The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderIdeal

do the australian greens have a future?

i don't follow politics too keenly so i'm hoping for some discussion. the ALP doesn't want anything to do with them anymore, the greens weren't playing nice with their ally so friend has turned foe, and perhaps a good chunk of greens voters are going to abandon them.

such a shame, i hoped they would continue steadily winning voters year after year.

did they bring this on themselves? did the trouble begin before or after the big man retired?

I'd say plenty of people will vote neither labor nor coalition, and instead vote for minor parties and independents.

The greens are on the rise and the labor power-brokers are trying to mitigate the damage this will cause them.

I think Labor are being a bunch of crunts about this. They wouldn't have gotten into power without the Greens. At least the Greens stick with their policies and don't chop and change according to media-driven public "opinion." Libs feed the fear-hungry public via the media and Labor keep making some really fucking stupid decisions/policies. Why can't our government stop acting like damn children on the playground and use their positions to make the country a better place; not just pathetically fight over positions.

• Like 3

I have no doubt that the greens will actually increase their primary vote at the next election.

Labor has absolutely no clue. Deep down Gillard is personally quite left view-wise on many things but is playing the character of the moderate righty in a rather stupid attempt to try and gain votes from the 'Howard battlers' who have been offside since Howard basically usurped Hansonism and used latent xenophobia and self-interest (middle class welfare). Because she has failed so badly at selling any of her messages or policies and allowed the libs to harp on about the carbon tax, stopping the boats and JuLIAR, she can spend all the time she wants trying to attract votes from the mainstream centre/right, even though any observor with half a brain can see that this is already in vain.

But by constantly trying to distance themselves from the green and from left views to suggest they are moderate, slightly conservative govt that can be trusted by mainstread voters (who by in large are actually very self=serving and conservative) she is also undermining their voter base. Unionists, labor and lefties.

Whether you like Rudd or not, all the polls suggested he was the ALPs only chance and by not choosing him as a returning leader they have basically decided that they would prefer Abbott as prime minister over an ALP government. Which to any die hard ALP supporter should be an utter disgrace. No on within the ALP should want a liberal government ever and I believe they have effectively chosen one because Gillard has just not connected with the majority of Australians, has not sold any of her mesages or policies well and just seems to make constant errors of judgment in my opinion.

The more they marginalise the left, the more the ALP alienates itself from its left leaning supporters while having already marginalised mainstream and 'Howard Battlers' - therefore she is gawn, whereas the Greens can only continue to grow as more disenfranchised labor people move over.

• Like 1

If i was the leader of the greens Id just pull out of the govt. if Gillard wants to be a pain in the arse to paint herself as a considered conservative that can be trusted then id pull the pin. See how she goes in opposition.

She has basically ruined her political career by having no patience. Her government has been more disappointing than Rudd's ever was.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Half the coalition doesn't believe Abbott can win either. They may have a leader change before the next election.

I'm hoping they don't change because Abbott at the helms is the best thing for the greens.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Half the coalition doesn't believe Abbott can win either. They may have a leader change before the next election.

I'm hoping they don't change because Abbott at the helms is the best thing for the greens.

Not if Abbott wins control of the senate...

But Id prefer Malcolm any day. He has a brain for a start. Howardism has arleady done too much damage to the cultural fabric of this country.

• Like 2

bring back bob brown!

god I hope the greens have a future... if not we are all screwed. if environmentalism isn't a key part of our future, then what kind of future will it be? I like the way they keep their integrity while the other politicians behave like total c#*ts trying to one up each other. I hope they stick to their values as in the end that will win over the voting public.

• Like 1

I think people who like the greens already are aware why they like them, so the rhetoric the labor right is pushing will do little to change their minds. If anythign I think the fact labor is causing such a fuss gives the greens even more legitimacy and many people who ar epissed off with the major parties will look at other options. Labor will end up begging for green preferences as labor has more to lose out of the deal. I am really quite amazed at how much damage labor has recently done to itself and continues to do so. If the utlimate result wasn't a benefit for Abbott I wouldn't care.

The funny thing is that despite labor's claim that they are extremists, on most current issues the greens are actually more in line with popular opinion than the labor party is. eg gay marriage, labour rights, war in afghanistan, health & education. So of the top 5 main political issues of the last few years and near future the greens are only 'out of touch' one on issues [the carbon tax], while labor is out of touch on [or at least too gutless] on all of them.

• Like 1