The Corroboree
Francois le Danque

"Titanium Lily" ...anyone know about this?

hi all

my dad says that at the botanic gardens at the moment (in melbourne), there is a rare flower about to open. he says there are "only a hundred in the world, they rarely flower and the flower only lasts two days"

i have googled to the best of my ability and can't find out what he is on about. the name might not even be right. the closest thing i could find is a media release from mid last year about some "rotting meat orchid" :s

anyone got any dirt on this?? :P

We should have based our Melbourne meet around flowering of this plant hey. I assume its in the glass house / atrium area?

:)

I've got about 20 in my greenhosue, so I am sure there are more than 100 around the world. but yeah, quite a special plant. Just don't inhale.

• Like 3

I just was lucky enough to be gifted some little A bulbifer bulbs and they are starting to grow nicely. Amorphophallus are pretty amazing, I really want to get a couple titanum but they get massive and smell like a dead back packer so the wife says no.

• Like 3

I think probably he heard only about a hundred recorded blooms in cultivation. The plants themselves, while uncommon, pop up on ebay all the time.

Edit: In fact there are both plant (bulb) and seed on ebay.au right now.

Edited by Alice

Word on the grapevine is that Amorphophallus titanum is about to flower at Melbourne, within a few days. The tuber of the plant at Melbourne is about 35kg so the reckoning is that the flower is going to be a whopping 2 metres or so, definitely worth going to see.

Edited by whitewind
  • Like 1

I hope the heat today will coax it open a little earlier than xmas day

cool beans. you would think the gardens would publicise such a special event but their website offers no clues..

they are on their Twitter feed & probably facebook page

cool beans. you would think the gardens would publicise such a special event but their website offers no clues..

that's because those plants are man eaters and, i put them on the deadly 60.

• Like 1

they are on their Twitter feed & probably facebook page

well im sorry i am old fashioned for expecting their website to be up to date instead of this new fangled social media gizmos :P

so does anyone know when it is to open?? i dont know how to use aforementioned gizmos :(

apparently, It opened xmas day but fully open and good to see for the 26th

So we trundled off to the Melbourne botanical gardens today, such a wonderful day, a beautiful antidote to all the Christmas hyper activity.

post-4664-0-33924800-1356515946_thumb.jppost-4664-0-10091600-1356515973_thumb.jppost-4664-0-34638700-1356516016_thumb.jp

the stench was bearable, the queue was an hour long but the weather was terrific.

Titan Arum1.jpg

Titan Arum2.jpg

Titan Arum3.jpg

Titan Arum1.jpg

Titan Arum2.jpg

Titan Arum3.jpg

• Like 7

^ Good on you Eth'. Nice pics too. I am thinking the smell gets worse as the flower opens completely?. I would like to smell it , you know, just for the experience of it all.

Still spewi'n this wasn't happening a few weeks ago when we were all there hey?!

:)

Yeah maz, i stuck my head right in and took a good whiff........still wasn't over-powering or anything. The petal agreed, so perhaps it does have a more potent odour when fully bloomed? It's quite a special flower to behold.

I read the "pay load" only lasts for an 8 hour period...

I went along as well but couldn't be bothered waiting in the queue. I peered inside but the door bitch didn't like me hanging around out the front.

Had a nice walk around the gardens though.

They should've sold Amorphophallus ice cream near the line...it was pretty warm