean towards Maidenii. She's certainly an eye-catcher! Has grown soo fast over the last 3mths since I got it as a small 2 inch seedling.

That is almost certainly a maidenii, i've never grown an acuminata with such long leaves as a seedling but i imagine maidenii would have this trait.

• Like 1

Lovely! Thanks for that micro!