The Corroboree
solomon

Moving to Melbourne

Hey all, I'm planning on moving to Melbourne early next year, June at the latest.

Set to get my passport and tickets after the new years/xmas rush, then I'm going to try and save a bit of money fruit picking for a few months before heading over.

I'm planning on sticking around for a couple years, and looking for work in horticulture.

Will probably take the first job I find tho when I get there, a bit of hospo experience might pay off in a big city but I hate that work :(

Going to try and save for travel in South East Asia ;)

I basically wanted some ideas on where to live (what areas have cheap rent etc), maybe some tips for finding work, things to check out, what to expect yadayada.

oh and hello melbourne peeps look forward to meeting you :)

Edited by solomon
  • Like 4

oh and hello melbourne peeps look forward to meeting you :)/>

Ditto.

I don't know of a lot of fruit picking to be had in Melbourne. There is asparagus picking, or apples, but I think you might miss the season. I am sure you will find something though. There is work if you want to work hey.

Good luck with your ventures and see you at the Melbourne meet next year.

:)

Hi solomon,

check out http://gumtree.com.au - its an invaluable resource for finding work and housing plus all kinds of other stuff.

Personally, the north/north-east burbs are where its at. South of the river is more pretentious and expensive. Having quite a lively food culture I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting work in hospitality.

Where are you moving from?

Cheers guys

thats alright Amz, I figured I would miss the season over there, plus if i come over in winter will have a chance to get settled in before the plants take over.

Been checking out gumtree a bit. Man some of the $0/pw room arrangements are scary.

Ah thats nice to know mu, can't wait to be back in a big city with all the worlds food represented :)

Moving from South Island, New Zealand... so looking forward to a bit more warmth.

I guess you might be needing a plant sitter then?

*raises hand*

Cool bro. Hope it works out well for you over there.

• Like 1

I heard from my Melbourne mates that it's sometimes colder over there than Auckland, hehe. But I heard the city is full of really kind, unique people, if you look for them hard enough. I think that regardless of where you go, the difference of being in a different location will open your eyes, and you'll just get a whole bunch more perspective that you didn't have already. Anyway, best of luck man. :)

• Like 1

Hey there, come on over Melbourne needs more kiwis...(just jokin) :P

but seriously, if you want some advice regarding working in the Horticulture industry send me a PM.

Melbourne is a great place to live overall with lots of friendly sab'ers and a kick ass rugby league team

• Like 1

Hey man, we've also decided to move to Melb early next year too!

We've sold all our shit, saved up a heap of money, booked our tickets and are ready to go!

One thing you should definitely take into consideration though, as we didn't, is how your gonna secure a house from NZ.

We thought it was gonna be as easy as scoring a place from here, then getting off the plane and pretty much moving into our new home! NOT THAT EASY!

Allot of real estates require you to actually view the property in person before you can even apply for it, which is a bit hard to do when your in a different country :blink:. They want your bond payed within 24 hours of being approved for a house (so set up an aus bank account to transfer money straight away) and they also need a MONTH in advance on top of that. if you don't have a job already lined up, or aren't returning to one, they'll require 6 months in advance (pretty much a deposit to buy your own house!) so you can prove that your able to afford the rent.. otherwise a really good excuse! If you do manage to score a job from here however, you'll need to email/ fax them your employment contract etc.

The best way to do it is, to start looking for temporary share accommodation (as you don't really require too much bond/ work etc) so you can actually live there and start looking for work/ places to live and get some aus history behind you for the real-estates. in saying that, We wrote a nice fancy cover letter and applied for a dozen houses from here just too see how we would go.. will have to wait and see (fingers crossed) otherwise we'll be having to do the share accommodation thing too. (hostels/ B&B are way too expensive)

Also, the exchange rate sucks from here, so your lovely savings will obviously be worth F all when you get there.. our respectable amount of around $8000 is just over $6000 au. so once you account for your bond and month in advance, plus maybe another month of money to cover your rent if you cant get a job straight away, money to afford to eat for that amount of time, transport etc... your not left with much.. so start saving!

luckily jobs are pretty easy to find in melb though, so you should be rolling in delicious australian dollars within a few weeks and wont have to worry so much.

Nice places we're looking at that are reasonably affordable, and close enough to the city without having to need a car are.. Prahran, Windsor, St. Kilda/ east, Caulfield north, Malvern east (starting to get too far) richmond is alright too. up the other end of the city, Kensington, and Flemington are nice as well.

...Just what we've learnt so far, wish I knew some of this before we booked our tickets haha. hope it helps. and good luck!

• Like 1

if i was you you i'd get in touch with some real estate agents, start getting a rapport. it depends where you want to live close to the city i found hard to get a place but away from the city was really easier (although i am a single male so theres a fair bit of discrimination when it comes to renting).

How's your planning coming along!? We didn't end up securing a house from nz, but we ended up scoring one within 3 days of being here! Wasn't too hard at all. As long as you have your money for bond and month in advance, it's pretty easy! Just hve to get in quick and try to beat everyone else to it! Good luck anyways! Oh.. And don't forget to book your temp accommodation wayy in advance! We ended up paying $500AU for 3 nights as everything was booked out!

Hey all, checking in to say I'm traveling round the top of the South Island here for a few more months

met some amazing people in this part of the country and have seen heaps of new plant life, exotics and native.

heaps of Coriaria species, gotta remember to save some seed for T :innocent_n:

just thought i would let people know on here, as i probably wont be able to check in that often.

so no, i am not a PM snob or dead. much love sab crew xx

• Like 5