The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Witchburning timeline

very interesting summary of the witch burning times. Quite a few myths dispelled and lots of follow up research presented. The rest of the site is interesting too. While it's intention is far from it, this site really shows just how religion is holding us back as a race.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_burn2.htm

great link dude, thnx. :D

quote:

Prior to the 9th century CE: ,,, The Catholic church at the time officially taught that such Witches did not exist. It was a heresy to say that they were real.

--that seems weird considering there are so many old testament strictures against withcraft, socery, necromancy, divination, reading omens etc. "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"

King Saul goes to visit the Witch ov Endor, who summons up the prophet Samuel from the dead to answer Sauls questions.

funny the catholics would deny what's written in their own bible.

[ 01. September 2005, 01:05: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

religions have degraded to the degree that misinterpretations of texts often lead to a "if you don't understand it-kill it" mindset.

how can worship of nature be unnatural?

quote:

how can worship of nature be unnatural?

only if the subject be mechanised

[ 06. September 2005, 16:28: Message edited by: mescalito ]

here

andhere

expand further and closer to our time.

Witchcraft aint dead yet.

It's just not socially acceptable to burn people in public(or is it??)

"religions have degraded to the degree that misinterpretations of texts often lead to a "if you don't understand it-kill it" mindset." & "only if the subject be mechanised"

That's a fair cop me old guv' - well said.

It is the effect of institutionalisation - it doesn't have to be religion. Only what other establishment has authority to judge matters of the 'soul'? These days it is our culture/beaurocracy that seems to do the job instead. Aren't there are still witches and witch hunts going on. Wonder if anyone can come up with some of them.

[ 14. September 2005, 11:01: Message edited by: bsm2wr ]

Yeah, neat. Strange I didn't see any refference to the possible role ergot may have played in this timeline.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, the wicca/witchcraft 'religion' is a reletively new construct right? Where as alot of these people persecuted as witches were midwives exc.

Anybody know the origin of the witches broom? Beats me if this is correct, but I read one in an old herbal book that they would mix up a big pot of wild lettuce, throw in some ash and the fat of an unbaptised baby. Rub it all over their body and in every orifice (with the aid of a broom handle) and thus astrally project themselves to witches gatherings.

Yeah, neat. Strange I didn't see any refference to the possible role ergot may have played in this timeline.

My partner recently told me of an article published about the ‘witch trials’ in Salem that suggests the hysteria, convulsions & gibberish witnessed in some townspeople was not demonism (well, de’rrrr) but actually a result of hallucinogenic experiences.

This article went on to describe a common ‘infection’ of the grains used to make bread at the time – which I can only assume to be ergot growth on rye. Now, I haven’t read this article, nor could my partner elucidate on the particulars (not being the ‘head’ that I am) but it sounds reasonable. I heard many years ago that ergot ‘infection’ may have been the psychological inspiration for Heironymous Bosch’s tripped out artwork (the first true ‘visionary artist’ maybe?). Although there was a 200 year time lapse between him and the Salem inquisitions.

Maybe this theory should be floated on the mycology forum.

Good site, that religious tolerance. Well worth perusing if anyone is interested in variant faith.. I say that in a most biased fashion, as I am (slowly & laboriously) building a website that exposes modern mind-control via godly medium. Anyone want to contribute ? Subject matter so far is this:

Aum Shinrikyo

The Solar Temple

The MRTCG

Jim Jones

Osho / Orange People

Maharishi Mahesh & TM

Sathya Sai Baba

Ananda Marg

Panawave Laboratory

Raelian Movement

Heaven's Gate

Church of Scientology

Little Pebble

The Moonies, Unification Church

Family of God

Redeemer Baptists

Garbage Eaters

Solar Temple

Kenja

Native American Church (I can hear your cheers on this one)

Deepak Chopra

The Cult of Amway

Also the new age gods of:

NLP

Reiki

Psychoneuroimmunology

EFT Tapping….and so much more

So if you think you’de like to research on any of these movements, and can string some words together, I am open to collaboration. I can offer you $0.00 per article, whilst maintaining strict editorial control, and can guarantee that the end product will generate many, many $0.0000000 (big bucks if you follow the noughts !)

Promising career move, isn’t it ? If enough people are interested in helping me develop this site, I’ll post the splash page (already done!) for you to look at.

link.jones.jpg

Beats me if this is correct, but I read one in an old herbal book that they would mix up a big pot of wild lettuce, throw in some ash and the fat of an unbaptised baby. Rub it all over their body and in every orifice (with the aid of a broom handle) and thus astrally project themselves to witches gatherings.

The consensus I am aware of is rather that a tropanic extract was applied liberally with the broomstick, but what you say interests me very much.

Can you quote the exact lines from the herbal book so I can put it on the wiki?

Herb + ash sounds like a common technique from all over the world (Pituri, Yopo, etc) and I'm guessing the fat aids in absorption through the skin.

No, sorry lost that particular book some time ago. Not sure how credible a source it was to begin with really. I remember the passage fascinated me enough at age 15 though that I ran out and procured a large sack of the stuff though. :) ........ never could find an unbaptized volunteer.

It is not religion that "is holding us back as a race," it is rather the prevalent means of interpreting lifes mysteries that has. Religion, particularly Christianity, and now most of those that arose after it, interprete story as literal historical fact, this instead of seeing the story as a means of expressing human insights and longings in a symbolic and allegorical manner. I could go on, but would simply recommend Alvin Boyd Kuhn's "The Lost Light," or his "Who is this King of Glory," both of which can be found online. Kuhn, like many both before and after him, prove without doubt that Jesus is the perennial mythical figure of even previous times who has been historicized and who life and doings were literalized in the 2nd and 3rd centuries and has been severly misunderstood ever since, with witchburnings being one of the many negative effects of the improper interpretation of the message of Christianity, a message that didn't originate with a Jesus, but which is clearly "pre-Christian" and "pagan" in its origins.

~Michael~

No, sorry lost that particular book some time ago. Not sure how credible a source it was to begin with really. I remember the passage fascinated me enough at age 15 though that I ran out and procured a large sack of the stuff though. :) ........ never could find an unbaptized volunteer.

Might be able to reduce herb + ash stew down to a resin in this case, which would probably be smokable.

No need for unbaptized baby murder ;)