The Corroboree
soulsvr

Simple tip

Hey Guys I was reading somewhere to always water our cacti from the bottom. This makes total sense. I am not sure of the reasoning though. Anyways I read this will keep the ugly calcium buildup off the sides and top of cacti.

Sometimes I get in a hurry watering my cacti so I splash it every where. Also do we really know what is in our water? I started using Bottled water to water my cacti and favorite plants. this started to get expensive quick. I was getting ready to go back to tap water and my wife reminded me I had bought one of those water filtering pitchers. WOW. The filter need changed only every three months and I get lots of water out of them.

I started using this to water all my indoor cacti and other favorite plants. I am impressed with this idea.

When buying your pitcher you can determine what size you want to filter down to. It think it does a good job

Now the down side. I have no idea if these filters really work. Am I helping the plants at all? I am hoping time will tel.

I figure I am on the right track. I let all my water sit at least 24 hrs to get rid of most chlorine and hoping the filter does the rest.

This is just an idea. I am hoping it helps someone else

I wouldn't use bottled water alot has high salt levels. ph may be the most important thing for nutrient uptake. Possible have a look what your water ph is and raise or lower for your particular plants needs. I'm lazy I just water out of the tap and our ph is high but I think that most seem to like this.

when I remember, I kick open the door greenhouse house door, hose the whole lot down from the top straight from a hose turn off the hose and forget about it. :)

of course I'm being a little silly but the the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think it really matters. if the water is good enough for me to drink the plants can have it too. the only problem I have had with watering from the top is in the colder months water doesn't evaporate and sits on the plant for a long time which can cause little patches of what I can only think is some form of rot. usually these grow out and are not a problem -- just unsightly. I do try and water in the morning to give the water a chance to evaporate during the day.

• Like 1

The only thing good I can think of bottom watering is that it encourages the roots to search a bit more for there little drink .

• Like 1

some of my smalelr plants who are rather "snug" in their pots i'll bottom water but that's just so i don't have to sit there for 5 minutes watering them 10ml at a time trying to make sure nothing spills over the side. but i was just wondering, might the capillary action of bottom watering provide a more comprehensive/complete watering where watering from the top might leave dry spots, particularly if the soil is dry?

Yes I think that may be true qualia

The only thing good I can think of bottom watering is that it encourages the roots to search a bit more for there little drink

Mexicans particularly appreciate this

I read somewhere that bottom watering can help prevent soil compaction that can occur when top watering, but haven't really noticed a difference. Watering from the bottom can save time where you don't have to be spraying the pot for 5-10 min, you could just let it sit and have the capillary action do the work for you!

From my brewing literature, they recommend boiling water and letting it cool to room temp to precipitate out much of the calcium carbonate in the water which will leave a residue of calcium carbonate in your pot. I've never tried this however, our water isn't too hard for my purposes, and I tend to think the calcium carbonate buffers the pH of the soil to keep the pH dropping too much from fertilizers.

I can be pretty lazy, I mostly use tap water but I try and use rain water whenever possible. Tap water in Adelaide is ridiculously heavy so I don't think it's too good for long term pot plants.

I've never noticed a difference between the two but i've hardly been scientific in my approach.

I also never bottom water unless the pot is completely dry and not taking up water at all.

• Like 1

I have recentlystarted adjusting the PH of the water that I use for all of my plants that are inside but it is way to hard to do that for the ones that are outside they just get water from the reticulation or the hose.

I try and bottom water ( a good soak ) all of my plants that are under lights at least once a month I don't believe that giving cacti a little water is watering. When I water all of the soil in the pots gets wet right through. If you are not using a really well draining mix then this could cause problems but I would change the mix so you can water properly.

In addition to bottom watering I have a small 1.5 liter plastic watering can with a small spout (bought from bunnings) that I have added a piece of plastic tube onto the spout to extend it so I can reach the pots at the back. The tube is also smaller than the original spout so I have a lot more control over were the water actually goes so most ends up in the pots rather than all over the plants.

Cheers

Got

I water my cactus plants so infrequently they're lucky if they get any kind of water at all. Typically they get a drink from the garden hose, with the bigger potted lophs getting a pan to sit in to ensure the whole root ball soaks up the water. Then they'll typically get to dry out til the soil is bone dry or beyond.

Other than rain water, its probably a good idea to keep water off the plants themselves, especially big old woolly ones like arios.

I have three sets of really powerful permanent magnets clamped on my water line, one at the meter, one where the water enters my house, and one on the hose bibb. Everything watered with the garden hose is watered with magnetized water.

magnetised water? I have never heard of this?

I think Zelly or someone else posted some info a while ago about it.

I will see if I can find it

Cheers

Got

I try to water from the bottom but only because if your pot is completely dry you could put literally 10L on it and it runs strait through and 8% of your soil is bone dry.

• Like 1