The Corroboree
Halcyon Daze

News Limited won't be regulated without a fight

I say regulate the bastards like never before!

The media is what took us into Iraq and feeds us daily misinformation from the highest bidder, -usually those with a 'make money at any cost' agenda.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/news-to-fight-media-regulation/story-e6frg996-1226425441232

just do what i do

dont consume their media

he won't go to the high court. why? labor is a bunch of snivelling spineless fucks. coalition is....well,

so he wont go to the high court, cos he wont need to.

just do what i do

dont consume their media

burying your head in the sand isn't going to work. news influences the people who pay the police to enforce the laws they make. closing your eyes and pretending it isn't there isn't going to make it better.

if no one is buying their product,

they wont have anything to sell

and besides how does me selectively choosing which media i consume equal "closing my eyes, pretending its not there, burying my head in the sand"

wtf?

Edited by NegativeDave

Yeah I bury my head in the sand on a daily basis, by using alternative media sources to get my information and spread it around the people I know. I refuse to even look at the rubbish plied by massive corporations like News Limited - it only serves to pollute the mind and make you feel angry and disillusioned. If I could factor all the major corporations out of my life, I would. Because it hits them where it hurts - their only relevance is making more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Fuck them and their money making obsession, it's killing civilisation and it's killing the planet and I refuse to have any part of it.

• Like 3

thats the spirit

Edited by NegativeDave

It's a bit like the "well I'm not out there spreading AIDS personally, so why should I care? - I've done my part."

hang on i think people need to read over the above posts...

the point i was making isn't what media you consume, thats your choice. the point is news ltd. still has big influence over policy makers and the public at large. ignoring them wont make them stop doing what they're doing, which is printing misinformation, propaganda an often time straight out lies. it's not just news either, the shock jock radio also, if not influencing opinion, can encourage the worst elements of society and basically get away scott free (the recent judgement of acma v alan jones as an example). i'll cite another example, the case of andrew bolt vs the anita heiss etc. after that case, and the predictable tirades from the shock journos, tony abbott signalled watering down the racial discrimination laws. it's influence like this, where a journo can print openly racist diatribe and influence politicians to change laws to allow him to continue with impunity which i think simply saying "i don't read it so why bother" is just burying your head in the sand about what the media in australia is and does. but don't ask me what to do about it because i don't know.

has anyone been following the leveson inquiry in the UK? i think thats a prime example of the kind of relationship the media has with politicians.

I have a little, I wonder when the shit will hit the fan and 2 prime ministers will go down lol. MORE POPCORN!

Did anyone catch the Andrew Bolt show on Gina Reinhart's new TV channel. The first thing he did was deny climate change with a dodgy graph.

All courtesy of one of our richest and biggest polluters, Gina Reinhart.

What a crock our media is these days. Nothing but pure propaganda, which is just how Hitler deceived a nation.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

The right wing media has a hell of a lot more money and power than the left.

I wouldn't say that ABC of SBS are particularly biased to the left either, even though they should be, to balance out the other propaganda stations.

The fact that many people on this apparently alternative forum link to News Limited articles demonstrates the degree to which their bias is accepted in the community.

• Like 1

I recon the ABC & SBS are drifting to the right, being dragged along with the general trend of society as a whole they just haven't been moving as fast as the private sector media. Where will it end before the pendulum swings back? Anyone seen kyle??

The problem with regulating newslimited is that the regulation wont stop with them, it would inevitability filter through to even the smallest providers ensuring a nice homogenous news environment.

As a clever dude i know says uniformity is awesomeness

edit spelling

Edited by shortly

Its just all posturing & hot air, with the death of the weekend classifies i cant see newslimited surviving more than a few more years at best, they dont seem keen to abandon their print divisions which are a relic of a bygone era and are dragging them ever faster towards bankruptcy.

Over the next decade or so we will probably end up with 2 or three big online news services that probably wont be based here & wont have to comply with an aussie regulator anyway.

Abbott will be elected and the propaganda machines will go on imbedding themselves in the political climate.