The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chemical Shaman

Screen printing t-shirts

I want to start screen printing my own offensive tshirts so I can wear em when i give Tom's mum her weekly visit at the old folks home.

Does anybody here know anything about screen printing tshirts?

Or like how much it would cost to get setup etc?

be careful starting a screen printing war with tom, cairns would have to be the screen printing capital of australia. i'll be keen to see your range of product, not too keen to see tubgirl on a shirt however.

A few tricks that I have picked up along the way

1) T shirts are usually treated with sizing or dressing of some sort and is worth while washing first to remove this protective "stuff"

2) Oil based inks are by far the best to print with, using good quality products will ensure that there is no loss of colour over time, some of the pigments in lesser brands will fade as they are not stable or light fast.

Solvents can be a bit harsh, a good ventilated work space is the trick, or not depending on what you want to achieve ie altered states of printing!

3) Use a stretcher frame to keep the shirt taught and away from the rear panel of the shirt, nothing worse thn having a reverse design on the back of your socially offensive shirts.

4) plastic stencils are good and easily washed for re use, if is a single colour image that you are after than this is easy, other wise you will need multiple plates for each colour and will have to consider registration of each plate.

5) I have found that an easy way to avoid colour bleeds is to spray the plate with an aerosol adhesive, is eay to remove and ensures a good seal. And I am sure that you would enjoy a good seal, so cute with those big eyes! Have a friend that is a self confessed NecroPedoZoophile, you may like to trade stories!

You should be able to make your own screens, just getting the right gauge silk gauze from the Art supply store and a rubber squeegee and wood from a hardware store.

Or you could always just use photoshop to make the image and print it onto shirt transfer paper and iron on!

Maybe you could post the design on the forum havent been offended in a long while!

Enjoy

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

"Have a friend that is a self confessed NecroPedoZoophile, you may like to trade stories!"

And pictures for your t-shirts.

NecroPedoZoophilia is legal where you live too? Its fine in at least 4/5 of the states over here so long as you do it in private (yes I have actually looked up stuff like that, dont ask).

let me get this right.... we are talking about 'stuffing' dead young animals, right??

sick puppies!

Hey, I live in Washington state. Its our legal right to have sex with dead animals, or concentual sex with live ones (yes you have to have consent if they are alive, so no restraining them and be willing to take GROWL for an answer). .

Arent you glad CS is back, he brings out the freak in all of us :)

[ 31. January 2003, 14:39: Message edited by: Auxin ]

Criminal Shirtman - how long are you going to make us wait before we start seeing the products? any previews on wording or designs?

i would love to see some of your t-shirts when ready.

CS, I want an extremely offensive shirt from you!

BTW I want to print shirt's too if I ever get the $ together.

Guest mandragora

Soory there comes my language in my way again t understand...

Can someone recommend any good brands of transfer paper for photoshop etc??

Ive been mucking around with fabric paints, but found it to be very time consuming!

Hey tripitaka man thanks for all the advice, i do appreciate it hella lots but assume for one second that I am a complete fuckwit (which I am) and that i don't know screen printing from 2 squirts o piss (which i don't). Where the hell do I begin??

Like where do I buy one of these screen-a-majig devices, what sort of places sell them? Do they come with instructions? any idea on price?

No way in hell I could construct one myself, I can barely figure out how to re-heat a jar of Paul Newmans Ranch Dressing over a couple warm cinderblocks let alone constuct some sort of t-shirt spiffying device.

Where do i get these paints from? You mentioned oil based paints, what sort of shops can I buy em at? like regular hardware stores etc?

Is making stencils hard? How intricate can i get with like text and stuff? are we talking serious detail here or smudgy shiznit?

Pretend like I am a total dipshit and explain this 2 me step by step.

if u iz anywhere near a city just look up screen printing supplies in the yellow pages and trot off to the shop for a look. all the frames, squegees and paint you could want.

Check for 2nd hand screen printing stuff!