The Corroboree
tipz

free sex for the disabled

Well, If you are on the disability pension In S.A you might find this interesting.

THE state's Dignity for Disability MP wants taxpayers to fund sex workers for people with disabilities.

Today, Kelly Vincent will weigh into the debate on decriminalising sex work by calling for a more "permissive" culture around using disability services funding to pay for access to a sex worker or sex therapy.

Ms Vincent conceded there would need to be eligibility criteria and limits to government-funded access to sex workers but this could be facilitated through the Government's new self-managed funding system. However, this would be reliant on the passing in Parliament of a Bill decriminalising sex work.

Ms Vincent said her proposal would not "necessarily mean" extra government funding, but a change in policy "so that money which might already be allocated for physical therapies or mental health services could be legitimately spent on sex services".

Should sex workers be paid by public money?

"We need to create a culture within disability service provision that is accepting that many people ... with a disability are sexually active or have sexual desires," she said.

Ms Vincent said research showed there were proven benefits of sex therapy, and cited programs in Scandinavian countries which allowed access to government-funded sex therapy.

Her call comes as NSW sex worker Rachel Wotton visits Adelaide to brief MPs before a screening of the documentary Scarlet Road tonight, which features her work with clients with a disability.

Labor MP Steph Key had a private member's Bill before Parliament to decriminalise sex work before it was prorogued at the end of last year.

She is now redrafting the Bill and plans to reintroduce it in about a month. In drafting her Bill, Ms Key said she had come across people with disabilities already covertly hiring sex workers and she supported Ms Vincent's proposal.

Adelaide sex worker and vice-president of the Scarlet Alliance Ari Reid supported the proposal, adding sex workers could help people with intellectual disabilities to learn about safe sex and appropriate sexual behaviour.

"It's often a long time since someone (with a disability) has been touched in a sensual way," she said. "I'd really like to see a time when we can speak about it openly."

What do people think of this scheme ? It's a controversial one...

• Like 4

I really wonder about the ppl who run this country, lets encourage ppl with intellectual disabilitys,to engage in sexual activity, so we produce more intellectual handicapped ppl with severe intellectual disorders, perhaps there offspring will run for parliament when they grow into adults.. maybe they should propose a bill to give a dole bludger a fortnightly hooker also as an incentive to look for work!

• Like 1

I really wonder about the ppl who run this country, lets encourage ppl with intellectual disabilitys,to engage in sexual activity, so we produce more intellectual handicapped ppl with severe intellectual disorders, perhaps there offspring will run for parliament when they grow into adults.. maybe they should propose a bill to give a dole bludger a fortnightly hooker also as an incentive to look for work!

wow. so many things wrong with that. you're saying people with disabilities should be precluded from engaging in sex lest one should happen to procreate? should they also be kept out of personal relationships lest it inflame the carnal desire? better not let them go outside, we know how saturated society is with sex, imagine if that made them want to lead as normal life as possible? i ask you, what is happening to our once great nation ?

nb: presumably people employed for such a service would at the very least use protection.

• Like 5

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/01/31/3419557.htm

Rachel Wotton is a sex worker whose client list includes several people with disabilities.

Broadcast date: Tuesday 31 January 2012

Rachel Wotton says that people with a disability have adult desires just like anyone else, and for those without a partner a sex worker can be a godsend.

Often it's the parents of the client who initiate contact with her, on behalf of their adult child.

Rachel is the co-founder of a network that seeks to bring, as she says, two of the most marginalised groups of people in the community together: Touching Base.

She was recently the subject of an SBS documentary called Scarlet Road.

=======

You can either listen to each Conversations interview by clicking on the audio or you can download each interview as an mp3 by right clicking on the blue heading under the audio.

wow, a progressive notion by a polly? i'm shocked.

where's the catch?

Sounds like a bunch of hookers are just trying to find some government funded work so they can increase there bank balances,if these ppl are disabled without the adequate intelligence( mental disabilitys) god only knows to what extent, how they perceive the world or what there thoughts are, christ ive met some fairly intelligent ppl with some bizarre perversions or deviancy, so lets introduce disabled ppl to hookers so they can perceive woman in a sexual manner?? there is something seriously wrong with this draft i think..as for what happened to this great nation by the looks of it, its raising our lovely union jack and southern cross, to the lowest denominator of degradation for woman, prostitution!

I think if highly regulated and selective, this could actually be highly beneficial.

I dont generally agree with prostitution, but in this case It's different. Imagine being stuck in a lifeless body, with strong sexual urges and not even having the ability to relieve themselves ? torture !

But 'perhaps' It should be restricted to those that cant relieve themselves

(EDIT) "I dont agree with prostitution" does not mean i judge those that participate or dont think it should not be legalised.

Edited by tipz

I watched a doco on sex workers who work for disabled people.

It really changed my opinion about the profession.

Some of the people they worked for had the worst lives imaginable, and there services were a truly humanitarian effort bringing a moments light into an otherwise dark miserable existence.

It wasn't all about sex as most people would assume, much of the time it was just to have some physical contact and intimacy that they would otherwise never get. Many of those people are excluded from most of what life has to offer and to have some intimate contact was the only bit of normalcy that they ever get. The parents and friends of the people with disabilities were always very supportive

A very valuable service I'd say.

• Like 7

prostitution will always exist, just like drug use will always exist, this needs to be an accepted fact.

what is needed is harm minimisation, ie prostitution should be legal and regulated, drugs should be legal and regulated.

taboos around sex and drugs are archaic, both can be very beneficial, sex therapy has many benefits, maybe do a smidgen of research before forming your preconceptions.

edit: spelling

Edited by chnt
  • Like 8

From my experience with brothels there usually run by bikers and the workers are iced off there face!

• Like 2

Applesnail

Just imagine you'd broken your back and the whole world had shut you out.

Sex and intimacy could possibly never be on offer again, most people off the opposite sex would never consider you in that way again.

Do think you would still have those desires ?

Do you think disabled people don't deserve them ?

It's not all about sex, people just need human contact and intimacy.

• Like 4

Im mostly referring to cases that involve serious mental disabilitys, not a person in a wheel chair with no legs who can still get a boner, or joe blow who broke his back and disfigured his upper lip while riding a motorcycle and now has a head like a jar of foreskins, but the more severe cases of mental deficiency or serious neuro disorders like mental retardation or borderline intelllectual functioning who can have the capacity to have a whole array of various psychological idiosyncracies..

Edited by applesnail

Im with Tipz and Sally D....dont really like the profession in general, but where there is a demand there will always be supply. And for those who are mature/ with it enough to understand the notion of physical intimacy, then this could big a HUG mercy in an otherwise shit stink of a life..

I can imagine it could brighten up an intellectually impaired persons world for a whole year/s, as when stuck inside their own body, they can always think back to it......nothing like reminiscing on old experiences, whether sexual, or just a great experience in general. For someone who gets very little to none of it, sex/sexual relief would be a life lasting impacting moment.

• Like 1

I really wonder about the ppl who run this country, lets encourage ppl with intellectual disabilitys,to engage in sexual activity, so we produce more intellectual handicapped ppl with severe intellectual disorders, perhaps there offspring will run for parliament when they grow into adults

Perhaps we should sterilise them applesnail ?

• Like 1

perhaps therapeutic massages would be more suitable for severe psychologically disabled folk, so they get there physical intimacy and a frustrating chubby!...the rub without the tug...i can only imagine a disabled person with obsessive compulsive disorder getting some pussy for the first time :scratchhead:

it's funny when people bitch about things like prostitution and how it's wrong, but when it comes to media, fashion, popular culture and entertainment like movies and pop music, there's no fucking word from these same people...

is it perhaps because prostitution is a taboo and it is easy to conform to social norms and be against taboos? and similarly all the other things i mentioned are completely normalised so once again it is easy to think there is nothing wrong with these things?

if you really care about society objectifying women... if you really care about things that have a negative impact to society... if you really care about children being negatively influenced from an extremely young age...

• Like 1

Perhaps we should sterilise them applesnail ?

I was gonna suggest this, but im already frowned upon in this thread! I didnt wanna be labelled a Dr kervorkian :wink:

Edited by applesnail

I think it could be an excellent idea for certain disabilities and if its regulated properly, if you've ever worked with ppl with disabilities you know they certainly have adult desires even ppl with extremely diminished mental ability still have the urge

• Like 2

I was gonna suggest this, but im already frowned upon in this thread! I didnt wanna be labelled a Dr kervorkian :wink:

Why would anyone compare you with a right to die activist? Maybe your thinking of Eugen Fischer. :scratchhead:

Implying that prostitutes are going to start pumping out babies to fathers with severe mental and physical illness shows how informed your opinions are.

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 3

^^ Thank you! that mix up of euthanasia and sterilization was annoying me.

• Like 1

My only concern is that a line needs to be drawn, and the question of where to draw that line would be difficult to answer. I mean, we're assuming that the services are being offered because many disabled people have trouble getting out and meeting people, and would probably find that a lot of able-bodied people aren't attracted to them. In slang terms, they have trouble getting laid. But what about other people who have trouble getting laid? Is there something in particular about a person with a physical disability that means that they have more of a right to this service than others? What about people with social phobias? Certainly they must also find it difficult to meet people and have less sex as a result. In fact, a severe social phobia can actually be considered a disability, and it can it difficult to get, and hold down, a job. Do we give a disability pension to people with severe social phobias in this country? If so, would it also be right to offer sexual services to such people? Would this suddenly be taken advantage of by people who want the services but don't have the disability? And what sort of disabilities do we decide are deserving of, or require, these services? How do we decide this? Do people with vision impairments or hearing impairments get them? People with amputations or partial paralysis? Stroke victims for example? People with significant mental disabilities? The question of where to draw the line is a difficult one, and I look forward to seeing more debate on this.

• Like 5

Sounds like a bunch of hookers are just trying to find some government funded work so they can increase there bank balances,if these ppl are disabled without the adequate intelligence( mental disabilitys) god only knows to what extent, how they perceive the world or what there thoughts are, christ ive met some fairly intelligent ppl with some bizarre perversions or deviancy, so lets introduce disabled ppl to hookers so they can perceive woman in a sexual manner?? there is something seriously wrong with this draft i think..as for what happened to this great nation by the looks of it, its raising our lovely union jack and southern cross, to the lowest denominator of degradation for woman, prostitution!

So... all disabled people that would want this service are men then? And all sex workers (not "prostitutes" or "hookers") are women?

How interesting.

• Like 3

And I guess there's never any gay disabled people, that would just be absurd...

• Like 1

@ballz

none of that would matter if gov didnt waste money on war inc. war on drugs, and wasting money on putting people in jail, and the whole justice system and all the other shit they love to waste money on.

• Like 1

Perhaps this is my calling.... to sacrifice my body as a male sex worker for the disabled females of this world !

Maybe prostitution isn't that bad :scratchhead:

It is like hundreds of dollars an hour too isn't it ? AND id be making so many happy ? :blush: