The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiders

Happy New Years!

I hope everyone had a great time last night! I know I did! There were fireworks all around the city which we could see from where we were. Some guys near us threw a flare at a police car which was a bit silly, but then they launched some great fireworks of their own! Nothing better than welcoming the new year with the help of Copelandia!

The Police at Byron were great (unless I only know what I saw, and they were complete bastards elsewhere) . They didn't have any problems with people on the beach letting fireworks off,, drinking alcohol, smoking pot, having sex. Almost like the beach presented some sort of immunity against prosecution.

Although people weren't as blatent with smoking infront of officers on the street, it was still happening, and I didnt' observe any confiscations or arrests.

And probably because of the 'turning a blind eye' angle, the crowds could not focus any anger towards them, and there were no problems of that nature. Too bad their leniancy only lasts for one night a year.

Byron was crap. All venues were sold out by the time we got there and the communal entertainment wasn't all that great. 2 years ago there was a nice feeling of community, lots of little street parties and lots of little stalls. This year it seemd that whereever you looked there was a tall fence, grumpy security guards, and non-local attitude-driven cops and $25 covercharge to hear crap music and drink fruit juice.

The night before we saw an aboriginal woman getting arrested for assaulting a police officer. The cops were trying to move her on (she was sitting quietly and not drunk in a corner on the sidewalks as they always do) and she politely refused. A cop tried to grab her by the shoulder to pull her up and she brushed his hand off. Two cops the violently grabbed her, stood her up and cuffed her. The cops weren't locals.

Anyway, on NYE, we left Byron by 11 as we had been bored for almost an hour. There was NOTHING to do other than consume alcohol (if you were smart enough to stock up before the bottleshops closed at 10 - which we weren't). The highlight of the night (which was very pleasant!!) was to drive up to coolamon scenic drive and watch the simultaneous fireworks in Byron, Brunswick (the best), Ballina, Lennox and various private spots, while sipping bubbly. Even the doof we went to was crap and we were in bed by 2.

next year I think I'll go to woodford.

Yeah the capitalistic nature was a shock to us. I wasn't going to pay those entry fees, plus the 15% surcharges many were trying on.

We went down there, for no other reason than hearing people talking about byron is the place to be, and well it wasnt' unless you wanted to spend shit loads of money, the free concerts were terrible, and didnt' appear to be holding anyone's interest.

So we were left with small private parties, gate crashing a wedding, watching the fireworks, and hanging around just talking to people on the beach (where everyone else that wasnt' prepared to pay extortionate fees was), but there was no entertainment as such other than personal interaction.

Still, the police seemed well behaved,, well perhaps other than pepper spraying a guy who seemed to be having a bad trip outside the great northern.

As soon as we got there we realised that Byron had changed dramatically in the last 2 years. No, not the town, but the people.

When Daniel and I first moved up here 5 or so years ago we moved here because we were spending more time here than in sydney anyway and the travelling was getting tedious. We had hardly moved that the party scene changed after the closure of the epicenter. outside doofs are nice in summer, but just don't cut it in winter.

Anyway, this was the first time we noticed how Byron was changing. The the international backpackers stopped coming, slowly replaced by aussies and mostly surf orientated crowds. The artists, freaks, authors, etc started moving away. Not far, but far enough to change the flavour of Byron. The DJ's moved to melbourne, cairns or went back to their overseas origins.

Then the shops changed. From small cafes with alternative foods to the yuppie places styled a la Paddington. From arty shops to surfwear (how many fucking surfshops does Byron need????). Then the sniffer dogs arrived in Byron and nailed the coffin shut on the alternative scene. The hippies simply didn't come to town anymore.

(The upside of this is that Mullumbimby is much livelier and alternative these days. There are no empty shops in the main street, and trade is going well. New cafe's are opening up and the town seems to have a new lease on life.)

I am not sad for Byron. I am also happy that i didn't move too close to Byron. Byron is getting what it deserves. It is run by a conservative mayor and the greedy chamber of commerce. The loss of community will be felt by all except those who are lining their pockets. People need to wake up to realise this and to recapture their town. if they don't then it will runs its normal course anyway and they will see where it ends eventually. This is not the first time this has happened to a coastal country town. From alternatives and travellers who visit at all times of year, to the young families and yuppies who only visit in the holidays. In the last few years the trading peak in Byron has shrunk from 5 months down to less than 3. But the 3 months are amplified. This increases infrastructure costs but decreases sustainable income. It also makes Byron susceptible to holiday trends and fads, which is a dangerous situation.

The town will explode and then decay. But that doesn't matter either if you review Byron's 50 year flood lines which basically decimate much of Byrons yuppie development wink.gif

The sad thing is that the police station will be beachfront property wink.gif

Having lived in Byron about twenty years ago, all I can say is once it became the place everyone wanted to go to, it beacme the place I wanted to leave.

No idea what the attraction ever was after that... why would you go to a crowded place to walk up and down a crowded beach looking at other ppl who had come from far away to do exactly the same thing? It always reminded me of hamsters with their wheels stuck within viewing range of each other, all of them too stupid to stop running and jump off

Mebbe I'm just old, or an unabashed redneck, but I always thought a beach was a nice quiet stretch of sand and waves with as few ppl on it as possible smile.gif

Maybe Byron will be worth returning to once the ppl disappear and the nature of the landscape is revealed again. Say what you like about the council there ( and I agree with you ) but at least they have so far avoided letting the Gold Coast architectural disasters and McDonalds in on the act

Originally posted by Darklight:

Mebbe I'm just old, or an unabashed redneck,

the latter wink.gif

but I always thought a beach was a nice quiet stretch of sand and waves with as few ppl on it as possible smile.gif

Is that the recipe for staying single wink.gif

at least they have so far avoided letting the Gold Coast architectural disasters and McDonalds in on the act

Yes, but I don't think this is due to a grand view, but rather because the local business people know that Maccas would take away much of the local cafe and T/A business. The powerful people in the chamber of commerce are shrewd and experienced business people. Sure they give all these alternative reasons for keeping club med, maccas etc out, but they are doing the same for any 'new' locals who might give them a bit of competition. They are protecting their virtual monopolies all the while making us believe they have the interest of the town at heart. Good plan.

Torsten wrote: "next year I think I'll go to woodford"

It took you HOW long to work this out? But hurry, Woodforde´s on the way too. (well, the festival anyway. but it will never be anything like byron).

Last time I was in Byron for any length of time (a week) was in summer three years ago, and I didn´t notice too much community between all the surf-sarong-snifferdog crowd up from sydney and beyond.

Might just have been me.

Darklight- "but I always thought a beach was a nice quiet stretch of sand and waves with as few ppl on it as possible"

I agree. Torsten, if you want a brothel, they´re usually just BEHIND the beach, not on it. ;-) Personally, the less people on a beach, the more I enjoy it (the beach, that is). Not that I´m adverse to a peach-filled beach, however. I like mermaids; but I also like clean, quiet sand and urine-free water.

Originally posted by Gwydion:

It took you HOW long to work this out? But hurry, Woodforde´s on the way too.

Daniel and I headed that way a few years ago, but ended up going to a doof only a few k's away from woodford festival. I am not too keen on folk, but the festival of fire has intrigued this pyromaniac for many years wink.gif

Last time I was in Byron for any length of time (a week) was in summer three years ago, and I didn´t notice too much community between all the surf-sarong-snifferdog crowd up from sydney and beyond.

No, I didn't mean that there was much community normally. But at NYE 2 and 3 years ago it was a really friendly, open and community like atmosphere.

I agree. Torsten, if you want a brothel, they´re usually just BEHIND the beach, not on it. ;-)

Yes, so I've been told (especially about Broken Head) wink.gif

Personally, the less people on a beach, the more I enjoy it

ditto! But then again I am not single wink.gif

I grew up on a beach that was 1.5 kilometers WIDE (and 20km long) at high tide. At low tide it was several Km wide reaching out onto giant sandbars. I could also walk in the sanddunes for hours without ever running into anyone (yes, tourists used to die every year on the beach and in the dunes after getting lost or washed out to sea). I think that is the main reason why I don't like aussie beaches all that much - they don't compare too well with what I grew up with.

And you grew up WHERE exactly!?!? eek.gif

Not enough that most of you lot in Straya actually have beaches to go to on New Years, YOU have to talk about HUGE frikin´ playas. I think that, quite frankly, you have been spoilt, Torsten.

As for pyromania- why do you think I go to Woodforde (apart from the fact that they pay me when I perform)?

I don´t know if they ever got around to it (I only go every second year or so- whenever I get a gig), but a few years ago, they were talking about a new years ceremony beginning with hundreds of bagpipes emerging out of the morning mist. tongue.gif Och aye tha noo! Now THAT is not to be mist. biggrin.gif

O, and I think I forgot:

Hapy New Year everybody!

hmmm, Byron bay that crowded and yuppified huh?!

That sucks, I would much rather indeed be somewhere away from crowds. Never really liked crowds.

I hear that surfing is indeed popular in austrailia, somewhat a mainstream sport.

I like to surf, but hearing how the byron scene it is discribed.... "yuck!"

Die yuppie scum wink.gif

And you grew up WHERE exactly!?!? eek.gif

I spent about 6 months of the year from age 7 to 15 on the North Frisian Island 'Amrum'.

I think that, quite frankly, you have been spoilt, Torsten.

I KNOW I have been. This island and the closeness to nature there was a major aspect that shaped my life.

As for pyromania- why do you think I go to Woodforde (apart from the fact that they pay me when I perform)?

do they pay DJ's too??? Probably not eh.

Woodford?

i thought that was just for squares who like country music?

What about that fire festival/

Can someone fill us in?

T: "I spent about 6 months of the year from age 7 to 15 on the North Frisian Island 'Amrum'."

And the other 6?

"This island and the closeness to nature there was a major aspect that shaped my life."

Know the feeling. I spent my whole life until age 18 right next to national park in the mid north coast, on a property that had only EVER been cleared once (the year before my parents bought it and let it revert totally).

The rainforest is popping up in wierd places. cool.gif

And the other 6?

One of Frankfurt's inner sattellite towns (Dreieich). Nice contrast eh?

Guest phyllode

i was in byron on xmas day it was ok becauce there was not many people around compared to normal at this time of year....i also went to woodford and on the fire event night i heared a report that the sniffer dog were there but i did not see them but belive the person that told me.... i still had a great time but spent a lot of money