The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LikeAshesWeFade

So called 'mates' telling you to throw away your plants coz your addicted to drugs.

You would think the people closest to us would be the most understanding of our hobbies. But apparently this is not so.

I find my interests are just not very mainstream, i find myself talking about fungi to some people and mentally have to stop myself,. Just as my music nerd friends have to stop themselves blabbing on about the latest sample packs and syths, to me yes a light hearted conversation is great but a in-depth technical conversation looses my interest . But been very interested and knowing alot about a subject that is taboo in society is to some people a warning sign! It is best to keep conversations about some subjects close to one chest, sometimes a cactus must just be a cactus not a mystical portal to another level of understanding.

Maybe we need a secret handshake

the only time my friends are concerned about me and my plants is when i talk about them too much and bore them probably ahah and they are least concerned when they are enjoying them with me! im lucky in this way i guess most of my friends are interested aswell. just starting to slowly tell my mum aswell as things keep slipping out haha but shes cool i just gotta ease her into it

All my plants are medicinal. When you use this term, people react with far more respect. As others have said, if you can give an example of use in traditional and modern settings it sounds much less confronting and actually quite interesting. I can't remember the number of times I've had to take a deep breath when someone suggests that I just grow drugs, it really winds me up and I like to sit them down and discuss it with them so they know where I stand, and so it doesn't sound dodgy.

Unfortunately many of the plants we grow, and the context in which they are used, is still very taboo in many circles, and even the term ethnobotany means something to these people which is completely out of line with the actual root of the word. The only way to break down these barriers is by talking, talking, talking and prove to them that this is a really serious subject which is actually crucial to our existence.

giving advice like shutting friends away, is stupid.

except if they were never friends: if its so easy to decide something like that, they were not real friends so the real reason is not what they think about your plants.

which rather indicates you might have to think of more about what friends are like.

I got several friends that dont share my sometimes extreme habits, they're friends though.

I suppose everyone has made friends according to the drugs he takes, especially when young, l even though I strongly believe this is the wrong criterion for friendship or any relationship.

First time in the rant space - some good meat here!

I find that if you really want an accutate opinion from someone, go ask your worst enemy what they think and why. They'll cut you to the bone in a nice neat concise and blunt fashion - they often have a well formed opinion of you based on hate or some other deep emotion, which is what really counts - rather than idle commentary on your life from a friends 'armchair' perspective.

If you spend a bit of time building your own confidence and being proud of what you do, then people and their idle comments are powerless against you. It often helps to ask yourself "why did they say that?" - Jealousy, spite, fear etc... are often the root cause of someone else picking on you... if thats the case, you're in a good position to help them learn...

All my mates are either addled fuckups that are worse than me or they are office monkeys who misbehave on weekends. Stop hanging around with inner city latte sipping wankers.