The Corroboree

Mandrake preparation

they advise dobbing it on your third eye as an aid to meditation.

I thought it was meant to cast a spell to attract women or something.

I made oils of many plants too, especially fragrant ones. The alkaloids from mandrake (in their freebase form in the plant and therefore lipid-soluble) should also get into the oil, but it would take a long time with the whole root in it. Maybe grinding the root for making the oil with f.e. olive oil would be more effective.

Maybe grinding the root for making the oil with f.e. olive oil would be more effective.

yeah that's what I thought - drying and grinding for maximum surface of contact

needless to say the resulting liquid could be pretty dangerous to use.

absolutely, its from the nightshade family, so greatest respect and care whenever using it... better only small doses (testing from very small up to small...)

a little off topic, but the latest in this thread reminds me of a time a i was visiting 2 former aquaintances at their home, and one walked in the door with a variety of bottles he had recieved from a friend of his whos dad was an extremely old pharmacist or collector of old pharmaceuticals or something, but one of these bottles was a tincture of belladonna, i'll never forget the smell of the stuff. weird, crude resin had fallen out of suspension over the years, so the bottle consisted of high proof alcohol and some gunk. one of said aquaintances decided he would taste a droplet of the liquid, knowing belladonna to be dangerous but thinking 1 droplet would be minimal. about 30 seconds after he dropped it onto his tongue his pupils were maximum-dilated and he could no longer salivate properly (if at all) and had trouble eating, spent 2 days in his bedroom confused and mildy delerious, physicaly ill from not being able to take his oxycontin (hit by car > gamme knees > opiate addiction). tropane tinctures are wild, if you are to make one for use (which i would not recomend), i would suggest pretty extreme dilution.

dio

A friend of mine has devoted a concept album the mandragora. Atzmann Zoubar- Aut Sperma In Terram Effundit.

This work is a concept album exclusively focusing on the mandrake (Mandragora spp.), probably the most well-known magical plant. The album, which was produced between 2006 and 2011, provides a mixture of ritual industrial and a quirky nature mysticism. Dark sound collages meet original texts about the mandrake. The slowly evolving tracks grow like roots into the mind, finally pervading the listener completely.

Here's an excerpt.

A request can someone explain to me how I can embed videos directly into the forum?

Edited by pan
  • Like 1

Very interesting:

http://www.herbmuseum.ca/Exhibits

There you see the Cathartic granules: http://www.herbmuseum.ca/node/1409 which contain Podophyllin from mandrake.

and many other very strange apothecary bottles.

• Like 1

one plant has new growth in the beginning of winter:

icstms.jpg

• Like 2

Nice!!! Outdoor or in the Flat? Soon it's too cold outside.

My Mandragoras keep hibernating already.

Edited by pan

hey keep it up!!

cheers for the photo mindperformer

I hope to have a couple specimens in 20-25 days from now...

outdoor but in a save position on the recessed balcony near the door,

my two other mandrakes are hibernating too

Edited by mindperformer

''dragon doll'' fuk its a bad ass plant wouldnt go near it! its 1 of the strongest solanceous of them all!! too much of this shit can fuk u up 4 a long time ! TROPANE ALKALOIDS ARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think there are "bad" plants, its only the perspective from the inquisition, which remained in the western societies, after all its not the strongest, belladonna is much stronger

Years ago I've made a very intense 3-day- trip with belladonna and had multiple-stage-lucid dreams and talked to people who were physically not in the room... I was young and careless, but its definitely only for the very experienced shamans, not for us psychonauts

I would call the entheogenic Solanaceae not hallucinogenic but deliriant or veramimetic (my word for it, from vera, the trueness) because you can't distinguish the visions from the classical "reality", you think its true what you see...

didnt say bad ''badass'' i like this plant! 1 of the strongest ! and yes donna its stronger

sry, then I misunderstood you, of course its a strong plant

.....in 10 days from now I will have fulfilled my mandrake dream, by visiting them in habitat [and collecting some live plants] from a habitat in which the plant is pretty common.... I hope I return with nice photographs also... Also, I will be visiting a greek island in mid november, and got a very good friend there, so it will be pretty cool.

I must have said this at least 3-4 times, so you probably guess I am looking forward to it!

PS: Any tips on uprroting plants / digging them up and so? I know that the person doing this is supposed to die. Anything more practical, f.e. so as not to damage the tap root a lot??

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

mutant: see the picture in post 67! you have to get a dog to pull it out. i look forward to seeing the results. poor dog. maybe you should use a cat instead :P

mutant: see the picture in post 67! you have to get a dog to pull it out. i look forward to seeing the results. poor dog. maybe you should use a cat instead :P

do it 2012 style and get baxter the remote control dog to pull it out for you..

http://nerdapproved.com/toys/remote-controlled-ball-catching-baxter-the-dog/

hehe ;-) great idea

mission accomplished.

its near impossible to uproot the whole root. dont believe the hype. moreover, I am alive, but that's because I approached the whole thing with care and appreciation, not greed.

awesome plant (Mandragora automnalis)

this was the only one budding and therefore one of the biggest ones. its quite early on now

habitat photos will follow

P1080888.jpg

free photo hosting

lots of variety , if you see a lot of plants. this one has not very reddish leaf veins, like most of them

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

wow- gorgeous! it already started flowering.

on which island?

Yeah I was amazed to see it after seeing over 200 specimens in veg growth.

Mandragora automnalis AKA automn mandrake is common throuout many other greek islands, reportedly also from mainland. The expedition took place in Amorgos, Kyklades.

It was found in uncultivated land, near ruins, stony spots, stony tracks, at the side of roads, olive groves, you name it. No wonder it thrives in the conditions of many southern greek islands.

I could not ignore the fact that it seemed particularly common in archeological spots or old stone tracks , that is spots that were inhabited from old times.

P1080818.jpg

photo uploader

P1080798.jpg

image sharing

P1080791.jpg

photo hosting sites

P1080802.jpg

image ru

• Like 3

It was found in uncultivated land, near ruins, stony spots, stony tracks, at the side of roads, olive groves, you name it. No wonder it thrives in the conditions of many southern greek islands.

I could not ignore the fact that it seemed particularly common in archeological spots or old stone tracks , that is spots that were inhabited from old times.

wau, this must be an incredible setting for a plant expedition, i can't think of anything more exciting than, discovering rare plants, at an old archeological site. "just spotted a mandrake, growing out the gutter, of a roman road".

heh, yeah it was very exciting.

For what is worth, Amorgos has a long and rich history, as told by the variety of ruins from several eras. Some of these sites reveal the island was inhabited since quite old times - f.e. some of the archeological sites are pre-historic.

MP and Mutant -- great pics! I don't have a digital camera around here but my turkmen mandrake survived transplanting.

They seem pretty tough once they're a few years old and have a substantial root.

When do they normally flower?