The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ambient

Canned Tuna Guide

Just some good info to know if you eat tuna.

Greenpeace recently posted their "4th Canned Tuna Guide. Each year, thanks to you guys taking action, more & more tuna brands are switching to sustainable fishing methods." (Greenpeace - 2012)

2012 Canned Tuna Ranking

• Like 1

Very interesting thanks, I was only vaguely aware of these issues and never looked into it.

Turns out my cheapo tins of choice (woolies) are one of the worst offenders :(

No more woolies brand tuna for me then. Might switch to greenseas as a bit better choice, pretty sure my local supermarket has them.

• Like 1

What's wrong with a bit of dolphin? Mmmmm mammal...

Thats terrible Gilligan! don't you realise the dolphins will come back to destroy you from their spaceships if we keep eating them... gosh!

B)

• Like 4

like they say - learn something new each day . This is an important issue , thanks for the info . I would rather pay a little more than decimate a species .

i haven't eaten tuna for about three years, though I love it the guilt just isn't worth it. I generally get annoyed with preachy people in regards to food ie fundementalist vegans etc but I can't help but speak up whenever I see someone open a tin of tuna. it just ain't worth it folks. we can't just go completely wiping out key predator species & expect not to royally fuck shit up which, if you connect the dots basically equates to raping our own arses with a 3 foot long aids infected cactus... if you catch my drift

edited typo

Edited by paradox

also , might it be possible that tuna and other species are affected by oocurrances further down the food chain , such as the horrific super trawler that was recently prevented raping the local area ?

Unfortunately now days you will find allot of sea food contains low levels of toxic chemicals & not just from what is discussed in the video above. Another big contributor is plastic waste that breaks apart in the ocean. This plastic doesn't actually break down chemically for a very long time, the particles just float around until they wash ashore or get consumed by filter feeders (have a closer look at the sand next time you go to the beach, you might be able to spot a few grains that aren't actually sand).

Some of the plastic petrochemicals are absorbed by the filter feeders which are then eaten by their predators concentrating the chemicals slowly as they work their way to the top of the food chain (us). As a species we are exposed to some of the highest levels of toxic chemicals through what we eat, and that's not just for sea food... but thats another story.

All this talk is making me feel like going outside & planting some more veggies in the garden :)

I had no idea about Fish Aggregation Devices (FADs) and purse seine nets until now. That's pretty shocking that this type of fishing is still allowed and even encouraged by big companies like woolies and john west.

http://www.protectth...egation-device/