The Corroboree
RyanVolle

Plant Help - Red ants again

I am VERY irritated about the red ants in my garden. I've tried many things and they don't even seem to work. even if they did, they still somehow kill or damage my plants. Please, PLEASE, I need help in any I mean ANY way at all. ere's a photo of a plant that was bitten by ants.

post-10238-0-89128100-1333606849_thumb.j post-10238-0-94005700-1333606864_thumb.j post-10238-0-11593800-1333606879_thumb.j

post-10238-0-89128100-1333606849_thumb.jpg

post-10238-0-94005700-1333606864_thumb.jpg

post-10238-0-11593800-1333606879_thumb.jpg

post-10238-0-89128100-1333606849_thumb.jpg

post-10238-0-94005700-1333606864_thumb.jpg

post-10238-0-11593800-1333606879_thumb.jpg

Those little brown shiny lumps on the stems look like a type of scale insect. They suck the sap from plants and can eventually cause sickness and even death (to your plants that is).

I cant see any ants in the above photos, but if they are there, then they would be the cause of the scale. They bring them in and 'farm' them for their sticky excretments. Spray the scale with very diluted white oil. Then get rid of the ants.

Use the search engine here to search 'scale' & 'ants'

*edit-spelling

Edited by LokStok
  • Like 1

Yup you've got scale. Use ant sand to get rid of the ants (it's toxic but it works, keep the kids and pets away). Then rub off the scale by hand, just using your fingers and then do the white oil pray, or soap spray continuously for a while, like daily.

can i use ordinary detergent?

I just use Earth Choice dishwashing liquid. Anything will do, as it works by using the soap to block up the airholes of the insect, suffocating it. Doesn't work on eggs though, so new hatchlings need to be sprayed too.

mhm thanks very much i guess my solution was too diluted

it needs to be sticky, right?

Mix some vegetable oil in with the detergent, that will clog the little fuckers up. You want more vegetable oil than detergent about 4 parts oil to 1 part detergent.

The ants will need a different strategy' if you can make a moat where the pot is sitting above a tray (but not directly in) of water most ants won't go into the water and get into your plants.

If the ants are already in the pot you will have to re-pot or kill the ants and their eggs with poison first.

mhm thanks okay okay btw what attracts ants? i dont have anything that attracts ants in my garden, or so the internet says

except for bird seeds but theyre gone now

what attracts ants? i dont have anything that attracts ants in my garden, or so the internet says

Food and shelter. You have both in your garden. The ants eat the sugary solution that the scale insects secrete from their glands (it is excess sugars from the plant). They really like it a lot, they will kill for it.

can the ants themselves destroy plants?

i believe the ants can make their nests around the roots, leaving air pockets that can fill with water and promote rot. like others have said, it is best ti remove plant from soil and thoroughly wash roots then replant in fresh soil. they will also 'farm' scale insects on your plants, which can be a problem. if you also have scale, you may need to use a systemic pesticide or similar.