The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spice-of-life

Best Cacti Nurseries SEQ

I have been to several different nurseries around the SEQ area lately looking for rare and interesting Cacti without much luck. To be honest I would say Bunnings had the best range out of all of them which is really saying something... Surely there are a few gems among the cobblestones out there somewhere. I haven't even seen one Bridgesii monstrose(penis plant). Can anyone suggest a good place to find a dedicated cacti nursery that's actually worth the drive to go and see??

just start here.

Order from sab or members here. You'll never find them much better priced and good selection.

• Like 4

naja naja's right, although its great to be able to have a good look around at nice plants and make your selection here's probably your best bet for finding what you want at a good price.

I really don't think there are any I have done quite an extensive search and all I found was wholesale nurseries for cacti

This guy often has heaps of interesting goodies & even though he is an ebay store he does sometimes welcome ppl into the nursery with prior arrangement.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/usmobhere/m.html?hash=item416e5c61ef&item=281024422383&pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562

I dont know that there is sufficient interest in cacti for a nursery dedicated solely to cactus to survive financially. Even a lot of the old time semi commercial growers are moving into succulents rather than cacti since that is what the market is demanding at present.

• Like 2

Usmobhere has the best range I have ever seen in QLD its ridiculous.

• Like 2

yeah, succulents suck ass. People assume that I like them cause I like cacti

• Like 3

Does Usmobhere have a walk-in nursery or does he just have an Ebay page?

If you think succulents suck then you haven't seen enough succulent some succulent are awsome like gasteria and hawthia assuming they are actually classed as succulents id saw they would be.

Does Usmobhere have a walk-in nursery or does he just have an Ebay page?

technically its just an ebay shop but if you contact him he is usually happy to have visitors & he has TONS of strange little gems tucked in odd corners

the other day I went into a garden centre and saw a 20cm lageniformis for $59... I look at some of mine and just laugh to think 'who would pay that?'

where do the one from bunnings come from? if you can get in touch with them you might be able to buy at wholesale prices

it is awesome feeling paying less than a hundred bucks for half a dozen of these:

trichocereus-pachanoi-crested_3.jpg

I will be back one day my darling... I will come back for you!

ahem

but yeah, check out the trade section, there have been a few penis plants for sale lately, there might still be.

Edited by chilli

join the cacti society there are some really old school growers there

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am going to have a look at Wandjina Gardens today. Was going yesterday but spent too much time in Byron :). I may even be able to get some pics up to give you's an idea of what to expect if you visit.

Hey, I had a chance to go visit Wandjina Gardens yesterday. There is a wide variety of plants & cacti for sale. It is definitely worth the drive out there to see for yourself. I picked up a Myrtillocactus geometrizans & a bridgesii of unknown strain. They also had a nice Calea and a Viridis Shipibo which I couldn't say no to.

I was also at Bunnings today and noticed a lonely pachanoi(I think??) which was $5 and basically had no soil left. When I got to the checkout I asked if there was some soil around to put in the pot but apparently the Bunnings garden center has no soil lol. Anyway in the end the chicky behind the counter only charged me $2 for it which I thought to myself at the time was the cacti's way of saying "thanks for saving me" . I just planted it into a 170mm pot with well draining soil. Will post pics up a little later.

Edited by spice-of-life
  • Like 1

What store did this 'lonely pachanoi' with 'no soil' come from? I'd been eyeing off a baby T.scop at Nerang Bunnings (SE QLD) for the past few weeks with no soil....wonder if it was the same one lol!

My best cacti have come from Wandjina and mebers on here! otherwise your local Bunnings Nursery manager can place special orders through Paradisia (which Collector's Corner happens to be an offset business of!), or Hamilton's. Both will have what you want, but not as cheap as if u find it on here!

It was at the Browns Plains store. It would be awesome to be able to look through Paradisia's nursery or Hamilton's for that matter.

Bunnings $2 cactus!!

Bunnings cactus #2

Myrtillocactus geometrizans & unknown bridgesii from Wandjina Gardens

Myrtillocactus geometrizans

bridgesii

Edited by spice-of-life

I agree that Usmobhere is fantastic for cactus. I sometimes ask him for a mixed bag where for $40 I get 20 mixed cactus. Was great for stock for the stall. Otherwise he has many Astrophytums, Trichocereus, and your usual common cacti. There are a few other Qld sellers on eBay that are always selling. Depends what you want. Better off searching for the specific type on eBay.

Qld Cactus Society is great for rare and collector cactus. Just go to the meetings at Wooloongabba a tad early to buy stuff. Otherwise the November Xmas Raffle (just gone) is brilliant to get a box of cactus in one night for cheap. They have members who own cacti nursery's mainly out of Brisbane thou and I haven't checked any out yet.

I didn't notice anyone mentioning the arid nursery in West End Brisbane. Probably your best actual shop/nursery for cactus. If you like cactus and live in Brisbane then you should definitely check it out.

Mappin's Nursery

Nurseries-Retail - West End, QLD

240 Montague Rd, West End QLD 4101, Australia

phone_icon.png(07) 3846 6240

SOME eBAY CACTUS SELLERS

Here are some other eBay sellers that sell cactus. I have used them all before and find them to be all fair priced. These sellers have psy. cacti as well as other types. If anyone knows any other good sellers it would be good to know.

Another Great Seller! Really diverse range. Especially if you want some mescaline cactus that are harder to find such as Leuchtenbergia principis and various Turbinicarpus. Always has different stuff up so go back and check out from time to time.

cookscactus

Many Succulents and cacti (mainly non-psy.). However search for Trichocereus Spachianus 'Golden Torch' on eBay and you will see Jenny's listing that she always seems to have listed. Great plants I have bought quite a few off her and have a hedge starting now. Combined postage.

jennysplants

Astrophytums n other cactus as well as heaps of seeds.

botanicbounty2012

Looking for massive Lophs the size of DVDs. Expensive stuff but you get what you paid for. Not sure if he always has stuff to sell.

juke_duke

Sells Lophs every now and then but Shaman australis Nursery is better.

pantheon_botanicals

Sells Ariocarpus from time to time. Usually well established plants (10+ yrs old)

seven_stars

Ariocarpus and Turbinicarpus. Sells from time to time.

thelivingrock

Bulk succulent cuttings. Great to get new stock up. Not psychoactive plants thou.

bruceanddota

There are many Tri. sellers. The guy from Beerwah QLD is really good and has some cool stock but I can't find his ID. Sorry.

usmobhere is still one of the best. Sells many Astrophytums, Trichocereus and sometimes Loph as well as stack of others. Does many Grafts too.

Also a warning. If you are on eBay you might of noticed the absolutely insane cactus and great prices from many sellers from Thailand.

benji_lew is one of them. They make you pay extra so they can get the quarantine paperwork done. It would be worth it but I have had no success trying it out. Neither have some others in Queensland (not sure about other states). Australia has additional paperwork and admin in place that made it 'too hard pile' for me. Doesn't seem like they would accept whatever they wanted anywaz. I got my money back at least.