The Corroboree
Snowfella

Another Bunnings find

Went to pick up some pavers after work today and just couldn't walk past this little guy, will go perfect in the outdoors bed I'm working on. A mere 15 or so cm's tall but perfect club shape and hardly any scars.

IMG_0170.jpg

Now I just have to figure out how to break him out of the glued together topdressing!

• Like 2

props to all lovers of scops!

• Like 3

Looks the same as the other "scopish" bunnings finds. I think the concensus was that they are scop x ?. I have one i got last year and they do start looking more and mroe scopish as they grow.

Could well be mate. Only thing I know of it's origin is that it's a Collectors Corner plant and they sell them on their Ebay directory as Trichocereus scopulicolis, never seen small ones for sale through Hamiltons although I do know they have one planted in their displaygarden and also have atleast one larger one for sale....it's been there for a year now though without any takers.

• Like 1

Dang, nice find!

You won't like to hear this but check the roots for rot.

Bunnings waters all their plants every single day, cacti included. Have you ever noticed how many rotting cacti there are at bunnings. They also use low quality, organic based potting mixes which go yucky and mushy after a couple of years, further contributing to their vunerability to rotting.

Its the plump/ perfect looking cacti like yours that could be secretly develping rot below the soil level.

Just a friendly tip anyway, it's the same for orchids and bromeliads too.

At least let it dry out for the next month or so, and re-pot in spring.

Cheers

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip mate.

Iv'e noticed the state of Bunnings cactii plenty of times already, seen lots of rotted plants there over the years. This one I think is a survivor though, to be honest I've been walking past it for months now and always wanted to bring it home with me. Finally caved in today and took it home.

Going to remove the topdressing tomorrow and then keep it dry untill I plant it out come spring.

The soil is somewhat suprisingly not Bunnings "fault", most plants there are already potted at Hamiltons where they come from and Hamilton's use a very organic based soil for their plants. Guess it works alright in their poly tunnels where the pots dry out again in notime but at Bunnings or wherever they just never dry out and the plants rot. Collectors corner seem to use a slightly better soil but instead glue to bloody topdressing together so it stays in the pot. Best big nursery soil for cactii that I've come across so far would be Flower Powers cactii, very nice gritty soil with almost no organics.

Bunnings have been offering 'peruvianus' lately. I picked up one that looks like a rosei, and others look a little bridge like.

And..the label nows says, 'not for consumption'. wtf !

Edited by mud

On a trip to Melb today I thought I'd pop into Bunnings and a large nursery that were both on the way. No go at Bunnings but at the other nursery a very healthy looking scop greeted me... complete with a Paradisia label - "Blue Torch - Myrtillocactus gemetrizans" :wacko: .

Took it up to the counter and the lady was almost overjoyed to see it--- related a story about how for many years a man had brought one of these in over and over again to have repotted for him, which he had had since he was a child. The man apparently had a lovely name for it which she couldn't recall. TBH I was in a hurry and preoccupied and am socially retarded in any case, so I keep it short, get my change and make for the car, and she calls out after me "... and I hope you have it a long, long time!" :o:rolleyes: . All I could do was stop in my tracks, turn around and say "oh, I'm sure I will - I'm sure I will" :lol: .

Made my day!

Edited by r2pi
  • Like 1