The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

asexuall lophophoria probagation

post-70-0-75894800-1335150423_thumb.jpghi!

for various reasons, i have started now to, let (once grafted) lophophoria buttons form again there own roots.

this thread, is for the people who want to clone a spesific lophophoria, or have to save a graft scion, if the stock has failed, or the re graft has not taken.

most people, and me included frown a bit upon lophs with own roots, but who were once a "graft".

now this makes sence, because the root of a loph, is a special and lovly feature.

in short, if you re root a loph, and you might wanna sell it, than you have to state, that it once was a graft and only has it's own roots since bla, bla.

anyway, i had some old peres loph grafts, were the peres had died, so i cut out all the not so good looking tissue, and remove all leftovers from the peres inside loph.

than after 2 week callusing, i plant them into small pots and most of them struck good roots.

i would have probably lost a few of my specimens, as regrafting the old korky, large buttons did not work well for me.

i have aswell, placed all my failed loph pedro specimens, back onto there own roots, and the growth rate is fantastic!

let's say. you grafted a ~25mm button onto some pedro, and the graft doesn't take, and the loph all shrivels up and get's a leathery / kork surface.

well, i was surprised to find that many buttons although they were in a bad shape, re gained virgor soon after, just striking them.

i mean many of those buttons looked so poor, im sure they would not have able to be saved by any other means.

etiolation, will make the loph and it's pups grow in a more columnary fashion, and this will facilitate asexuall probagation.

in short, asexuall probagation works well with lophs. i was surprised how fast some of thos buttons grew, 1st time on there own roots.

if you have a special loph and you wanna clone it, remove the pups and graft them onto some small pedro.

if this graft fails, re root the pup into good potting mix.

lophreduced.JPG

lophreduced.JPG

Edited by planthelper

yeah i had a similar experience with the first couple of lophs i tried to graft to pedros, i cut the stock too far down so the vascular ring was too thick and they failed. (tried a couple more since then using the tip and have had good success).

i was only sure they had failed once i saw a couple of tiny roots come out the bottom while they were still on top of the stock so i pulled them off and tried to root them alone.

and now those two are about the same size (almost) as there siblings who were never cut, and still have the root stock which has put out a couple pups.

so yeah seems that if a graft fails its probably better to just treat it as a cutting rather than try to regraft.

lol you made a hat trick of misspelling in your title.

• Like 1

hahaa I didn't even notice and I had been in this thread twice!

Having been down this road many times myself, just be advised choice of potting soils & watering is much more critical in terms of preventing rot from setting in.

It is quite easy to re-root a de-grafted head or one that broke away from the main plant, and at the same time much more difficult to grow to full maturity due to over watering issues.