The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
reptyle

australian aboriginal homeopathic medicine

Has anyone ever heard of australian aboriginals using homeopathic or simlar methods to cure the ill?

do you mean homeopathic in terms of 'low dose' (ie no dose), or do you mean in terms of 'like cures like'? Keeping in mind that the 'like cures like' concept seems to have been forgotten about by most manufactureres of homeopathic medicines :rolleyes:

There are certainly many instances of using minute doses, but I don't think they ever made multiple dilutions. And certainly I have seen no example of the concept 'like cures like'.

quote:

the 'like cures like' concept seems to have been forgotten about by most manufactureres of homeopathic medicines

homeopathy companies also seem to have forgotten the 'dose-response' concept. last time i heard, drug response doesn't increase the more it's diluted.

i am interested in both low dose and like cures like. more in like cures like.

any examples of low dose remedies though would be good.

twix, it would appear that that is the case, but there is some fairly reasonable logic behind the assumptoin that infintesiml dillutions are infact more potent. im not completely convinced of the infintesimal dose part yet either so personally wouldnt try to stand for either side, but that doesnt mean something isnt going on.

i just wanna know if the 2500 year old concept of like cures like has been used other than in a (relatively) western context, and i was told that there was a refernce to australian aboriginals and homeopathy, havent been told where exactly yet but...time will tell i guess.

cheers.

there was a really good doco on tv a while ago about homeopathy.

was tested really rigourously.

basically showed it was bullshit.

but hey if knowing some other ancient culture used it helps your placebo effect then yeah they used it all the time and it cured pretty much everything with absolutely no side effects.

Well, I wouldn´t trust one measly TV to show you that a treatment used for centuries doesn´t work. :D

Try case studies where thousands of people are involved.

http://www.trusthomeopathy.org/case/res_ou...omesurveys.html

What amazes me about homeopathy is that there are thousands of homeopathic hospitals existing around the world...especially in India and Pakistan.

People in India and Pakistan can´t afford to screw around with their health... and Indians are one of the most pragmatic races on earth I would have thought!

I think this is something ´the skeptics´ really miss, whatever the case may be, people are regularly utilising these types of therapies and it is working for them - and it is very arrogant I believe to suddenly come in and propose a different explanation for how something is working or not working, unless one has actually trained in that field or spent a great deal of time studying it.

Acupuncture is typically put in the same boat with homeopathy by the skeptics (i.e. the disbelievers in life energy!), but again, acupuncture has been used in china for thousands of years with great effaciousness...if anyone has seen Bill Moyers doco, healing and the mind, they would have seen that dude on the operating table, having some part of his body cut open, no anaesthetic used, only acupuncture needles.

Julian.

but does anyone know about whether it or anything similar was used by australian aboriginals?

agree about the arrogance in denying hundreds of thousands of individuals testimonials. could they pssibly all be lying so that the homeopaths can make money of you, the skeptic. its a all a damn conspiracy damn it, the wholse "alternative" world is trying to trick you. make sure you keep your wits about u.

quote:

it is very arrogant I believe to suddenly come in and propose a different explanation for how something is working or not working

a culture uses ritual sacrifice in order to appease the gods and make the sun rise every day. for thousands of years the sun rises without fail. therefore these rituals are the cause? is it really arrogance to propose an alternative causal mechanism?

quote:

some part of his body cut open, no anaesthetic used, only acupuncture needles.

from what i've read, carefully positioned needles can stimulate release of beta-endorphin. acupuncture, if it works, might not need to appeal to a metaphysical life force, which may or may not exist.

this doco was fantastic - top scientists from england involved performing under the most controlled, unbias conditions possible.

the test was done on cell cultures so it wasnt up to people rating their healing etc.

was on abc in 2002 i think.

perhaps they should have put the cell cultures under a pyramid with some dolphin noises playing. :D

quote:

a culture uses ritual sacrifice in order to appease the gods and make the sun rise every day. for thousands of years the sun rises without fail. therefore these rituals are the cause? is it really arrogance to propose an alternative causal mechanism?

:D

Twix: have you read Terry Pratchett's novel "Pyramids" (from the discworld series)?

folias:

People in India and Pakistan can´t afford to screw around with their health... and Indians are one of the most pragmatic races on earth I would have thought!

Without a doubt. For example, the utility of the rat temple at Deshnok is blatantly obvious. Honor killings are generally very useful too. Also, the West is far behind the Indian subcontinent in the practice of allowing sewage and drinking water to mingle and flow from every household tap.

folias:

Acupuncture is typically put in the same boat with homeopathy by the skeptics (i.e. the disbelievers in life energy!)

Please tell us about LIFE ENERGY!

Acupuncture is generally accepted by western med. now coz theyve "proved" it. needles stimulate nerve ending which cause reactions in th nervous system. It was considered crap coz th chinese explained it by referin to rivers of chi flowin thru th body.

once it had been proved in western terms i dont think anyone said sorry to the old guy for laughin at his rivers of chi story.

Massage imho is th least appreciated form of therapy.

i've been dubious about homeopathy, i never understood how diluting something makes it stronger. but i was told that that is not what is happening.

what i have been told is that you are imprinting the pattern of the medicine into the water. the water is absorbed easier and gets into more parts of the body, thus the homepathic solution is considered stronger due to the fact that the body absorbs it better/more of it.

i dunno. im not an expert on how the body absorbs things. what do you gus think of that info?