The Corroboree
whitewind

Who Do You Work For?

Who Do You Work For? (multiple choice)  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mmm I got a bit curious this morning, as I realised I was a bit secretive about what I actually do.

I thought it would be interesting to see the demographics of people here, I have this idea that we are a very mixed bag but predominantly in Arts / Entertainment and Science / Education but was curious to see if there were any outliers. I chucked in Police / Security services out of curiosity; I don't expect anyone to admit being a copper but who knows?

Multiple choices are allowed, I work in both education and horticulture, for example.

EDIT: poor attempts at humour deleted owing to inflammatory nature. Apologies to all concerned.

Edited by whitewind

I work for one of the big two designing and systemising menus and food handling skills programs to eventually put my self out of a job.

^^Don't you just hate that? You'll have to find something else related to that, so you can segway across.

I became so efficient at managing my job once I lost it. Never again, there is always room to piss about doing stuff that you would prefer to do. Most managers are so dumb they don't really realise when you aren't being efficient, and they like to have people to boss around. My current boss keeps wasting my time by telling me to do stuff that is really pointless, but I'm trying hard just to roll with it and keep him happy as otherwise I will show him up (already done that, unfortunately, but I had no choice to keep my job), but then he gets cranky when I don't do the paperwork. He does fuck all apart from intruding in to my workspace, I guess that's what he thinks is managing.

• Like 1

harbor ship traffic coordinator.

Edit: Contribution to this discussion removed.

Edited by Alice

Whitewind the dumbing down is here in many industries I try to just shut off and do, but its a dullards gig these days. I ran my own Cafe for 5 years and now I set up and systemise do a bit of training but the passions gone from my industry. The people coming through look at it like factory work and the managers aren't there to manage they have checklist for that.

Home maker / slave . (which is the hardest job in the world)

:)

• Like 7

someone else

Edited by waterboy

Psylo is a terrorist cell leader

That's quite an insulting assumption, undoubtedly drawn from your avid attention to mainstream media.

I would vote Corporate Entity > Financial Services. I am a warlock with the big numbers.

Fulltime-HR manager, export supervisor. A grain export enterprise.

Partime- various hustling and occasionally successful money making schemes.

Casual- cacti trader, hillbillys pimp when I can find a sucker.

I'm starting a small business course with tafe shortly, I would like to start at the bottom level of business and get an understanding, then I want to find a way to make my money work for me a d my family, so when i die I have more to leave my kid than a hundred 70 odd yr old peyotes ;)

I honestly can say I like my job. We have a good crew, work our rings out whilst we have a great laugh, I get out of my office as much as i can and mix it up with the boys on the end of a shovel or a broom. I like hard work, and really thank my old man now for Instilling that.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 2

I work in both education

Dear Lord. Only God himself can save the future generations.

Simpsons_Helen_Lovejoy_Think_Of_The_Children-1.jpg

• Like 1

first year horticulture apprentice

• Like 1

Home maker / slave . (which is the hardest job in the world)

:)

I fully agree - I look after my little girl at the weekends when the misses is out earning a crust, and it's full-on. She's well behaved but very curious, and most days I'm pretty exhausted. I don't think I could look after more than one. The other day I was counting the multitude of tasks required for being a parent; health and safety officer, guide, teacher, carer, role-model, fashion advisor, playmate, story-teller, dietician, chef, doctor, protector, everything. And it's all non-stop, every day all day, and sometimes overnight when she's sick.

However, I think you missed out something - it's also the most rewarding job of all.

it';s interesting you say "slave" - the fact that we don't get paid directly for this indicates to me that there is something intrinsically wrong with the economy and the way we run it. It's based on old-fashioned ideas of a married couple being the "norm" with breadwinner and a home-maker, whereas in reality this just isn't the case any more. Capitalism doesn't see the home-maker as a useful "productive" job in any way, and so something essential to our society (and the economy!) is unpaid.

The amount of money kids cost is astonishing too..

• Like 2

Housewives get paid in room & board by the person who bothers going out and earning actual money.

Fucked if taxpayers should be compensating a strangers desire to procreate and live with all the attached burden. Your womb, your sperm, your responsibility.

• Like 2

geez psylo.big call.

I think being a stay at home parent is a very important one. those that do it well and hold things together, i take my hat off to you.

To many youngens are being brought up in abc centres, largely a result of an economy that requires both parents to work, if there is to be regular food on the table, school fees paid, doctors bills, some form of financial security.

I know some stay at home parents who feel guilt for not contributing financially, as well as well, being a fulltime parent.

I think if housing prices in aus where dramatically reduced, familys could afford to spend more time rearing their kids.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 7

Whitewind the dumbing down is here in many industries I try to just shut off and do, but its a dullards gig these days. I ran my own Cafe for 5 years and now I set up and systemise do a bit of training but the passions gone from my industry. The people coming through look at it like factory work and the managers aren't there to manage they have checklist for that.

Weird I feel the passion has gone from horticulture too, I think it's gone away from the love of plants towards making money through hard landscaping. Most of the apprentices who come through me aren't really interested in plants at all, I had one who was passionate about orchids and he was a fucking delight to work with, but so far he's one of a kind. Most of them would rather drive a machine all day.

• Like 2

Psylo setting fires all over the place, must be a quiet weekend in.

• Like 3

Housewives get paid in room & board by the person who bothers going out and earning actual money.

Fucked if taxpayers should be compensating a strangers desire to procreate and live with all the attached burden. Your womb, your sperm, your responsibility.

You really are a troll aren't you? Okay, so you think someone who's job is this:

health and safety officer, guide, teacher, carer, role-model, fashion advisor, playmate, story-teller, dietician, chef, doctor, protector

Caring for the next generation

Should earn nothing, but someone who can count exceptionally well deserves a living wage?

• Like 1

Believe it or not photographer :)

Mainly landscape photography

I wish I could show you guys some of my best pics

but unfortunately I sell them and they are mostly signed and

It may lead to me my personal life and my name haha so no you can't see any sorry

• Like 1

Process operator ( Gold )

You really are a troll aren't you? Okay, so you think someone who's job is this:

health and safety officer, guide, teacher, carer, role-model, fashion advisor, playmate, story-teller, dietician, chef, doctor, protector

Caring for the next generation

Should earn nothing, but someone who can count exceptionally well deserves a living wage?

I don't agree with your fabulous (albeit selfish, as a parent) notion that all of society should compensate the desires of others. People who willfully have children and add to the bloated world population when there are millions of war orphans already born should NOT be compensated by taxpayer money. I'm getting sick of your type demanding public handouts at every turn because it suits your own personal circumstances to squeeze out unnecessary children. Go and adopt a parentless child from a developing country, and I'll give you money out of my own pocket. But don't expect me to be happy about funding your destruction of humanity through procreation.

• Like 3

i dunno if im wrong psyllo, correct me if i am, but nothing was mentioned regarding asking for taxpayers money?