The Corroboree
migraineur

Damping Off Fungus - Help Needed

Hi

Some of my cactus seedlings have damping off fungus. Can anyone recommend a solution that will not harm my trich and loph seedlings? I don't want to use something that works fine for one plant or species but will destroy another.

Also, would it be worthwhile transplanting some of the seedlings into some new sand that is not affected?

• Like 1

For the moment (until someone who knows exactly what to do can help), just keep them /fully ventilated/ and lots of light.

I would imagine something like a dilute H202 (peroxide) solution would be called for.

• Like 1

Really good timing migraineur - I've litterally just got home from Bunnings and have some Potassium Bicarbonate that I'm going to try on some cacti I grew last year that I'm sure will die if I don't do something.

I'm using Chamomile tea/Cinnamon - and it appears to work for new mixes, but can't kill whats already there it seems.

In my potting mixes

- I'm putting about a teaspoon of cinnamon per 2-3 kilos of media

- Watering with chamomile tea - 1 Tea bag per lite of water, and 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide.

I'm sure you could do this to any plants (except ones that have myc relationships) as much as you like and it's not going to hurt any of them. I put about 1 cup of cinnamon into a kilo of soil and sprouted some tomatos - they're happy as...

I'd be really interested to know if any of the drenching fungicides are safe for edible plants - as I'm still watching all my hard work for 12 months slowly dying... Has anyone use copper? Potassium Bicarb? Are there any super duper chemicals on the market? I've just read about Captan - anyone used that?

I think I'll go ask my nanna tomorrow, she's 96 and still going strong and grew and ate all her own veggies and stuff - she'll know!!!

Edited by IndianDreaming
  • Like 2

Hi Migraineur, those are the things i use against fungus:

- Lapacho Tea or Extract

- Nettle Extract

- Saprol (chemical warfare)

- Sulfur (very recommendable! Even organic commercial growers use it!)

- Lots of fresh air and purely mineralistic soil.

bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Usually I just add 10-20 cc of 3% hydrogen peroxide per liter of nutrient water with which the cactus seedlings are misted and watered (from the bottom). Hydrogen peroxide is typically packaged with chemical stabilizers so its not really an "organic" option. Read somewhere on the web that higher concentrations of H2O2 are fine... but haven't tried it with cactus seedlings yet.

The seedling growing media used has no organic matter, just 1:1:1 perlite, vermiculite, and coarse sand. After the seedlings are hardened off and can be left out in the open, they get sprinkled lightly with more coarse sand and coco coir derived potting soil.

I used yates copper oxychloride on some loph and trich seedlings afew days ago.

No negative effects noticed yet. Fingers crossed

some commercial nurseries use a product called " Previcure " .