The Corroboree
Evil Genius

Treasure Hunting Time

Hi Guys, just got me an awesome Metaldetector. Its the type the german bombsquad uses and is not comparable to the cheap detectors you can only find what you already see on top of the soil. It finds all kind of stuff down to a meter or two. Im actually ecstatic over finally getting one because i wanted one for years. Anyone else into Treasurehunting?

Was trying it out yesterday in the garden and already found an oild coin, a few meteorites and some bomb fragments from the war. Will use this thread to share some pics but wanna clean them first.

Does Anyone know good and affordable recipes for cleaning rusted objects? I heard oxalicacid should be good but need other options that are non toxic or non carcinogen. Thanks. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 4

sand slurry and agitation, uses the caaorsness of the sand to buff it clean. works well for cleaning inside old bottles.

Was trying it out yesterday in the garden and already found an oild coin, a few meteorites and some bomb fragments from the war.

haha nice one, I wanna see these said meteorites from your garten!

To bad it can't find my uber mouse ;)

Warn point lifted, über mouse gone it's ur choice.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

Isn't coca-cola good for.cleaning metals?

I can't wait to are some pics eg

I've always wanted to go treasure hunting but never really had the money to buy a decent metal detector

• Like 1

haha nice one, I wanna see these said meteorites from your garten!

Well im not entirely sure so it could also be weird bomb fragments but they look pretty much molten and are not typical bomb splinters. Wouldnt know what else they should be besides bomb splinters. If you are experienced with this, you can help ruling out certain things. I´ve been look at pictures of Asteroids yesterday evening and the general shape is very similar. Havent cleaned em yet so it could certainly be something else but at this point, i dont know why it should be so unlikely. Theres all kind of shit falling from the skies.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

meteorites are magnetic, simple test. hardly conclusive.

A diluted acid soak can help but the less diluted the faster the stripping action so you need to take care. Some acids are better than others for this sort of application so you would need to do some research.

The best is abrasion if you have access to compressed air you can buy little grit blasting guns and / or cabinets. If you are really hands on you could make one your self :)

There are numerous products that you can use as the grit from plastics, nut shells and glass for less aggressive blasting and then there is garnet and chilled iron if you really want to remove material fast.

Cheers

Got

• Like 2

If you want to preserve fine detail on ferrous metal you could go down the reverse electrolysis path, it could possibly work on non-ferrous metals as well but i havent actually tried it on anything other than steel.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCro6V_RsTo

Edited by shortly

I am looking forward to hearing about all the great stuff your going to find Evil Genius. Your going to build some muscle too, digging for treasure is no easy task.

Molasses is a good rust remover. I can't remember the exact ratio of water to molasses, but I think it was 10 to 1 . It eats rust off good and proper.

I like the idea of treasure hunting. Imagine finding some pirates booty.

:)

If you find anything you think may be of value, don't clean it until you have talked to an expert. A lot of old stuff is considered better with patina or other visible age to it, and you can devalue things significantly by cleaning.

• Like 5

i'd be keen on seeing any war stuff if you feel like sharing it EG, fragments, shells, bayonets, knives etc. :)

Nice interest, you'd find some fascinting stuff over there, and no doubt have already.

Edited by gerbil

Just came home from treasurehunting. Fuck me, forgot how hard work it is to dig around. Pretty much cleaned up the Forrest but most of it looked like crap.

Btw, just found out that regular diswashing tabs are a great tool to clean them without destroying the patina. The coin i found is a "2 Reichspfenning Coin" from 1874. Will post pics later. Its still in the bath. Guys, the feeling of finding a coin thats more than hundred years old comes as close to sex as you can get... :)

• Like 1

i'd be keen on seeing any war stuff if you feel like sharing it EG, fragments, shells, bayonets, knives etc. Don't mean to offend, but if you find something like a rare or any youth knife that'd be incredibly fascinating, but i doubt the chance

Already found lots of stuff last time i was hunting with my cheapo Detector. You know, i am living in an area that was an important warzone in the war. When i was a child, we dug out ammo everywhere when we were playing. But now, i try to avoid it as good as can. ;)

hah got the bit i thought i should cut out :P just felt a little awkard but probably silly on my part.

Thanks for the info, it really is fascinating even small bits of writing about it, but I understand the reluctance, maybe not the best word, but i think you get it :D

lol yeah i know what you meant. ;)

Will show my pics here in the thread in the future. Its highly addictive so i guess there will be many of em...

I started converting some fiat money into a real store of wealth - gold, silver & platinum coins, I have the treasure bug pretty bad at the moment and would love to take a month or 2 to go prospecting and find some in the raw.

In the mean time here is something to aspire to collecting, I believe that it is a 2oz coin, however they also come as a 1kg proof coin, now that is some treasure.

Calendario850.jpg

• Like 2

perth mint has a 1 tonne gold coin with a face value of 1 million AUD. u get better value from bullion coins rather than collectable coins and PM does some pretty nice lunar coins in silver upto 1kg. not bad value last month either at like 950 a kg, havn't looked, but bet it's way over that with this weeks peak in metal prices. Love the pamp lunar dragons too. and maybe you'll see those sixpence as more than just sixpence when u know there made of stirling silver :wink:

Shiny treasure :-)

IMG_0615_zps9fa84df3.jpg

hehe, u are obviously in the same boat then :P

Spent the other day walking across fields and shit looking for treasure. Dug out at least 25 kilo of smaller diffrent objects, including remainings from the war, hooks, a completely damaged helmet that i left behind, hooks, barb wire, screws, a modern screwdriver, an old antique door lock from the 1800´s, a lot of unitentified chunks and clumps and one or two musket bullets. Am fucked beyond recognition so not sure if i will go again today. Cleaning the whole bucket of metal right now.

Edited by Evil Genius

Sorry to derail the thread before with all that talk of "not real treasure". I had been looking through some threads regarding hunting and it seems that a lot of people start off looking in sand lots at playgrounds for buried coins, I would definitely look at sandy play areas followed by the beach.

Yowie aka Marcia got me keen on prospecting, I think it would be a great way to spend a holiday. Unfortunately the only really valuable stuff to find in West Aus would be gold - not that that is a bad thing but I would like the possibility of finding some artifacts of archaeological significance like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebra_sky_disk over some nuggets.

Got lost in the woods today and found myself like 10 miles from home when i was getting back to the civilisation. And didnt even find one good item. One empty bullet and a chunck of metal. But fell on a very nice Amanita muscaria and made a good picture. At least something good...

Edited by Evil Genius

I've hunted quite a bit, had my best luck with natures treasures, my best find to date was a 52g nugget

close to 3k at todays prices, i sold it for 750....

post-1168-0-33038500-1350050970_thumb.jp

post-1168-0-33038500-1350050970_thumb.jpg

post-1168-0-33038500-1350050970_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

What are the measurements of the bullet case? that's if you kept it.