The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Goldtop

Garden Sub patch in QLD

Hey guys, ive been reading and looking through all the subaeruginosa threads and pictures. Im wondering if anyone in qld has had any luck coming across an outdoor patch for subs? Had a read through shroomery threads but still havent found any exact info on this species growing in queensland. Any info would help us out, let me know guys :)

im not from the east but im pretty sure you dont get subs in queensland

i may be wrong they are in nsw but i dont think you get them as far north as queensland

Edited by myco

they wont grow in queensland. well out of their climate range, even northern nsw is, but occassional reports do occur there.

subs needs lots of cold to induce fruiting.

as a contrast cubensis do not grow in victoria or tasmania.

cheers, Ob

• Like 1

Some parts of QLD certainly get cold enough, some parts of the Darling downs get cold enough to freeze a bucket of water overnight in winter.

It tends to get very dry in summer though so maybe with some effort to keep it moist enough it could be successful.

Im still interested in trying it out, the hearts here. If no success one could always fruit in a cold environment, eg fridge or what have you lol. Im assuming warmer temps would do it good for colonisation so qlds spring/summer would do great. And if the winter doesnt get quite cold enough, could always create an artificial surrounding thats needed.

Edited by Goldtop

Where abouts or what climate in QLD?, it is a pretty big state. If your trying in cairns I say forget about it

I have heard rumours of the border ranges...

I reckon stanthorpe area would be a goer anywhere were you still get a decent frost...

Look into other species ovoid's might extend the range some subaeruginascens might push it a little further, the possibiities...

Good luck with it

• Like 1

Im at the gold coast shrum, so im doubting it will get quite cold enough. Im thinking inland towards tamborine way but still its unusual for it to drop below 0 here

It doesn't have to get down to 0 for subs to fruit, I used to be a regular at the shroomery and they always said something to this effect

When the daytime temps stay below about 18 degrees and the nighttime temps start getting below about 7 or 8 they will start to fruit..

That's not a direct quote mind you, it's an approximation based on a very old memory.

Obviously they will perform better at colder temps but that was always said to be a good starting point.

• Like 1

Im not so sure daytime temps are that important, as long as its moist, having said that, i have noticed direct sunlight is an issue. i know a few patches where as soon as the sun dips low enough in the sky for an area to be in mostly constant shade they start fruiting, probably as a result of decreased evaporation and no damaging radiation.

I've read 6 or 7 degrees too, but in my experience it has to be a few nights of below 4 or 5 to be able initiate pin formation, and consistent heavy dew or movement though the water table, for the humidity levels needed for the pins to develop.

Cheers, Ob.

@ Goldtop
I live up in the mountains & its getting cold! Last winter up here I recorded -3deg & some days it only got to 13deg.
Its cold & damp here & i find heaps of different mushrooms.
If there are any goldcoast members that know how to positively ID shooms, I am more than happy to meet up & go for a walk.(LET ME KNOW)
Cheers jox

Edited by Jox

Jox mate...might be time for a face to face catch up

At mine im proposing.... i got a mad shaded area, that already grows all kinds of random mycilium, but im only just considering getting into it.

EDIT: lol you too Goldtop if your a local. Im at the base of Beechmont (sought of)

Edited by 2Deep2Handle
  • Like 1

Sounds like a good idea 2deep, keep us informed.

Hope you went well with your exams last week man & your loph experiment sounds pretty cool.

Take it easy mate, don't work to hard. :wink:

Cheers

jox

Back in march 08 I found a single sub in my garden. I remember it being 38c that day, really spun me out. So yes, I would say its quite possible with the right conditions.

nice shroomup......makes me more inclined to try in our tropical environment during winter then

Goldtops, blue meanies?

Probably a silly question but what group of mushrooms do these fall under, are they subs?

Goldtops are cubes jox, and meanies are pan cyanescens. Ive never come across a meanie that ive been positively able to identify. They are said to be found in the same areas and same conditions as cubensis. Although my id skills are pretty shabby :blush: ill find one, one day

Edited by Goldtop
  • Like 1

Back in march 08 I found a single sub in my garden. I remember it being 38c that day, really spun me out. So yes, I would say its quite possible with the right conditions.

Im not an expert but Im almost positive i found a couple of subs mid summer on the sunshine coast. I wasn't sure of the id but they were psilocybe so i took them home for id and they looked like subs

my missus has found dung lovers in nimbin in winter, i don't know much about other species but i would assume they would be cubes someone might correct me on that tho

So i would be surprised if you couldn't get at least few to grow if you put some time in finding a nice spot and making a pack