The Corroboree
Bigred

Tips for NOOBS

Cool, yea I'm trying it so I can give away mini grows to people after pinning, and they can watch the fruits form themselves. There is much interest in my grows rom just about every quarter, so I'll share the love. I didn't bother pasteurising properly, just poured boiling watter onto them. Keep us updated with pics if you can.

Cool, yea I'm trying it so I can give away mini grows to people after pinning, and they can watch the fruits form themselves. There is much interest in my grows rom just about every quarter, so I'll share the love. I didn't bother pasteurising properly, just poured boiling watter onto them. Keep us updated with pics if you can.

You'll probably get away with that with Pleurotus spp. could be a bit dicey with actives.

That stuff eats trich and shits it out as metabolites.

Cheers. I only grow edibles. In this case its still the Pleurotus that Ive been running for a while now. If it works, next time I'll try enriching the rolls with sawdust juice.

Edited by Psylo
  • Like 1

Tips for noobs in the Byron bay area, Darklight is doing a Mycology coarse imo worth every cent

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34815

Edited by bigred82

Plus this is for everyone to help offer advise so if you have any great tips please post

Hi aLl,

I am looking at buying the presto 23 quart pressure cooker. Seems to get good reviews.

My question; is this too big to use for cooking? I really want something dual purpose. I am a part of a family of 4.

Thanks

great size for mycology. if your looking to just cooking food with or without pressure it huge.

would be good for pressure cooking 2 or 3 old roosters for months of stock or meat.

great for pressure canning for a family.

hard to say if its to big for cooking. 20 litres of soup or stew is a lot, or you could just half fill it.

• Like 1

Yeah I read its big for cooking but it didnt state why... I kinda thougjt why not just use as much volume as requirwd. I never fill my oven for eg or if I put pasta for one in a massive pot it turns out the same.. just more washing up...??

I guess I thought therw must be more to it, hence me posting.

Sorry about spelling.. I have ttadie thumbs on a smart phone...

Tradie thumbs... d'oh!

efficiency wise, for a small meal, not good. there is a lot of metal to heat before the you get water to boil.

Thanks lindsay for the input.

I think I will get the presto but am considering the 15.5 quart all american pressure cooker also. However can only handle 10 pint jars where the preto does 20.. do many people do more than 10 jars at once??

do many people do more than 10 jars at once??

Only until they get sick of washing the bastards

• Like 2

A question from a n00b!

Has anybody used the "eco logs" at bunnings as an alternative to what they talk about on the shroomery as wood pellets? They eco logs say it's 100% compresses hardwood and are cheap as fuck so I am assuming they'll be good?

Or.. What's the best source of wood pellets?

bump this thread so if anyone has any cool teks please post

This was my secret weapon when I was growing mushrooms, back in the day...

I use to make my own air sanitisers out of agar and tea tree oil. I spotted a gel block deodoriser somewhere one time and watched it dehydrate over a few weeks and basically the gel just dispersed into the air.

I wondered if I could adapt that type of system to create a gel block that would disinfect the air and kill mould spores. I had agar powder and tea tree oil so I did a bit of experimenting. What I came up with worked really well.

The recipe I settled on in the end was so simple I still remember it.

10 grams agar agar powder

900 ml water

100 ml tea tree oil (Eureka brand) 200mg/gram concentration and soluble in water)

That's about double the quantity of agar that you need to set that volume of water but when adding to an oil it tends to need a bit more.

Procedure

Put 900 ml of cold water in a saucepan and add 10 grams of agar - let it sit for about 10 minutes

Place it on the stove and bring it to the boil stirring intermittently so it doesn't catch on the bottom or boil in a pyrex container in the microwave.

Remove from heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes you want the solution to cool to about 60 degrees celcius - I never timed it or measured the temp but you don't want it to cool below about 55 degrees

Add the tea tree oil solution and give it a quick stir - the tea tree oil lowers the temp of the solution to just above setting temp so work quick.

Pour into your chosen containers - more smaller ones are better than one big one. I used to use old taco sauce jars and fill them to about 200 ml capacity depending on the jar.

Let it cool to solidify.

You might want to do this under or near a range hood or in a well ventilated area as the aspirated oil can be a bit overwhelming until the gel cools.

It makes a litre of disinfectant gel and depending on the size of the containers you use each container should last at least 3-4 weeks after it's exposed to the air. If you use jars then you can screw the lid on and they will keep unrefrigerated for months until you need to use them.

I just found a commercial product which seems like it's almost the same thing - if you are in the US or Canada you could probably just buy them and use them. They are sold under the name- Safe T Air

I believe if the same system was used with Cedar Oil then it would make an excellent pest deterrent. It could also be adapted to make deodorisers using other essential oils and it won't need an oil burner or an ultrasonic device. My last car had a musty smell so I made one with tea tree and a few other oils to kill the smell and it worked great.

Some people are offended by the smell of tea tree oil but compared to toxic mould spores I'll put up with the tea tree smell any day. Even if it's just used in the room where you do your culture work it can greatly increase your success rates.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 2