The Corroboree

pay particular attention to stephen colbert, as good a demonstration of blind ignorance as you'll ever see.

That woman he is interviewing is extremely tolerant...

Thanks for a good watch quals.

Edited by space cadet 101
  • Like 1

last one, but wait:

http://www.mukti4u2....arya_Temple.htm

Inscription_500x142.jpg

The text of the inscriptions:

1. The mason of this pillar is Bihishti Zargar (artisan under Sandiman), year fifty and four. (inscription above)

2. Khwaja Rukun son of Murjan erected this pillar.

3. At this time Yuz Asaf proclaimed his prophethood. Year fifty and four (=78AD).

4. He is Jesus, prophet of the children of Israel.

edit: wasn't sure about this one at first but the archaeological artefacts at the end are quite thought provoking.

Edited by qualia

Thanks for a good watch quals.

totally. i thought he was joking at first he's so dense (he's meant to be "comedy", right?), but after reading around he's really like that. unbelievable.

this is a good article on the mosque in Srinagar that's said to house the tomb ov Jesus:

http://www.tombofjesus.com/index.php/en/editorial/71-news/latest-news/154-visiting-the-grave-of-jesus-in-srinagar-kashmir

n 1887 a Russian war correspondent, Nicolas Notovitch, visited India and Tibet. He left Srinagar, the capital of Kashmir to cross the Himalaya to the remote Ladakh region. His diary has descriptions of the dramatic landscape, the sturdiness of the local people and their friendliness.[6] Notovitch claimed that, at the lamasery or monastery of Hemis in Ladakh, he learned of the "Life of Saint Issa, Best of the Sons of Men." Isa is the Arabic name of Jesus in Islam. His story, with a translated text of the "Life of Saint Issa," was published in French in 1894 as La vie inconnue de Jesus Christ. It was subsequently translated into English, German, Spanish, and Italian.

In 1922, after initially doubting Notovitch, Swami Abhedananda, a disciple of Sri Ramakrishna, and a close acquaintance of Max Müller,[3] journeyed to Tibet, investigated his claim, was shown the manuscript by the lama and with his help translated part of the document, and later championed Notovich's views.[2] Having spoken at Max Müller's funeral, his opposing Müller's assertion that Notovitch's document was a forgery, was no small matter.[3]

A number of authors have taken these accounts and have expanded upon them in their own works. For example, in her book The Lost Years of Jesus: Documentary Evidence of Jesus's 17-Year Journey to the East, Elizabeth Clare Prophet cites Buddhist manuscripts that allegedly provide evidence that Jesus traveled to India, Nepal, Ladakh and Tibet.[3] However, she reprints objections and rebuttals of Life of Saint Issa, citing both sides of the controversy in detail.[3] She observes, "The fact that Douglas failed to see a copy of a manuscript was no more decisive proof that it did not exist than Notovitch's claim that it did." [3][Note 1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_years_of_Jesus

because she knows what you guys don't, stephen colbert does satire. he's a lot like john stewart except he ridicules his opponents by emulating them.

he's a bit of a champion frankly.

• Like 2

because she knows what you guys don't, stephen colbert does satire. he's a lot like john stewart except he ridicules his opponents by emulating them.

I can see the comedy with what he is doing. But I would imagine that behind the comedy, there is a truth on his behalf.

I can see the comedy with what he is doing. But I would imagine that behind the comedy, there is a truth on his behalf.

that means he's doing his act well.

he's totally ripping the shit out of cunts, that is all, watch his show for a while and see for yourself

• Like 1

i thought he was being serious :crux:

That was really interesting, thanks Qualia. I skipped through the interview with the American presenter though, it was ruining my peace of mind considerably.

I read through some of the Gnostic Gospels a few years ago, they are really interesting - it was then that I had my first glimpse of Jesus being a shaman, and that idea has not left me since. Some of those stories and teachings are truly esoteric; it adds a lot of weight to the understanding that Christianity has not got it right, and was bastardised to form a cult of control that has spread throughout the world. Many of Jesus teachings, when understood in the social / religious culture of the time, mean so much more than a simple sermon, no matter how fervently given. It is easy to see just how easy it would be for the priesthood to hide this information before the internet; we are lucky to have so much fantastic teachings at our fingertips, even though it takes a true teacher to pass the information on fully, we still have the chance to become so much wiser than before.

Namaste

• Like 1

not that any ov that counts for much because http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/

+1

any 'evidence' of jesus ever existing is nothing more they hearsay

If you had to prove that jesus existed in a court you would have no hope what so ever

Its very often just assumed by people that jesus existed (even many atheists believe this), but you dont often hear about talk about wether he existed at all. I believe this should be more of a hot topic of conversation amongst people personally... its a bit more important than what the latest goss is on *insert famous persons name here*

i can't find any sources off hand and i only just got up, but from what i can understand there's some corroborating evidence which points to jesus existing. of course the early christian church and the rcc adulterated the message and the early bible was more of a pep talk for christians as opposed to any book of higher knowledge. at least if your only evidence of jesus not existing is a lack of evidence (and i don't contend this is true), then your claims are equally as contentious. i often think that peoples problems with the christian church biases them when they look at any actual message which jesus might have been saying.

any 'evidence' of jesus ever existing is nothing more they hearsay

If you had to prove that jesus existed in a court you would have no hope what so ever

If all of histories video's & archival paperwork were destroyed tomorrow, in some sort of global catastrophe, then in 50yrs time proving that there was a real person called "Adolph Hitler" would be a near impossibility. Don't forget that most, nearly all of the ancient worlds knowledge & history disappeared with the burning of the library of Alexandria. It also didn't help that the catholic church took it upon itself to clean up so called heretical works of literature over the last 1500yrs. It was thought that Homer's "Illiad" was a work of fiction until Heinrich Schliemann decided to take the writing literally & re-discover the ancient city of Troy.

So what is history, if not only what we have been told by those who were here before us. Whether they choose to tell us the truth, or to falsify some alternative, is up to the individual telling the story.

And if we are going to talk about our current Law System...well that's just a joke. Enough highly paid lawyers will buy you the truth.

The truth is relative. As stated in the 1st video "it's all about your belief system".

Keep an open mind & anything is possible.

Even the possibility that there was a person called jesus, or should we say joshua...seeing as how we are talking in English & not Greek.

• Like 1

very interesting videos, I have watched them all thanks qualia :)

regarding Stephen Colbert

I think he is in character.

from the his Wikipedia page

"Colbert hosts the show in-character as a blustery right-wing pundit, generally considered to be an extension of his character on The Daily Show".

I really dont see how a lack of evidence makes my claim contensious... I couldnt call someone contensious because they say there is no evidence pointing towards a giant flying spagetti monster in the sky and i dont see why you could call me contensious because i claim theres no evidence of Jesus existing would be any different... Written claims made by uneducated superstisous people approx 1950 years ago, none of which were alive when jesus existed makes for a pretty damn shakey story. Not to mention the fact that the jesus story was basically a ripped of story itself, as there is hard evidence of very similar storys existing before jesus's time, this only serves to add even more doubt to jesus existence.

For the record, just because i am athiest doesnt mean i am not interested in reading about religion, infact i find the subject very interesting. I often research the stories of the bible and while some of them relate to real history any extordinary of the claims have no evidence to back them up.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and i have yet to see any of the extraordinary claims of the bible comming close to being backed up by anything that loosely resembles evidence.

Please lets not result to name calling, i am interested in any evidence you have to show that has passed through a strict scientific model and comes out unscathed on the other side. Sorry but i personally find blind faith dangerous and require evidence to back up my beleifs.

con·ten·tious/kənˈtenCHəs/

Adjective:

Causing or likely to cause an argument; controversial.

Involving heated argument.

hardly name calling.

It was thought that Homer's "Illiad" was a work of fiction until Heinrich Schliemann decided to take the writing literally & re-discover the ancient city of Troy.

actually as far as i am aware the scientific communities concencus is that there just happened to be a city there and that the timeframe is incorrect for the city to actually be troy.

Edited by BentoSpawn
  • Like 1

hardly name calling.

Your right i jumped the gun there a bit, my appologies :)

actually as far as i am aware the scientific communities concencus is that there just happened to be a city there and that the timeframe is incorrect for the city to actually be troy.

It all depends on which level, as there was city upon city upon city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and i have yet to see any of the extraordinary claims of the bible comming close to being backed up by anything that loosely resembles evidence.

just so where on the same page, are you arguing against the historicity of the deeds of jesus, or that there was a man named jesus of gallilee who existed at around 5BC - 30AD?

i dont see the importance either way.

if jesus existed, so what?

if jesus never existed, so what?

he was just a man (or an idea of one) who cares what he had to say. plenty of people believe in peace and all that jazz,,,

• Like 2

i dont see the importance either way.

if jesus existed, so what?

if jesus never existed, so what?

he was just a man (or an idea of one) who cares what he had to say. plenty of people believe in peace and all that jazz,,,

how many of those people came to those conclusions completely devoid of any influence from ancient spirituality?

• Like 1

SpaceCadet, Stephen Colbert is being satirical, and in no way does it suggest he really believes any of the stuff he is saying!

chnt, you really cannot see how the existence or non-existence of someone who was arguably the greatest single influence on Western society matters?

Elaine Pagels is cool. Check out books by Bart Ehrman and Karen Armstrong for more good stuff along similar lines.

Jesus probably existed, but most of the stuff in the gospels attributed to him was put in his mouth by writers decades or centuries after he lived. Check out The Jesus Seminar.

The idea that Jesus didn't really exist is not taken very seriously by the majority of mainstream liberal scholars, which is why there is not much contention.

I have misgivings about whether there was an actual historical Jesus, but until I know more I am willing to trust the scholarly consensus. Much like I have things I don't understand about evolution, but I trust the experts knowledge over my own ignorance.

For some great stuff on Jesus as myth, check out Robert Price, he is a fellow of the Jesus Seminar and even they consider his ideas pretty fringe! His books and ideas are somewhat rambling and incoherent, but this comes across really well in debates. There is a good debate with him and Gregory Boyd, and an even more fun one where he tears the shit out of this preacher who obviously didn't know what he was getting in for.